The Tarot Tour

nisaba

An Italian-Australian friend of mine and I were discussing what we'd do if either of us ended up being Lotteries Office financed millionaires.

I'd go straight to Iceland, do not pass go do not collect $200, for the Viking burial mounds and the volcanoes.

She'd go straight to Indonesia for the sunshine and the craft goodies for her shop.

She'd go to Italy (Calabria) for her family connections, and I said I'd tag along as long as we also went to Tuscany to eat. (Lo-o-ove Tuscan food!)

So she suggested Milan for the shopping <cringe>. Dresses, handbags, jewellery ... I couldn't think of anything more hideously traumatic - I'd need psychiatric help for years afterwards to recover. So I suggested that I'd hang in the 5-star hotel, avoiding the horrors of her shopping trip.

Then something tripped my memory, and I suggested that while she Did The Horrible, I'd go and stake out all the historical sites in Milan associated with the Visconti Family at about the time the Visconti-Sforza deck was being painted. Then on our way home, of course, I'd have to stop off at Wales for a side-trip to see the Chun Quoit on Granny Jones' Death card, then closer to home, Richmond, Tasmania, to see the famous Richmond Bridge, the earliest convict-built stone arched bridge, featured in the Four Cups and the Star.

Which brings me to a Tarot World Tour. I'd have to visit the studios of the MRP in Prague, of course, and an ex of mine always longed to see the architecture in Prague, so I could make a walking-tour through the city out of nostalgia. I'd have to visit Dorothy Morrison in America, a long-distance friend since around 1989 or 1990 and later on the creator of the Whimsical deck.

I have a really vague memory scuttling away in my mind, like the tail of a lizard scurrying under fallen leaves, of Gregory (or someone) talking about a park full of Tarot sculptures ... er ... somewhere in Europe, I think.

Once I've done Iceland and eaten in Tuscany, and M has caught up with Calabrian relatives and fried her brain in shopping centres, the TAROT TOUR will start in earnest. So, where else are we going to go? It has to be *directly* relevant to Tarot, and expense is no object. Le Fanu, did you say something once about a courtyard in Lisbon? <scratches head> We will, of course, tour your collection and those quirky little Tarot shops you go to, and of course a burglary-run through Gregory's Tarot Room.

Where else? What public international sites are Tarot-themed?

velvetina

the Tarot Garden of Nikki de sant Phalle??

Alta

gregory needs to chime in, as I think she has been to almost every tarot shrine imaginable.

I would love to go to LoScarabeo and alidastore.

Le Fanu

Le Fanu, did you say something once about a courtyard in Lisbon? <scratches head> We will, of course, tour your collection and those quirky little Tarot shops you go to...
Yes, it was this thread.

There's also a strange rambling mansion in the woods nearby called Quinta da Regaleira which is a gothic construction with numerology and alchemy and hermeticism and Masonry all worked into the architecture.

Plus, the hotel where Crowley stayed - now a stylish boutique hotel - could be worked into the itinerary (cocktails on the terrace?) and then a drive out to the cliff where, with the help of the modernist poet Fernando Pessoa, he staged his suicide.

gregory

gregory needs to chime in, as I think she has been to almost every tarot shrine imaginable.

Pfft. :p I love you anyway.

San Marino for alida yes - if there is a store rather than a warehouse - but it would be fun to meet Argeo :D (WOW there IS a store. OK - adds to Must Do list :D)

Niki's Giardino is near Garavicchio, in Tuscany. It is absolutely amazing.
http://www.nikidesaintphalle.com/

Milan - yes, for Menegazzi's store, and for the Sforza castle.

Riola for the Museo.

Bologna for the St. Petroni Cathedral- which I missed and shall have to go back for :(

Torino for the Lo Scarabeo offices and to meet all the staff.

Ferrara for the astrological tarot-y painting in the palace. (I haven't been but it is on my list.)

Siena, for the Duomo.

Marseille - just because.

Avenieres - if you can get in.... Check out the chapel here.
Paris - for the museum of playing cards in Issy which has LOADS of TdMs.

The British Museum - likewise.

The Warburg Institute in London for Frieda's paintings. NOT that they'll let you in.... :mad: God knows I've tried...

Glasgow, to meet Adam McLean - if he will show you his stuff you will be fascinated. (Oh - and use a Tardis and see his exhibition of Oriental decks from a couple of years ago !)

More will occur to me later....

nisaba

<feverishly makes notes>

nisaba

M's comment when pointed to the url: "Lol i cant believe u put in our convo...... Haha ur one funny chick."