Green Stuff, Black Splotches, Cleaning?

Kosjitov

Alright. I'm at a point where if I don't ask, I will go insane.

A few months back I found my "wand" which happened to be crystal and I'm fairly certain it is quartz. Unfortunately, I've started to see... well, GREEN in the nooks/cracks. How do I clean this out and stop it from happening in the future? I don't use it all that often but the green makes me wonder if there is something wrong.

I also bought a piece of citrine recently and it has specks of black about it. I'm not sure if this is something that can be cleaned off.

Also, if I have to clean quartz or citrine, how should I do so without harming the crystal?

N1ghts0ng

as far as cleansing crystals, clear quartz and citrine are sturdy enough that rinsing them in cool fresh water (some may say if there's a point, to point it towards the drain), will not harm them and will remove dust/lint, etc that may be collecting in the nooks and crannies.
not sure about the chemical make up of the crystals, but perhaps it's something oxidizing? like a patina that forms over copper? sorry, i'm not sure :-(
I also noticed the "freckles" showing up on a citrine piece i have. I cleansed them physically and energetically and the freckles haven't disappeared. *shrug* I don't feel any difference in the energy of the stone, so i just figured it's something of the stone's "personality" coming out.

Padma

Alright. I'm at a point where if I don't ask, I will go insane.

A few months back I found my "wand" which happened to be crystal and I'm fairly certain it is quartz. Unfortunately, I've started to see... well, GREEN in the nooks/cracks. How do I clean this out and stop it from happening in the future? I don't use it all that often but the green makes me wonder if there is something wrong.

I also bought a piece of citrine recently and it has specks of black about it. I'm not sure if this is something that can be cleaned off.

Also, if I have to clean quartz or citrine, how should I do so without harming the crystal?

Try a toothbrush and a bit of seasalt or baking soda, neither of which will harm your crystal. Be gentle - brush for longer rather than harder...

N1ghts0ng

never thought of that Padma, thanks for the idea :)

Padma

I hope it works out for you :) In regard to the citrine, I have never heard of black spots suddenly appearing, but I see that N1ghts0ng has had the experience. If it doesn't come off with the gentle brushing, I would accept it as part of the stone...though black spots and green bits in the lines just make me think immediately of mould, so I would wonder if you are storing them in a place where they can get damp...? Do you live in a damp place? if so, perhaps using some salt in the storage box, or even some teabags, will keep your crystals drier and less prone to the dampness blight :)

N1ghts0ng

not sure if the spots i've seen on mine are similar to Kosjitov's... the freckles my citrine has are actually internal spots, beneath the surface of the stone.

Kosjitov

I assure you, the area is not damp. It does look like the green from copper to be honest.

I tried with a toothbrush but didn't use anything chemical for fear of hurting it. I'll give it a try with some baking soda. :)

Glad to see my citrine isn't the only freckled bit. I'll let you know how it works out later today.

AJ

How did you do on your crystal?

Kosjitov

I took the suggestion for baking soda and wet a toothbrush and tapped the bristles into baking soda. Did small motions in circles in some spots and back and forth across the little fissures. It was a bit difficult due to the small metal bands that I didn't want to get any water or baking soda on. The quartz looks much much much better, that corroded green copper look has come out of the cracks for the most part- though I'd still like to know how/why it got there! The citrine didn't respond to anything. The speckles look to be surface only but permanent :(

Sorry for the late reply. Been running around like a chicken with my head cut off for an interview and then got sick to top it all off.

Thanks to everyone for the wonderful suggestions. I will try and keep some teabags with the wand for the future just to be on the safe side.

Padma

I took the suggestion for baking soda and wet a toothbrush and tapped the bristles into baking soda. Did small motions in circles in some spots and back and forth across the little fissures. It was a bit difficult due to the small metal bands that I didn't want to get any water or baking soda on. The quartz looks much much much better, that corroded green copper look has come out of the cracks for the most part- though I'd still like to know how/why it got there! The citrine didn't respond to anything. The speckles look to be surface only but permanent :(

Sorry for the late reply. Been running around like a chicken with my head cut off for an interview and then got sick to top it all off.

Thanks to everyone for the wonderful suggestions. I will try and keep some teabags with the wand for the future just to be on the safe side.

Hope you got the job and that you are feeling better, Kosjitov.... :) and I am glad the baking soda worked for you - I have cleaned several crystals with it, and some jewellery - it is a gentle and natural way to remove surface dirt :) and because it is salt based, the crystals don't mind it at all! lol :)