I trimmed my Thoth and NOW I get it!

Karmagoth

I was dusting my bookshelves, and that sort of evolved into re-arranging my decks and books, and that sort of evolved into looking through my decks...... funny how the dusting can take all day sometimes...

Anyway, I found my awful Thoth deck that I've had since I was 16. One of the versions with huge cards (that I can't shuffle) and murky green borders (that make the artwork look dull and dreary). Now I've read many threads on how wonderful this deck is, the brilliant images and how it talks to people, and I've thought about my own Thoth, gone 'meh' and moved on. It's not really bothered me because I'm still new to tarot and it sounds a very tricky deck to get to grips with. But still....

In a last ditch attempt to try and see what all the fuss is about, I got out the scissors and corner-rounder and got rid of those dreadful borders.

All that fuss? Now I see what it's about. I REALLY see it. Wow! :) :) :)

Cassandra022

some people will probably frown in consternation that you trimmed a greenie, lol.

but yay for trimming! it really does open up some decks. though personally i like my thoth best with top and bottom borders/titles left on, side borders chopped off, so not a total trim.

glad you like it now, it's an awesome deck :]

Karmagoth

I know, I've read a few threads on greenies! I felt bad at first, but now I'm SO glad I did it :)

Sulis

I know, I've read a few threads on greenies! I felt bad at first, but now I'm SO glad I did it :)
Don't feel bad - if you've connected with the deck since the trimming then that can only be a good thing.
A few years ago you couldn't give the green-tinted Thoth decks away here either, no-one wanted them, they were even known to make some people feel sick. Now they're sought after and fetch high prices.. The fickleness of tarot fashion :laugh:

Karmagoth

Thanks Sulis :heart:

It was my first tarot deck - I bought it when I was a young, impressionable goth and thought Crowley was amazing :) It has a lot of non-tarot memories attached to it too. I've never seen an untinted version, or a regular sized one. Just this one. And now I can shuffle it properly, and lay it out comfortably, in fact I can't stop looking at it. It will finally get the attention it deserves. Let's hope it doesn't hold all those years stuck in a box against me!