Tarot Estate Planning: Where will your collection go?

Chiriku

I would leave mine to the only relative of mine to whom I've acknowledged my involvement in tarot (a sibling). She has no interest in tarot and, in fact, is an open skeptic; she questions why I, of an even more "logical" and scientific background than she, have an interest in tarot as more than a passing curiosity.

In light of that, I'd never ask her to hold onto my decks as keepsakes; I'd want her to sell them. That way, she gets some extra money and the tarot world gets some nice decks, several of which are currently out of print and highly sought after (who knows if they still will be when I die, but let's roll with the idea).

She is a savvy consumer and business-minded person alike and would be more than capable of doing the research on deck pricing, setting up listings on eBay or other sites, etc.

She is also extremely discreet and wouldn't reveal to other relatives the nature of the personal property she was disposing of on my behalf. The rest of the family are extremely devout religious fundamentalists, and it would be a crushing blow to them to learn of my extensive involvement in the divinatory arts. It would intensify the pain of my death for them to believe that I was now suffering eternal torment in hellfire due to my "occult" interests; my sister would deftly shield them from such upsetting knowledge.

What do you want to happen to your collection after you're gone?

Bonus: Would you specify who gets which deck? Which decks have you earmarked for which people?

PathWalker

My youngest daughter, who is a member here, will get my collection - then it's up to her what she does. She will probably keep those she likes, and sell or gift away those she doesn't, and that's fine with me.

Padma

I would want mine to be split between my 3 nieces, who all have an interest in the divinatory arts, and with whom I have strong emotional bonds... My collection is still quite small, however, (though I appear to be adding to it daily!) and contains no OOP decks ;p though they might be by the time I kick the old bucket!

That was a really interesting question, Chiriku, and I found the way you will handle yours to be deft and gentle, and very considerate to your relatives...how thoughtful :) and certainly a *big and important* question for the AT'ers who have massive collections...

cardlady22

Everything will depend on when & how I die. If it's sudden and right now, they will end up trashed. There's no adult living in the same state as I do who would give a flying flip to re-home them. And yes, they would have absolute cows to find all of what I've been doing. })

The crowned one

I suspect my kids would each take one as a memento of one of their empirical minded Dad's many non-empirical hobbies :) The rest I would hope they sell for a good sum of money.

Chiriku

My youngest daughter, who is a member here, will get my collection - then it's up to her what she does. She will probably keep those she likes, and sell or gift away those she doesn't, and that's fine with me.

Well, that's certainly handy, that you're both into tarot.

I would want mine to be split between my 3 nieces, who all have an interest in the divinatory arts, and with whom I have strong emotional bonds.

That's an ideal scenario for bequest, people younger than you who value what you valued and will get both use and enjoyment from your gift as well as fond memories of you. We should all be so lucky.

Yes, my family mean no harm with their fear of breaching the Abrahamic "code." If anything, I'd be the one causing them harm with the knowledge of my tarotism (my mother had hints early in my tarot life of my "activities" and it caused her deep alarm and anxiousness on my behalf). They'll never change their views, so it's kinder to keep them in the dark about it all.

Everything will depend on when & how I die.

Good point.

Chiriku

I suspect my kids would each take one as a memento of one of their empirical minded Dad's many non-empirical hobbies :) The rest I would hope they sell for a good sum of money.

Yes, such mementos not only provide fodder for fond amusement, but tacitly point out that logic and empiricism do not foreclose interest in matters of "the beyond." Sometimes they enhance it.

nikkipeachy

My collection is relatively small, though I continue to add to it. If I were to die in the very near future, my husband would probably keep them for our kids. My son is 8 and loves looking at the cards and asking questions. If it were when my children were grown, the collection would be split between them. They could sell what they didn't want.

Chiriku

Bonus question

Would you specify who gets which deck? Which decks have you earmarked for which people?

Carla

What do you want to happen to your collection after you're gone?
I really don't care what they do with my tarot collection after I'm gone.

Bonus: Would you specify who gets which deck? Which decks have you earmarked for which people?
I don't know anyone who would be interested in any of them, so no I would not.

:)