Miniature decks- what do you do with them?

Asbestos Mango

I mean, they're next to impossible to shuffle, easy to lose...

I keep my Tiny Universal Waite in a large scallop shell (a flat bowl would also do nicely, but I like my scallop shell), well mixed and each morning before I go out for my day's activities I draw one and look up an affirmation for it in Tarot Affirmations. If I can ever get to the point where I can haul my tuckus out of bed a bit earlier, I'll start drawing a card and spending a few minutes meditating on it before I start my day.

To me, this seems to be the only useful thing you can do with a deck so tiny. I think the Miniature RWS is large enough to use as a "go deck", it's not that much smaller than the pocket edition. And really, for a daily single card draw, it's a lot easier than unwrapping one of my full-sized decks and drawing a card then wrapping it back up again.

So what do y'all do with your mini decks? I suppose it would be possible to use them for readings, but it seems like it would be a bit tricky.

Glass Owl

I have one of those tiny deck too and I resorted to putting the cards in a small pottery bowl (which has a lid) that I found at the thrift store. (I'm guessing it was for sugar?) Then when the mood strikes me (or my daughter) we pick a card. I wonder if we have lost any cards along the way...

I have a few mini decks but I really don't use them that much. Now that I've reorganized my cabinet I see them when I open it (instead of them being hidden by the taller decks) I may be encouraged to bring them out more.

My husband accidentally bought me the mini Secret deck rather than the regular size and I wonder if it would be used more if I had gotten the regular.

jackdaw*

My favourite deck I ever had was a miniature. When I discovered just how much I clicked with it, how much I enjoyed it, I hunted up an equivalent full-sized copy (same country of publisher, etc.). And it wasn't the same. I went back to the mini. It was my workhorse deck, my go-everywhere deck. Since then I've found that I prefer pocket sized decks - the size of Lenormands, for example - over regular size Tarot decks, and I've acquired a few more.

So what do I do with miniature decks? I read with 'em :) Once you get the hang of shuffling them, the portability and ease of laying out several for spreads or comparing is addictive.

It sounds like the kind of decks you're talking about are those teeny weeny novelty keychain type ones, though? Never had one of those, so can't comment on how to use them ...

emmsma

Yeah, I don't use my World's Tiniest Tarot at all, but LS minis and my Mini Albano Waite I use pretty regularly. And I have a few Mini Marseille decks that I have no trouble working with either.

Sometimes I like to have a variety of image styles to share, in case I am asked for a reading. Its lots easier on my shoulder to carry 10 minis in my purse than 10 regular decks.

Morwenna

My mini-RWS and my pocket Hanson-Roberts have turned into "go decks" because of their size. Not only are they easy to carry around, they're easy to lay out; you don't need a whole lot of room. I need to get a few more like this!

Kosjitov

Mini Dragons is the only one I have. I find the imagery disturbing and rarely read with it... though, apparently it works. I save it for the odd reading when I have the mood to challenge myself.

Amanda

I've never even used my Tiny Universal deck... I just thought it was cute. Then my kids got ahold of it once, and the Knight of Wands was totally submerged in butt cream.

I cleaned it up as best as I could, but it remains in its box- out of reach.

Masa

My Tiny Tarot is on its way to me this week. :D BLEEE I'M EXCITED~

My main plan for it is to play with readings on the desk in front of my keyboard. There's just not enough space here for my real deck, but this is where I like to hang out, and this is where the whole internet of new spreads to try is! I have a drawstring pouch that uncinches into a little satin bowl, so I'm planning for the cards to live there. ♪

Morwenna

A friend of mine ran a Tarot workshop on our club chat room some years ago, using RWS. My mini was perfect; this desk is rather small but the sewing machine cabinet I was using for the computer back then had even less space! The mini worked out fine. And I could see the details just fine too. I picked up some things that some other people with standard size decks missed! :)

P.S. Masa, where did you get a musical note??

Sword King

I feed them to my giant Thoth. ;)