UGGHHH. Wet cards!

MissJo

My lovely rat decided my cards needed a bath, and now they are all sopping wet! Some more than others... the Three of Swords and the King of Wands was actually dripping.

I have them all laid out individually to dry, hoping I don't lose them. Is there anything else I can do to ensure their recovery? I really love this deck, and I can't afford a replacement ):

Cassandra022

what deck was it?

in my experience, a lot of how well they will recover has to do with the cardstock. some is better suited to survive a drenching than others. i once spilled some water on delle vetrate and dame fortune's wheel. dame fortune's wheel sustained permanent visible water damage. you cannot tell at ALL that delle vetrate was ever wet. so it really depends.

but yes, lay them out individually, let them all dry, and then press them under something very heavy for a while, i would suggest.

Zezina

Perhaps you could investigate the infections that can be found in rat urine, even clean healthy pet rats, and the effect these infections can have on humans.

It might be time to replace your cards.

MissJo

what deck was it?

in my experience, a lot of how well they will recover has to do with the cardstock. some is better suited to survive a drenching than others. i once spilled some water on delle vetrate and dame fortune's wheel. dame fortune's wheel sustained permanent visible water damage. you cannot tell at ALL that delle vetrate was ever wet. so it really depends.

but yes, lay them out individually, let them all dry, and then press them under something very heavy for a while, i would suggest.

It's the Deviant Moon, and I shall!

Perhaps you could investigate the infections that can be found in rat urine, even clean healthy pet rats, and the effect these infections can have on humans.

It might be time to replace your cards.
She didn't pee all over the cards, she dumped water on them.
Besides, it's in the rats nature to mark everywhere and anywhere; they pee on their ratty friends, their food, their owners, their fellow pets, their owners friends, everywhere. That's just what rats do and any rat owner can confirm that, it doesn't cause infection. In fact, it's more likely that the owner spreads an infection to their pet rats.

MissJo

I think the deck will survive, most of them are dry except a few lightly damp areas.

Three of them are really soaked though, I laid them flat and covered them in rice. I know that's what you're supposed to do when you get your electronics wet... maybe it'll work for cards?

vee

My Morgan Greer got wet. It's a different kind of card stock, but it didn't hurt the cards too much. Some of them are a little warped and harder, but I actually kind of like it. Gives the deck character. :D

People put electronics in rice because rice absorbs water. So it will take all the water out of the cards, but I don't know if it will prevent them from warping/damage. As soon as they are dry, I would take Cassandra's advice and lay them under something heavy.

And if a few cards end up damaged beyond saving, post in the Lost & Found Singles Card thread! Deviant Moon is super popular, I'm sure someone will have an incomplete deck and can help you out.

Moonboy

Dear MissJo

Message me your address and I will send you replacement cards :)

~regards,

Partick Valenza

Padma

My lovely rat decided my cards needed a bath, and now they are all sopping wet! Some more than others... the Three of Swords and the King of Wands was actually dripping.

I have them all laid out individually to dry, hoping I don't lose them. Is there anything else I can do to ensure their recovery? I really love this deck, and I can't afford a replacement ):

the rice is a brilliant treatment - after that, I would put a dry towel *over* them on an ironing board and iron at a VERY LOW HEAT to ensure they remained straight and sure :) make sure the iron does not touch the card!

vee

Oh goodness, how wonderful of an offer to make her, Patrick! Now that's service. :)

canid

Kind of what Lotus Padma said. Put them in between towels & lay some heavy books on top. I've not tried ironing because I've heard the finish on newer decks is so plasticized it'll bubble & melt. And perhaps the protective fabric you put on top will melt to the card. I also like the rice idea but they'll dry warped.