Hi, I'm, a taroholic

SolSionnach

I just ran across a quote I thought you guys might find interesting.
Evidently Sigmund Freud once wrote that he found book collecting an addiction second only to nicotine.

Substitute 'tarot deck' for 'book', and I think you have the gist of it.

I haven't bought decks in a while, and was perfectly happy. Then I started reading ATF again, and suddenly I have 4 decks in the mail, and am seriously considering a 5th... and the first deck I bought has already arrived: Mary El. That's 5-6 decks in what, three weeks?

OMG. ::idly wondering if smoking is more expensive than deck collecting::

vee

Depends on how much you smoke and how many decks you buy! :laugh: I only smoke a pack a month so decks are way more expensive :$

Carla

I like to compare tarot decks to rounds of drinks. How many rounds of drinks would pay for a tarot deck? Guess what, I don't go to pubs. So therefore, tarot deck buying is my equivalent form of entertainment. Plus they don't make me throw up. (Well, not usually.)

That's my logic and I'm sticking to it.

Bhavana

I'll leave my personal thoughts about Freud and his opinions for another time and place - but yeah, books can be addictive - I have a hard time getting rid of them, and it gets to be a real hassle lugging them all around when i move - but still, can't get rid of them. I love books. I still have some that I read as a kid, and as a teen. Someday when I settle down somewhere I want to have my brother with the exquisite carpentry skills build me a library in my home. With some special cabinets for all my other collections...

Le Fanu

Similar to Carla; my logic is "have you seen the price of football tickets and how much it costs to go and see a couple of decent games per month of your club?" Being a football fan is expensive...

Just think of all those expensive games I never go to and all the extra money I have leftover.

Glass Owl

Tarot (along with oracles) is basically my only hobby along with reading. In the past few years, my deck purchases have tapered off a lot, money and space both being factors.

Like Carla, I figure that all of the cost cutting measures I've been taking means that it is okay for me to treat myself to a deck every once and awhile once the essentials are taken care of. I don't drink or smoke. I don't go out to the movies/theater/sporting events/concerts and I rarely buy music or dvds. (Netflix is a lifesaver!) I only go out to eat on special occasions and I buy most clothes second hand. I only get hair cuts twice a year. I buy books second hand or check them out at the library. I clip coupons. I even try to avoid taking the second bus by walking or taking my bicycle.

Heck, I even find myself putting things back at the store. Do I really need that hair dye? I mean, I can live with a few gray hairs, especially if that means I can put some of that $ towards a new deck.

I don't know if that makes me a tarotholic, maybe just an enthusiastic fan :)

RunningWild

I was a bibliophile long before I found Tarot decks. When books became affordable, I opted to purchase rather than borrow from the library. I have rarely given any away. So add Tarot decks to that plus the Tarot books and well...

astronautica

Every time I stop to think about all the money I spend on Tarot decks I remind myself that they're pretty much the only thing I spend money on. (Every now and then I binge on shopping for clothes, but when I'm buying clothes, I'm buying decks) And I figure I can always eat at work for free, so food money is expendable when it comes to Tarot shopping :D I embrace my tarotholism with pride!

desertrat

I am very similar to astronautica - tarot is my only addiction (if one does not count chocolate and diet pepsi). My SO's thing is eating out. He spends a lot more money on mediocre food than I do on tarot decks. And once you eat the food, it's gone for good. Tarot decks love you forever. :D :heart:

Padma

I quit smoking a week ago. So now I can buy lots and lots of decks! lol ;)

Was very amused and interested by everyone else's answers here :) thanks for making the thread, Solsionnach :)