Are You A "Closet" Tarot Person?

LadyDeborah

I wonder how many of you lead somewhat of a secret life when it comes to Tarot? There are just some people I could never bring the subject up to because they would not understand. I don't ask them to, either. I make no secret that I collect the cards if the subject should somehow come into the conversation, but I wouldn't just tell my neighbors, for example, that I read Tarot and love it the way that I do. They are on bookshelves in a room in my house, so I don't go out of my way to hide them, but people seldom go in that room who come here. It's so nice to be in a group such as this one where everyone understands.

Minotauro

well , my parents dont know , they sometimes come into my room and it might have been out there in plain sight , they do know I collect a lot of skulls figurines and skull related things , she also knows I have a crystal ball a gargoyle candles and whatnot , but she might just think I have a peculiar taste in decoration haha , but I ussualy avoid talking with my parents when possible , I keep the chat light if I have to talk with them haha. but my friends do know and I have brought the subject myself. my tarots are in boxes and drawers , but the cleaning ladies have seen them haha.

I guess I am kind of in the closet but just because I dont want to have to explain it to them , and I dont really care if they like it or not haha

Richard

I certainly do not broadcast my interest in Tarot. There is no reason to do so, as I am not a professional reader. However, I do not make any special effort to hide the fact. I'm sort of in the closet, but the closet door is open.

Aset

I'm kind of half-in, half-out. If it came up, I'd talk about it, but I try not to. My close friends know, but nobody else really does.

VGimlet

No, not at all. I've been reading most of my life.

I don't shove it up people's noses. But if it comes up in a casual conversation I might mention it. I kind of like to, because some people think tarot is 'woo-woo' (you know what I mean) and I am a very down to earth person.

I have had a few people tell me I'm messing with 'dangerous things', but far fewer than you'd think. I think about 3, in basically 40 years, and most of those when I was younger.

I know some very religious people, but most are curious rather than judgemental. Especially the ones who get to know me first. Most people are more likely to want me to read for them. :D

It would be hard to keep it a secret anyway, since my sister AND my husband tell everyone anyway, heh.

Ceste

I like the way that was put.. I'd say I'm in the closet, but the doors open and the lights are on.

I don't broadcast it to anyone but I don't hide it either. I'm that way about most things in my life.

jackdaw*

I'm sort of in the closet, but the closet door is open.
:laugh: that's it exactly. My decks are in a box under the bed, but the one I'm using at any given time is out on a shelf in the living room. Not paraded, but there. Since discovering from casually dropped statements from other people that Tarot and fortune-telling are generally accepted in my region, I've become a lot more comfortable about it.

firefrost

I'm sort of in the closet, but the closet door is open.

Me too.

Over the years I've found that it's 50/50 between being pounced on with "Oh, do me a reading"! and "It's not natural!" So, I've kept quiet.

I have both decks I'm working with on my coffee table so if anyone should come into the house they'd see them plain enough.

Where I'm working now though, a guy reads the tarot and he's told me he's brought his deck to work before but I think he was a bit embarrassed about it, saying he couldn't make up his mind about them. I didn't say I was a reader, I'm still a bit too new to test any waters yet. Having said that, if someone had talked to me like I chatted with him about decks, I'd have asked why they were so interested.

Disa

I think I used to hide it-when my daughter was younger. I don't go around broadcasting anything about Tarot at my regular job, but I don't hide anything in my house anymore. The Bohemian Gothic Pewter sits permanently in my living room in it's gorgeous box on a little table beside the couch. The housewives has a permanent home on the dining room buffet.

I guess I'm half in and half out still. My mom, an aunt, a few cousins, several friends, my sister, of course the DH and my daughter all know- and whoever it is they tell. But as far as work people, neighbors, etc. I don't bring it up. If people asked a question about tarot, I'd answer. People at the metaphysical shop keep saying I should do the new talent psychic fairs, but I'm afraid to get my name and face out there still- for all the world to see.

tarotbear

The only people I 'hedge' on are job interviewers or recruiters who ask -'You wrote a book? What is it about?'

I am fairly open about my Tarot habit, but I don't shove it down anyone's throat any more than I'd allow some religious fanatic to shove their beliefs down my throat.