How many is too many?

Yineth

[Mods: Please move if this thread belongs in a different section. Sorry!]

This is probably a dumb question to ask, but it was a topic that resurfaces a few times between my friend and I when we browse Tarot cards.

How many decks is too many?

I know there are many users here who have more than one deck in their possessions. I myself currently own three decks and am considering to purchase one or two more due to multiple reasons (ie. I'm addicted to the art). My friend does own three, but prefers one deck as her main and chooses not to add another to her collection for her own reasons.

So how many decks is too many in your opinion? What stops you from getting a deck new or used? And has this topic been already discussed in another thread? If so then I'll just ask for it to be removed :)

Bhavana

I still have under 100 decks - and many I don't like or use, and am just hanging on to them because A.)they may eventually make good or valuable trades or B.) I may meet someone who wants one of them and I can gift it to them
For example, one deck I have that I don't love or use I just found on the wishlist of someone who has some things that I want - and when that happens, it's a beautiful thing!! I've decided I'd like to get rid of some of the excess baggage in my life, so I am going to be more aggressive about finding trades like that.

How many is too many is too personal of a thing. In my opinion, it depends on the individual. How much space they have, what they can afford. If you have no space and no money and keep buying anyway, then there may be a problem that has little to do with tarot and more to do with self control - or lack of it! I am becoming more discriminating....where I used to grab up any deck that came my way, just to have more, I now am more picky, and try to only go after what I love and want and will use on some level.

I understand exactly what you say when you mention addiction to the art! This is probably the most dangerous attraction to tarot - because there are so many beautiful and visually interesting decks out there!! And I have no problem with used decks - in fact, lots of the older more interesting ones are going to be used. You are taking a chance with them - they may be warped, or smell bad, etc - but most often they are fine - I just received a RW today that is between 37 and 42 years old - maybe even older - and it's in EXCELLENT condition in every way. Made my day! In deciding on a used deck, condition is very important, and if time permits, I'll message the seller and ask about it before making a commitment.

Sharysa

Personally, I don't think there IS a limit. If there is, it depends on the person. I have two decks, one of which is my "main" deck, and would love to buy all twenty of my must-have decks, but three things are preventing me:

1) I don't have the money because I'm a broke college student.
2) I don't have the ROOM to store twenty-ish decks of cards because I live in an apartment with my mother and sister.
3) I definitely couldn't use all of them. I used my first Cachet deck because it was what I had, but now I'm almost solely using my Arthurian because I can intuit things much more easily with it. I think out of the twenty decks I want to get, I'd end up using the four or five that I connect best with.

So I'm thinking five decks would be my limit, but for others it wouldn't be close to enough.

gregory

Like beauty - it is in the eye of the beholder. I don't feel I have too many. And - well, um - that - for me - means 1841 is OK.... :D

For ME.

Maybe not for you - or indeed for anyone with a small house :bugeyed:

Alta

Too many decks? Sorry, I just cannot wrap my mind around that concept. :D

jackdaw*

Once upon a time I would have said there was no such thing. Now, if I can't throw 'em all in a backpack with my favourite three or four books and a change of clothes, then I have too many :bugeyed:

Chiska

Too many decks?? Nay, I say, not enough! :D

But, really, it is all personal. I had one deck for 10 years, then I had 3 decks for the next 10 years. For the first 10 years, one was plenty. After that, it wasn't enough. I wanted different decks for different moods, for different readings, for different people. Now, I have 112 or so.

Padma

well...I admire the huge collections here, and I wish I had the patience to make one...but I already have sooo many collections of things - which I have been giving away now every way I can!

When I began coming here, I had 5 decks, and now I have 10...and suddenly I feel like it is enough (for now, anyways!) even though there are several decks I would love to own.

Yineth, just stop when you are full! lol...that might mean ten decks, or a hundred, or like Gregory, over a thousand... it depends upon your appetite and the amount of money and space you have. :) simple!

Disa

oh, yeah- stop when you are full! Perfect!

I stopped counting a long time ago- it must be under 100. I do seem to be full, though. Some I have considered getting rid of for a while, I just can't seem to do it.

AJ

I've had 100's, flung the ones I didn't like, my keepers number around 80.

You can have too much of anything if it isn't good stewardship of your funds. And no one can answer that for someone else.