Help with year cards and such

Grizabella

I've tried to do this for myself before, but I always seem to get lost. Is there anyone who can help me discover whether I'm in a in this year or that right now. What I'm referring to is the addition of numbers of your birthdate, etc. to come up with what kind of year you're in. What I need is someone who would be kind enough to actually figure up for me what I'm in this year and what it will be for the next several years. I always get lost somewhere along the way.

Is it that, if I'm in for instance a Temperance year, that then each subsequent year I progress to the next card in the Tarot deck, which would be the Devil, and then each year I progress forward in numerical sequence? Or is it more random than that? I'm sorry to be so obtuse (three dollar word for "dumb" I think) but I just don't get it when I try to do it and chart the next few years. I can usually come up with the right card for this year but then get lost.

Heck, maybe my question is just this: do you move forward one card in the numerical sequence the deck is in?

Masa

Heck, maybe my question is just this: do you move forward one card in the numerical sequence the deck is in?

Sometimes, but not always! I'll walk you through it with my birthday, which is 08/29.

This year is 2012, of course. But I want to calculate it as changing on my birthday, not changing in January. Because I have not had my 2012 birthday yet, I use 2011.

The easiest trick is to take it in two steps. First, add up the numbers in your birth month and day, and keep track of it. Mine is 08 + 29 = 37. This number has no significance by itself; I'm just going to need it over and over again later, so I might as well simplify.

Second, take your special number and add it to the year you want to identify. Like I said, I'm in the year I started in 2011, so I get 2011 + 37 = 2048. Then I add up all those digits, and keep the highest thing I get that matches a card: in this case I get 14 the first time, so I can keep that. I'm in my Temperance year.

So what will I be starting on my next birthday? I take my number again and add it to the year: 2012 + 37 = 2049. That adds up to 15, which is a Devil year.

The year after that is where it gets interesting, because the flow breaks up. 2013 + 37 = 2050. Do you see what happened? The sum still incremented, but the value of the digits dramatically decreased, because the ones column zeroed out. They only add up to 7, which makes for a Chariot year.

It will then go back to incrementing for 9 more years, all the way up through Tower. Then, in the year 2023, the sum of the year and my shorthand number will be 2060 and I'll revert back down again, this time to a Strength year.

I hope that helps. I made a chart yesterday and had to correct myself a few times, but I was mostly able to keep track pretty well. :)

Grizabella

My birthday is 11-26-45. I can figure it up for this year, but then it seems to go progressively right along with the numbers on the cards. So if my year card is Temperance this year, then would next year (actually this year, but I used my last birthday 2011) be my Devil year, and the next one card #16 etc. on through the years?

It's not that I don't know how to do it, it's that I just don't quite "get it" as far as understanding all this. I probably should just give up, I guess.

Masa

My birthday is 11-26-45. I can figure it up for this year, but then it seems to go progressively right along with the numbers on the cards. So if my year card is Temperance this year, then would next year (actually this year, but I used my last birthday 2011) be my Devil year, and the next one card #16 etc. on through the years?

Well, let's see. 11 + 26 = 37, which....is exactly the same as my handy little magic number! Well, that's easy. That means you and are are usually going to be in the same year, though I start mine sooner since my birthday is three months before. :)

So yes, you're in Temperance right now. Here's my chart, which you can use straight over:

Upcoming years:
2012: Devil
2013: Chariot
2014: Strength
2015: Hermit
2016: Wheel of Fortune
2017: Justice
2018: Hanged Man
2019: Death
2020: Temperance
2021: Devil
2022: The Tower
2023: Strength

ETA: Sorry, I screwed it up at first. X) Should be right now.

Grizabella

Excellent! Thank you, Masa. I'll write it down in my journal so I don't forget it.

Masa

Excellent! Thank you, Masa. I'll write it down in my journal so I don't forget it.

Make sure to write down the corrected version--I made a mistake the first time I posted.

Grizabella

Make sure to write down the corrected version--I made a mistake the first time I posted.
You mean the Wheel year was wrong? I wrote the list down just as you see it there.

Masa

You mean the Wheel year was wrong? I wrote the list down just as you see it there.

The way it is now is correct. I left out the Chariot the first time for some strange reason.

AstralSoul

Wheel of Fortune :D until my next b-day!

Girl Archer

Sometimes, but not always! I'll walk you through it with my birthday, which is 08/29.

This year is 2012, of course. But I want to calculate it as changing on my birthday, not changing in January. Because I have not had my 2012 birthday yet, I use 2011.

The easiest trick is to take it in two steps. First, add up the numbers in your birth month and day, and keep track of it. Mine is 08 + 29 = 37. This number has no significance by itself; I'm just going to need it over and over again later, so I might as well simplify.

Second, take your special number and add it to the year you want to identify. Like I said, I'm in the year I started in 2011, so I get 2011 + 37 = 2048. Then I add up all those digits, and keep the highest thing I get that matches a card: in this case I get 14 the first time, so I can keep that. I'm in my Temperance year.

So what will I be starting on my next birthday? I take my number again and add it to the year: 2012 + 37 = 2049. That adds up to 15, which is a Devil year.

The year after that is where it gets interesting, because the flow breaks up. 2013 + 37 = 2050. Do you see what happened? The sum still incremented, but the value of the digits dramatically decreased, because the ones column zeroed out. They only add up to 7, which makes for a Chariot year.

It will then go back to incrementing for 9 more years, all the way up through Tower. Then, in the year 2023, the sum of the year and my shorthand number will be 2060 and I'll revert back down again, this time to a Strength year.

I hope that helps. I made a chart yesterday and had to correct myself a few times, but I was mostly able to keep track pretty well. :)

Thank you for explaining this so beautifully. It all makes sense now, Masa! :) Um, one thing though.. Does Death year mean that people would be dying all over the place, throughout the year? :( Would Hierophant year be good for marriages/overseas study etc? I mean, is there even a concept like that? Like a good year and bad year specific to stuff based on the Year Card? Sorry if this question comes across real stupid-like :p

I've tried to do this for myself before, but I always seem to get lost. Is there anyone who can help me discover whether I'm in a in this year or that right now. What I'm referring to is the addition of numbers of your birthdate, etc. to come up with what kind of year you're in. What I need is someone who would be kind enough to actually figure up for me what I'm in this year and what it will be for the next several years. I always get lost somewhere along the way.

Is it that, if I'm in for instance a Temperance year, that then each subsequent year I progress to the next card in the Tarot deck, which would be the Devil, and then each year I progress forward in numerical sequence? Or is it more random than that? I'm sorry to be so obtuse (three dollar word for "dumb" I think) but I just don't get it when I try to do it and chart the next few years. I can usually come up with the right card for this year but then get lost.

Thank you for starting this thread Grizabella. Till I saw this thread, I did not even KNOW such a concept as Year cards even existed!!! Naively, I assumed that you just pull 12 cards at the beginning of the year and that's that... Now, the Hanged Man Year makes sense, what with everything else going on in my life....despite having pretty awesome monthly cards to show for it...