RWS 1971 - To Bid or Not to Bid?

Yineth

I don't know how many people here own vintage copies of the RWS, but does anyone have the 1971 version of the RWS? What are your opinions on it?

I was browsing online to see if I could get a different version of the RWS (the version I have is the cruddy USG version) and came across an eBay auction on a vintage copy of the 1971 RWS.

Question is: How different is the 1971 version to the current duplicated copy made by USG? Is the current bid price fair for its value or not worth chasing after?

I would really appreciate any feedback given on this. Thank you in advance.

Shade

There is something very wonderful about owning a vintage deck. I have a few friends with some really priceless gems so I have been fortunate to be in the presence of greatness and there's a difference.

My two cents: Don't get crazy with price, ebay is a revolving door of collectibles - whatever it is you find, no matter how precious, it will be back.

Holly Voley has a great site comparing RWS editions: http://home.comcast.net/~vilex/ShipofFools.html

bogiesan

I have that deck, that vintage.
I enjoy it tremendously. I believe I paid $6.50 for it at Mithras Books in La Jolla CA. What would I pay for it again? Not more than $30 but that's just me.
Can you return to this thread in a few days and let us know what it sold for? That would be interesting. I'm guessing $75.00.

The crowned one

It is a 25.00 dollar deck with post :) a great deck.

Le Fanu

Can you return to this thread in a few days and let us know what it sold for? That would be interesting. I'm guessing $75.00.
It's a nice deck. Unlaminated and - if you're lucky - no copyright. I like the idea of owning a RWS before U.S Games claimed it for its own. It makes me feel old as I bought this deck brand new in a shop and now it's vintage. I have a few editions including the ultra-rare tuckbox one (usually they come in a lift-off, two part box; you very rarely see them in a tuckbox).

Some of the ones in the older box may be more recent stock as some - not all - of the decks do have the U.S Games copyright in the corner.

I think $75 would be very expensive. Basically, I think American tarot collectors pay more for them. In England they pop up all the time on ebay and can go for around 20.00. I bought one off ebay a couple of years ago and paid a couple of pounds. But in the US I guess there aren't so many around.

Debra

The picture of the cards shows there is no copyright notice. These are nicer than the ones with the copyrights--the colors are a bit softer, the card stock has a nice velvety feel. They come around for $20-$30, sometimes less if no one notices.

Yineth

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I was at work, but my phone kept notifying me that you guys were posting x3

There is something very wonderful about owning a vintage deck. I have a few friends with some really priceless gems so I have been fortunate to be in the presence of greatness and there's a difference.

My two cents: Don't get crazy with price, ebay is a revolving door of collectibles - whatever it is you find, no matter how precious, it will be back.

Holly Voley has a great site comparing RWS editions: http://home.comcast.net/~vilex/ShipofFools.html

@Shade: Yes, I definitely won't get crazy on the price. I'm rather ticked at myself for buying a copyrighted version of the RWS on EBay of all places, but this auction looks really promising. It would be great if I could get the deck of course :p But like you said, there's bound to be more little gems waiting to show up.

I have that deck, that vintage.
I enjoy it tremendously. I believe I paid $6.50 for it at Mithras Books in La Jolla CA. What would I pay for it again? Not more than $30 but that's just me.

@Bogiesan: I'll definitely keep you guys updated on the result. From what I've seen the bid is now at $11.40 (US) with about 2 days left in the auction. I'll be checking on it tomorrow to see whether the numbers rise or not. I sure hope it doesn't end up going up to $75! :(

It is a 25.00 dollar deck with post :) a great deck.

@The crowned one: Sounds pretty reasonable to me ;)

It's a nice deck. Unlaminated and - if you're lucky - no copyright. I like the idea of owning a RWS before U.S Games claimed it for its own. It makes me feel old as I bought this deck brand new in a shop and now it's vintage. I have a few editions including the ultra-rare tuckbox one (usually they come in a lift-off, two part box; you very rarely see them in a tuckbox).

Some of the ones in the older box may be more recent stock as some - not all - of the decks do have the U.S Games copyright in the corner.

I think $75 would be very expensive. Basically, I think American tarot collectors pay more for them. In England they pop up all the time on ebay and can go for around 20.00. I bought one off ebay a couple of years ago and paid a couple of pounds. But in the US I guess there aren't so many around.

@Le Fanu: $75 is practically the cost of the cheapest textbook on campus. I love Tarot cards, but they're not worth that much for this poor University student xD
I did purchase my current copy of the RWS on the UK eBay site though (Lol) and was told by the owner that there wasn't any copyright on the deck. Lo and behold... There was. I didn't bother returning it, since I just didn't want to deal with the hassle of shipping it overseas : /

The picture of the cards shows there is no copyright notice. These are nicer than the ones with the copyrights--the colors are a bit softer, the card stock has a nice velvety feel. They come around for $20-$30, sometimes less if no one notices.

@Debra: I thought the colors in the photo looked a little different in comparison to my version of the RWS. 20-30 dollars is pretty reasonable in my book :)
...But since I made this thread, it's possible other people on AT may be looking at the auction too! :p

bogiesan

I think because the pack is still sealed and comes in the original box the bids will go quite high. Personally, I'd prefer a used deck.

Bhavana

I just got this same exact deck on ebay - same yellow box, same cards without the copyrite info on each one, and the address on my LWB is Park Ave South, and I THINK that means it could be a 1971. I paid $9.95. I know, I know - why so low? The deck I got is in perfect condition, not even used. For some reason, no one else bid on it, and lucky me, I won. I was so worried it was going to be all beat up and a mess, so I was doubly thrilled when it arrived in such beautiful shape. It is absolutely scrumptious to use!! Everything about it! A very nice tactile experience. Blows the later plastic-y versions right out of the water. You MUST get one.

The cards have a nice matte finish, but still well laminated (just not a thick shiny lamination) unlike some cards of that era, which I find very papery. If you can find one in good shape, with the LWB included so you have a full set and can tell the real age - go for it - but as everyone said, don't pay more than $25 or $30. These decks come up ALL THE TIME. They are not rare. And that they can be had at a great price is obvious by what I paid just last week. Just look for the yellow box and look for no copyrite symbol on the box title. IF the seller shows the cards, look for the absence of the copyrite info on the bottom right side of the cards. They started putting the copyrite on each card in 1975....so you can be sure that a deck without them is from before '75. Then you can go by the address on the LWB - but I am not sure of the details there. Someone else here will know.

There are lots of threads here on this, how to tell the differences between the RW decks, ages of them, etc. As someone said, this deck will go high because it is still sealed - but remember, I got one in near new shape for under $10!!

Richard

Is that always true? I have a deck with the copyrights, and the colors are quite soft, matte, and the cards have a velvety feel. I think it is from the early 1980s. It is my Italian printed deck that is too hideous to use.