Starting out reading for strangers... and some excitement.

Inghinn

I hope this is the right section of the forum to post this in...

A couple of weeks ago my friend and I spent an afternoon reading each other's tarot, which went quite well. That same night I was chatting to a woman who I don't know very well and suddenly felt inspired to ask if she'd be my guinea pig for a tarot reading as I really think I need the face to face experience of reading for people I don't know very much about. She said yes straight away so the next day I went to her house, did her reading which she was pleased with, and then told her to feel free to pass on my number to any of her friends as I would really like to do more readings for strangers, which of course would be free as I still consider myself a beginner.

Before I knew it, she went next door and the next moment a woman walks in asking if I'd do a reading for her, and to cut a long story short, I did six readings that afternoon, all for people I'd never met before, and I got great feedback from each of them - the last guy even insisted on paying me. They asked if they could book me for a party but I said no, I don't think I'm ready for that yet. However, I have agreed to spend an evening doing readings for a friend's wife and her pals, again to practice more than anything else. This is in a couple of weeks and of course I'm very nervous and it will be different from the last time where I was pretty much put on the spot without knowing it would happen.

Soooo, I'm very excited but also anxious and if anyone has any stories to share about how they started out, or any advice to give, that would really be great! Thank you.

Inghinn

VGimlet

It took me a long time to get rid of the training wheels. (Having my notebook handy.) But when I did I was amazed at how quickly my skills improved.

The first time I started out reading for people I didn't know very well was at work. I kind of let it be known that I was available for readings on our breaks. I think the most I did in one day was two. I may actually get a little more pro-active, because I think people think they might be bothering me, when I LOVE doing it.

It sounds like you did great, and what a good beginning! People are just fascinated by tarot, I find.

The first party I did I was STUNNED. I thought I'd have maybe 10 people, and there was a LINE. :p I was wiped, but in a good way. :D Sounds like you're on your way.

I still don't charge, because I just don't. Maybe if I ever do a venue where that would be appropriate I would, but right now I tell them I want feedback about my readings, which is payment to me.