How many fake tarot readers are out there?

JadoreHauteCouture

Hey there,

the other day i was watching Tv and on this Tv show there was this stereotypical scene of tarot reader telling fortune. There was this big black lady all dressed in satin, beads and scarves looking like a walking disco circus tent. She was talking veeery slowly as if she was mentally impaired and said 1- 2 sentences (her entire divination) that didnt make sense at all (its really interesting how media portrays readings in general).

So, I was wondering... Have you met any tarot readers in real life that were a complete caricature of this craft? Like theatrical costumes, dimming lights, smoke, obviously making up stuff, being completely deluted or out-of-their-mind?

Also what percentage of tarot readers are really pro in your opinion and how many just really pretend and make up stuff?

gypsylady

Well, the carnival is in town here, so I can tell you that the tarot reader that travels with them is really out there. She kind of dresses the part, but I tell you, the whole thing is ridiculous!
I went there last year to have my cards read upon my best friend telling me he would pay for it and practically shoving me in. She sat me down with a cigarette in her mouth (and a guy sleeping on the couch in the back- no joke). She read my cards, but it was so generic that I regretted going. Not to mention the fact that the guy got up in the middle of the reading and walked out the front door of the traveling trailer.
I've had some amazing readings in the past for relatively cheap prices and they have been bang on. Telling me things that they wouldn't know and that took all the doubts out of my mind.. the carnival lady though- my gosh, lol/

celticnoodle

Hey there,

the other day i was watching Tv and on this Tv show there was this stereotypical scene of tarot reader telling fortune. There was this big black lady all dressed in satin, beads and scarves looking like a walking disco circus tent. She was talking veeery slowly as if she was mentally impaired and said 1- 2 sentences (her entire divination) that didnt make sense at all (its really interesting how media portrays readings in general).

So, I was wondering... Have you met any tarot readers in real life that were a complete caricature of this craft? Like theatrical costumes, dimming lights, smoke, obviously making up stuff, being completely deluted or out-of-their-mind?

Also what percentage of tarot readers are really pro in your opinion and how many just really pretend and make up stuff?

I recall years ago, my friend and I going to a tarot card reader in her home. She had her living room and dining room set up for customers, and would greet you in her heavily candle/oil scented living room that had scarves and silky curtains all over the place. very heavily decorated like a gypsy's wagon as she herself was too. jewelry galore on her, but she was still a very attractive looking woman, save the perpetual frown she wore on her face. I don't think the woman could smile. it was almost 'eery'.

She would take one person at a time through the living room into her dining room, which was even more crowded with tables and shelves everywhere, and a small table w/two chairs. each table and shelf was so loaded down with candles and crystals, crystal balls, books, statues, and you name it--New Agey. Right behind where she sat was a picture of the Blessed Mother and also a crucifix. She insisted that you pray the Our Father with her before she would begin your reading.

She didn't give a very good reading what so ever, in my opinion. But, what made me really angry and knew she was a fake was that after my friends reading, I could tell my friend was very shaken. She didn't say a word, but motioned for me to get my reading, so I went in for my turn. as I said before--an awful reading, and then when we payed and left, my friend broke down into tears with her predictions.

She convinced my friend to come back with more money for a magic potion that would help her with the family issues her family was at the time experiencing. I tried to tell my friend not to do it, that she was preying on her and her problems and that it was only money she was after. I thought I convinced this friend and so finally left her at her home and went back to my own home.

Well, a few weeks later, my friend told me that she didn't want to believe me and had been going back and forth to this fortune teller with many hundreds of dollars for magic potions and charms to 'fix' the family issues, and then when she was quite many hundreds of dollars into it, began to wonder why the charms and potions were not working. She c. to tell me how I was so right about it, etc.

It was not long after that, (can't recall exactly how long--days? weeks?) that on our local news, they were showing a huge amount of state police cars at this womans house, arresting her, her sister and their husbands for their 'psychic' scam. Apparently, they had been arrested and tried in a few other states, and fled those states, changing their names and 'starting over'. In addition to my friend who fell for them, they had quite a few other people constantly coming in for more potions and spells that turned out to be no more then some dandelions and other flowers in a baggie--that they were charging hundreds of dollars for! One poor woman had given them many thousands of dollars before a family member caught on and did a bit of investigating and found out they were wanted in other states.

They were, of course, shut down immediately and didn't escape the law this time. they were sent back to the one state where they were put into prison to serve out their term that had been put on them years before they arrived to our home state. and, they had to make restitution as well--but I know there was not enough money to pay back everyone every penny they got. Lesson learned by my friend and the other 'scammed clients', I think.

as for this, well, the same as in any occupation, I would guess. We once hired a company to do some remodeling on our home and put a down payment on the work. he turned out to be a scammer too and had also fled other states doing the same scan. Luckily for us, he just about completed the job, save a few minor things, and he did do a good job, but I think it was because he liked us, actually. His work was good--but he unfortunately had the nasty habit of not doing the jobs for most of his customers that he was payed to do. He was caught. He made restitution and he is currently in prison for 2yrs. and then will be on probation for a few more. We were satisfied with the results.

Its unfortunate that there are so many scammers out there. But it is in every profession. Doctors, carpenters, tarot card readers and pretty much ALL professions included. Its a shame, but unfortunately it seems with people who are diviners, ( a profession that has many skeptics to begin with), when one turns out to be a scam artist, it seems to hang over all of us as a result.

MissJo

Ah yes, Hempfest Sunday 2011. I was sitting with a couple Tarot readers silently observing (I went alone and didn't want to be alone, these ladies were kind enough to let me hang out with them and do Hempfest stuff) and they were definitely a bit out there. I got one reading from them and it was okay, it really looked like they were just learning and didn't understand some of the cards. I helped them out, with their permission of course, a couple of times.

They were pretty fun to hang out with in general, but definitely a bit stereotypical.

The most recent skeptic I read for had a TOTAL fake Tarot reader experience. She told me that the lady told her she was going to get in a horrible car crash, but she couldn't get any further into the reading because she (the sitter) had too much bad energy and was henceforth banned from Tarot.

I told her was a cold-reader and offered to give her a little reading of my own to prove what someone who actually CAN read the cards can do. I am happy to say that she's no longer a skeptic when it comes to Tarot ;)

Padma

My best Tarot readings have come from friends, or even people here at AT :)

Insofar as commercial readings go, I have had two of my very best readings in tiny little towns in the middle of nowhere. :) it was during the fall fairs, and the (playing card!) card readers were just set up on folding card tables, outdoors, with a few folding chairs :) They both just looked like very typical small town middle aged ladies. One of them predicted the events of my life so very well, that I met and married exactly the man she described to me, in the career and level she predicted, ten years after the fact. I only remembered her reading a few months into my relationship with my husband. She was eerily accurate! And one, whom I went to her house to have my cards read, turned out to be amazingly accurate as well, even predicting I would go live on an island with a man with initial A in his name. (I subsequently met my husband, who has a predominant A in his name, and moved to England with him for a few years.)

I was once randomly accosted in the street in the UK by a gypsy, who told me something I was actually quite worried about at the time. Can't say how she knew - She then told me it would all quickly be over, that I would get a call in two days about it. I got a call two days later. Problem was over and done a week later.

I have also had truly, superbly crap readings from tarot readers at the established, much-ballyhoed annual psychic fair, where supposedly only Expert Super Pro readers give the readings. :p

Go figgur.

So I guess it all depends on randomness, and the law of attraction, and my fate at the time, and luck - a bit like (all) the cards (and systems) themselves :)

ps they all looked very average - not a whiff of incense or whisp of headscarf to be found anywhere! And I am sorry if these anecdotes did not all include tarot.

VGimlet

celticnoodle, I had a similar experiencewith a "palm reader" once. I busted out laughing when she asked me for more money. You should have seen the look on her face.

If I had been older or wiser I would have called the police, because I there were people who would fall for that BS. (I was probably 19 - but had been reading tarot for awhile....) I couldn't imagine at the time anyone falling for that kind of scam.

Once in awhile TV depicts tarot readers in less stereo-typical way, but mostly it's all for effect. I think that there are established readers in real life who are okay. I know of one person down in the Pike Place market whose been there for awhile, and a few friends have people they've used in the past.

ed. to add - the readers I know have also dressed like normal people, no scarves or floaty/velvet/etc. Except when they are dressed for a Ren Faire, or Halloween party, or something. :D

SunChariot

Hey there,

I know some people even on AT are for that stereotypical gypsy thing. I perosnally am not so much. I believe that Tarot is about connection and the way we find answers is trhough connection. When you do the whole theatrical thing it's like telling querent that you are not like them and differnt from them and that separates. To me Tarot is about connection not separation.

Also I think it perpetuates that sense of mystery and a lot of the fear people have about Tarot is because of that sense of mystery like they cannot understand it. I am for educating people as to what a wonderful life tool it is that anyone can learn and that hey I am just like you and I understand you for that reason and can have empathy.

That's me anyway, I am always trying to dispel all the mis-information about Tarot and any negaive percetions and to help people see it as normal and a wondeful tool.

Interesting you brought up this topic. Just a week or so ago, I met a friends bf for the first time. She had told him that I am a Tarot reader. He told her afterwards that he had been surprised and that he had expected me to walk around all day long in caftans and hooped earringa and a turban. LOL

As to hhow many fake readers there are that just make stuff up, WAY too many. Of course even 1 of those is too many. As much as I hate to admit it,and I never have before and likely never will again, my mothers grandmother was one of those years ago during the depression. Whicxh reallly bothers me, but I guess you can't choose your realtives.

I know the are lots of fake ones out there, I have heard so many stories about different ones here on AT. It is quite annoying because a quuerent whose first experience is one of gthose can lose all faith in Tarto forever and then tey can never benefit friom it and also it means less qurents fort the good honest readers who really do wnat to help theise people.

Babs

Bluebonnet

So far, every paid tarot reading I have had has been incorrect. I've had a few here in Texas, some over the phone, some in New Orleans.....

So just from personal experience of paid tarot readings....not the ones on this forum...100% incorrect! :D

Zephyros

There are many charlatans in every field, and Tarot has always drawn the wily and the crafty, because there is really no way to tell if some one is "real" or not. What then, makes for a "real" reader? Of course we have all heard of scams where people request more money to remove curses and whatever, but what about the reading itself?

Is some one "lying" if they read intuitively? Will readers need certification in order to read for money and if so, what would that certification entail? I have met readers who, for all they knew, were "real" readers, but thought the RWS was the "original" deck created in Ancient Egypt. Others thought Golden Dawn was a weather channel. However, for all their lack of knowledge, they were actually quite good intuitive readers. I may know a lot about esoterics, but I am certainly not more of a real reader than anyone else.

I think the answer may be that whenever anyone dabbles in anything spiritual, be it Tarot or even religion, they do so at their own risk and responsibility. In the Middle Ages the Catholic Church sold absolutions, the Church of Scientology is built on membership dues while the Mormon Church demands a certain percentage of its followers pay each month. The Dalai Lama lives in a palace while most of his country lives in huts. The Queen of England is the head of the Church of England and is one of the richest people in the world.

Are those institutions any more (or less) legitimate than either your average "real" reader who sincerely believes the future can be shuffled out of a pack of cards, or your run of the mill scam artist who sells curse removals for who knows how many thousands of dollars.

Once a person wishes to shake off responsibility for their own lives, they will find a way to do it, whether through Tarot, false spirituality or religion.

Carla

No, actually. Maybe I've been lucky. I've seen so-called psychics on TV, though, doing something with cards. They sort of fling them out and ramble a bit, then take the next call.

I have no clue. I doubt it's any higher than charlatans in other fields, like holistic medicine, counselling/therapy, or even now that I think about it, plastic surgery and such. There are sincere practitioners, then there are the shysters. Every field that seeks to help troubled people will have its vultures taking advantage.