Tarot's sense of humor, or sarcasm?!

septimus

Did a full moon spread, which responded with brutal accuracy to my relationship questions regarding a certain mysterious woman.
But the 0 card, self, was the Page of Pentacles, and I am far too old to be a Page. However, it suddenly occurred to me that I often humorously, but accurately, refer to myself as the Honorable Schoolboy, after the LeCarre novel. And one definition of this Page would be an honorable schoolboy.
Was the Tarot mocking me, or just having a little fun?

Yineth

Did a full moon spread, which responded with brutal accuracy to my relationship questions regarding a certain mysterious woman.
But the 0 card, self, was the Page of Pentacles, and I am far too old to be a Page. However, it suddenly occurred to me that I often humorously, but accurately, refer to myself as the Honorable Schoolboy, after the LeCarre novel. And one definition of this Page would be an honorable schoolboy.

In the case of your deck "mocking" or "teasing" you, I feel it's up to the reader in how they wish to perceive it. A friend of mine sometimes think of her decks as different individuals who have their own personalities or certain 'quirks' that other decks may not carry. If a particular reading gI personally see my decks as a tool used to understand any particular messages being shared by the universe.

Overall, I think you could decide on how you felt seeing the card the first time: did it seem more humorous to you or insulting? :)

[Just my $0.02]

SunChariot

The first thing on my mind is that a Page, at least to me, has nothing to do with age. We can be a Page at any stage of life or at any age. He is just about inexperience, facing something that we have no or little previous experence of or with. We can find ourselves in that position at any age. At least that is my meaning of it.

Also wanted to say, that if you felt there was a reference there to the Honourable Schoolboy, I do not believe that Tarot was mocking you. It was just answering you in a way that it knew you personally would understand and that would be meaningful to you. It might have been a bit like an inside joke and been meant to amuse you, but it was not meant to be mean in any way. That is my personal belief

But that depends on where you believe your answers come from and that is a long debate and eveyone has different beliefs on that....To me divination is a communcation with the Divine. And that source never mocks people.

Babs

Milfoil

Mocking you - no. Sarcastic, acidic or otherwise - no.

But making you smile, dropping the ego, seeing behind the mask, getting past the pompous, human need for seriousness and knowing and control - down to the complete openness of the child within. The laughing, carefree child - definitely.

{note} Not that I am suggesting you are pompous, controlling etc - just a generalisation. Spirit/Universe always seem to find ways to make us 'lighten up', smile and release the self imposed burdens we carry around with us. I would see this as a very positive, playful connection. :)

septimus

Mocking you - no. Sarcastic, acidic or otherwise - no.

But making you smile, dropping the ego, seeing behind the mask, getting past the pompous, human need for seriousness and knowing and control - down to the complete openness of the child within. The laughing, carefree child - definitely.

{note} Not that I am suggesting you are pompous, controlling etc - just a generalisation. Spirit/Universe always seem to find ways to make us 'lighten up', smile and release the self imposed burdens we carry around with us. I would see this as a very positive, playful connection. :)

Upon more consideration, I think you and the other commentors are quite right. The gist of the reading is that while I have behaved ok, I have been naive in ever thinking I would know what this woman, represented by the High Priestess, is going to do. Hence, the Page of Pentacles as a gentle reminder that I need to be less jejeune and naive about her.

starrystarrynight

Ah, just what I was going to say. In this situation (vis a vis your relationship to or with this woman) you are the Page of Pentacles--you have a lot to learn about her (the Page of Pents as the traditional scholar...) and you are eager, as all the Pages are, to do so.

Padma

I don't think it was mocking you - as the others have said, the Universe is never mean in its connection/communication with us...

I do believe, myself, from personal experience, that the Universal spirit behind the Tarot has quite a sense of humour, and also enjoys punning...thinks itself quite clever, in a fun, impish way... and does enjoy having a laugh with us :) like a good friend should, it always laughs with you, not at you :D

Girl Archer

I don't think it was mocking you - as the others have said, the Universe is never mean in its connection/communication with us...

I do believe, myself, from personal experience, that the Universal spirit behind the Tarot has quite a sense of humour, and also enjoys punning...thinks itself quite clever, in a fun, impish way... and does enjoy having a laugh with us :) like a good friend should, it always laughs with you, not at you :D

I love how you put this... Damn, I wish here was a ' like' option here too... We totally should have a little button to show some extra love for the one who posts stuff that moves us or makes us smile :)

Padma

I love how you put this... Damn, I wish here was a ' like' option here too... We totally should have a little button to show some extra love for the one who posts stuff that moves us or makes us smile :)

*blush!* thank you for your kind words, Girl Archer :) you made my day! :D

Narwhallove

ME TOO. Not sure if there are any knitters here, but Ravelry's forums have "like" and "funny" options, which I would pepper all over Aeclectic.

Septimus, I think the Page of Pents is hilarious in your case. I suppose it may have been easy to read it as sarcasm if the rest of the reading were brutal. Hope none of it was too big a surprise.

Can I ask—did you feel the reading was particularly different b/c it was new moon? I did a reading for my sister yesterday, the day of the supermoon!, and it was quite lucid and wonderful, but I haven't done readings regularly enough to say if there were a difference.