Could have saved a bundle if only I'd have paid attention!

Stark Raven

I have been collecting tarot decks more seriously for two years now. In the past I purchased primarily from one site simply because it was of utmost convenience. If a price looked okay, if it was the best price on that site, from a well rated seller, then I purchased it without question most times. Yesterday, for only about the third time ever, I was thinking on what kind of money I would have saved, how many decks I could have bought with that money, if only I had shopped around for the decks I have bought so far. Now after thinking things through I realize I could have easily saved at least $200.

Anyone else ever have such thoughts enter their crawlspace for a visit? What's the figure you estimate you could have saved in your case?

Bhavana

with tarot, I've done pretty good. The most I think I ever paid was $50? Not sure about that - but I think so....and while I don't have any extremely rare or valuable decks, I do have a nice amount of out of print decks that are worth up to $200 or more. I've gotten pretty lucky on ebay, and of course there have been many good deals here on AT.

However, I have spent on other things way more than I should have in too many cases to count. I don't even want to add it all up! And when I start feeling bad about it, I always think of my long lost friend Dave, who one day one I was feeling guilty about spending money on something, said to me "Jen, you'll never see a luggage rack on a hearse." Meaning enjoy life, enjoy what you have, enjoy treating yourself - because you won't be taking it with you when you go!

Padma

And when I start feeling bad about it, I always think of my long lost friend Dave, who one day one I was feeling guilty about spending money on something, said to me "Jen, you'll never see a luggage rack on a hearse." Meaning enjoy life, enjoy what you have, enjoy treating yourself - because you won't be taking it with you when you go!

What an AWESOME quote, Bhavana! :D love the luggage rack thang...

As to saving money etc. While I do like a good sale, or a good deal, I also know that what is valuable to me is not the monetary value of the cards in and of themselves, what is of value to me is getting the ones I want :) so if it costs me more, oh well!

chongjasmine

I just went online to buy about 4 tarot decks, after my re-interest in the tarot cards. I am regretting my purchase now, but it is too late to cancel the ordering of the products.

I am an impulsive spender. There are many times when I buy things on impulse which I regretted later.

nikkipeachy

I just went online to buy about 4 tarot decks, after my re-interest in the tarot cards. I am regretting my purchase now, but it is too late to cancel the ordering of the products.

I am an impulsive spender. There are many times when I buy things on impulse which I regretted later.

You can always send them to my house, lol. The good thing about decks is that it isn't difficult to find them new homes. I'm always checking the trading forum for more.

I think I've done well with tarot cards. I've spend too much on Lenormand decks though. A couple that would have saved me a nice bit if I'd purchased them earlier. I now try to just buy what I want (within reason), because I hate paying double for the same thing later.

Stark Raven

Wow Bhavana, that must me willpower, to not own any decks over $50!

Lotus Padma - I can relate to what you say, I check online sales daily.

chongjasmine - even though my days of impulsive spending have passed, I can still relate to what you say because I have too done that. No regrets though!

nikkypeachy - nothing beats being the one to snap up a good bargain, good for you!

Carla

I have been collecting tarot decks more seriously for two years now. In the past I purchased primarily from one site simply because it was of utmost convenience. If a price looked okay, if it was the best price on that site, from a well rated seller, then I purchased it without question most times. Yesterday, for only about the third time ever, I was thinking on what kind of money I would have saved, how many decks I could have bought with that money, if only I had shopped around for the decks I have bought so far. Now after thinking things through I realize I could have easily saved at least $200.

Anyone else ever have such thoughts enter their crawlspace for a visit? What's the figure you estimate you could have saved in your case?

There's no point thinking about things like this. You were willing to spend the money at the time, and the pleasure you have got from the decks has more than paid for themselves. Yes?

Please, I once paid £60 for an out of print paperback book, the pages of which promptly fell out as soon as I tried to read it. But I wanted it and now it's mine. :) (I disassembled the book and put each page in sleeves in an A5 ring binder). :D

Bhavana

Wow Bhavana, that must me willpower, to not own any decks over $50!

Believe me, it has much more to do with the fact that I was in school and didn't have much money.

VGimlet

A few times I have made regretful purchases, although most of them happened before I found out how easy it is (usually) to purchase things from other countries. A HTF deck in the US is not necessarily HTF in its country of origin, or nearby. :D

However, don't feel too bad - I didn't know then what I know now - and I've gotten some very good deals here and there :D

Cocobird55

I tend to be in a hurry to get decks that I really want, so I sometimes have ordered Lo Scarabeo decks from Alida, instead of waiting until they were available in the states.

I recently paid full price for the Art of Life Tarot, because I was in such a hurry to get it. But I don't mind -- it's coming today and I'm looking forward to it.