Long time readers-- ever had a blind spot?

ironmama

Hello,

I have been reading cards for years and years.. and with all of the learning and processes we all go through, I am humbly asking for help. I am asking for others to give input regarding blind spots...
Have you ever done a reading, and then been totally wrong? Seen something as an absolute certainty, and then it didn't happen, or fell through?
As a reader for myself and others, I am often asked to help and give answers regarding situations of all types. I was recently asked to read for a woman who thought she might be pregnant. I did a reading for her on a few different occasions, and each time, the cards pointed to a healthy child. I got all of the significators one would hope for in such a situation: Queen of cups, page of cups, nine of cups, Empress, etc... It seemed a sure thing, and so I felt comfortable giving her good news. I regret doing so.
Today I was informed by my querent that she was sure it was gone. She began menstruating. When she told me, I felt terrible, as if it was I that had let her down.
Professionally, and out of curiosity, I would like to use this as a learning experience. I am hoping that I can figure out what I missed here. For example, I am concerned that in my eagerness to see the "good" answers that she was hoping for, I missed cards that would have shown me that things were changing. Would the two of pents have indicated such? ((change)) .. and that the situation, however positive now, would reach a different ending? When I did the celtic cross, I did not see anything negative come up in the "future" or "outcome" space. All of the outcome cards were positive. Maybe what I'm missing is that not having this baby was positive? If I did a follow-up reading for her, is there a reading anyone can recommend for finding the hidden meaning in a situation? I would hate to have a friend feel negatively about tarot, as it is so useful most of the time, and yet I feel at a loss as to how to explain how the cards could have been wrong, on multiple occasions-- giving her hope, and now she feels let down.
To affirm, I do explain when I read cards, that they are "for entertainment purposes", and to not base your life, or important decisions, on the reading, just for a disclaimer, but you cannot help that anyone who comes for a reading is going to hold on to what you say, as the "oracle", in a special way. I do not like to let folks down. I am careful to deal with delicate subjects as best as I can, and so of course in this situation, I was trying to be careful, but the cards felt so certain, so sure.
Thank you so much in advance, I am trying not to let this be a negative, and turn it into a useful situation. There is always room to learn!!

SA12

Well, as far as your friend goes, spotting in early pregnancy sometimes occurs and is ok -- she should immediately see the doctor, not the cards if she thinks she's pregnant or miscarried. It is possible your cards were right on at the time, but then for whatever reason, she suffered a miscarriage -- sometimes the body is just random, other times there's an underlying condition, and I don't believe in using tarot cards to diagnose anything.

Anyway as far as "blind spots" go, I feel ya -- it can happen to the best of us and it's definitely happened to me; the cards were saying one thing, but the situation was doing something else. Don't beat yourself up over this! Although I'm curious how many repeat readings you did for her on the issue, because sometimes doing lots of readings on one subject in a short amount of time can muddy the waters. Additionally, I've often wondered myself sometimes what's the line between the cards illuminating a situation vs. self-fulfilling prophecy or confirmation bias. I sometimes post readings here because I want to make sure I'm not "seeing" what I want to see, even though we're "supposed to" trust our own intuition first -- even though intuition isn't always perfect... *hugs*

SunChariot

This may seem a bit off the way, but the thing about any predictive reading (and I always tell querents this) is that the future can change after the reading is done and sometimes it does.

It is possible that your reaidng was right at the moment in time that it was done, but that that future changed. It could be that knowing what you told her, caused the mother to act differentloy in even the slightest way that may have been enough to change the outcome.

Or the soul that is the baby itsefl changed his mind and either decided he was not quite ready yet or decided to choose a different family and a different life. That may be the off the wall part for some. But I do beleive in reincarnation and that our souls choose the lives we move into. But also that there was a good reason for it...

But however you view it, it is possible that your reading was right at the time it was done, but that the future just changed afterwards. That is the thing about readings on the future. This can happen. In any reading on the future, this can happen.

Babs

SunChariot

Well, as far as your friend goes, spotting in early pregnancy sometimes occurs and is ok -- she should immediately see the doctor, not the cards if she thinks she's pregnant or miscarried. It is possible your cards were right on at the time, but then for whatever reason, she suffered a miscarriage -- sometimes the body is just random, other times there's an underlying condition, and I don't believe in using tarot cards to diagnose anything.

Anyway as far as "blind spots" go, I feel ya -- it can happen to the best of us and it's definitely happened to me; the cards were saying one thing, but the situation was doing something else. Don't beat yourself up over this! Although I'm curious how many repeat readings you did for her on the issue, because sometimes doing lots of readings on one subject in a short amount of time can muddy the waters. Additionally, I've often wondered myself sometimes what's the line between the cards illuminating a situation vs. self-fulfilling prophecy or confirmation bias. I sometimes post readings here because I want to make sure I'm not "seeing" what I want to see, even though we're "supposed to" trust our own intuition first -- even though intuition isn't always perfect... *hugs*

I've actually heard of women (rarely but I have heard of it) who got their periiods through there pregnancy and did not even know they were pregnant and then they gave birth. Someone just told me that happened to her aunt.

Babs

SilentBreeze

It could be predicting a healthy baby in the future, even though this wasn't the one it was pointing to. Just a thought.

Grizabella

Yes, as SilentBreeze pointed out, my thought would be that it could mean a child at a time in the future. It's not uncommon for Tarot to indicate outcomes further into the future than we assume is meant.

And of course, we all do have those blind spots. No reader is always 100% on the money every single time.

shadowdancer

It could be predicting a healthy baby in the future, even though this wasn't the one it was pointing to. Just a thought.

I second that. We are all human, and regardless of how long you have been reading cards, how much experience you have - you will have the occasion reading that leaves you devestated. The main thing is not to dwell on it too much. Take it for what it was, and ask "what have I learned from this?" You never know. It may have happened for a reason, and that reason could be further learning for you on how you deal with such a setback. Easier said than done I know, as it seems it meant a lot to you and I can understand why you feel the way you do.

If we expect to have positive feedback, 100% accurate every time we are always going to be setting ourselves up for a hard fall. You are a good reader and I go back to my first few lines here: reflect on it, not dwell on it, and see what learning you can take. And expect similar to happen again in the future. You are human.

Bless you and thanks for sharing. I can feel your emotion in your opening post.

Davina

aware7

Please don't feel bad!

Ironmama - everybody has their hits and misses with tarot.

Possibly the reading you did was not predictive but indicating energies/attitudes/what could happen if the reader did certain things etc etc. We all have to keep in mind that we are dealing with potentialities a lot of the time - and this should be emphasised to the person we are reading for.

But it's not easy to discern potentialities as opposed to predictions. I've posted elsewhere about how some cards that are often lucky/positive indicators generally turn out to mean that is going the way of somebody else, not me. These cards can also show the illusion of happiness as well as a warning that the happy image is simply that and not grounded in reality. I have been caught a number of times misinterpreting these cards for myself.

Then I've been hit with the Tower reality - but sadly the Tower didn't appear in my readings. If it had I would have immediately been cautious and thought that the positivity of the surface was not reality regarding energies or possible outcomes.

A trend for prediction I have noted in my readings tends to be the intrusion of cards that are not related to the questions being asked. Then I find out that the cards predicted something outside of what I was focusing on. It actually happened a few days ago - I kept getting a card about a family member I was not asking about and the message seemed very urgent and not good. It turns out they have an illness which long term causes a great derioration.

Sometimes tarot works like that. Other times it works the way you mentioned and you have no reason to blame yourself for any inaccuracy in your reading - just focus on potentialities and energies with the people you are reading for.

Melia

Or the soul that is the baby itsefl changed his mind and either decided he was not quite ready yet or decided to choose a different family and a different life. That may be the off the wall part for some. But I do beleive in reincarnation and that our souls choose the lives we move into. But also that there was a good reason for it...

I agree with this too. It's not off the wall.

Sinduction

I agree with the timing issue. I don't really do predictive readings because of this.

I do think she will be a mother eventually, but timing with tarot seems so unpredictable for me.

I think our future changes too easily. Oftentimes the simple act of consulting my cards changes the direction of my path and thus renders the reading inaccurate.

Instead of doing predictive readings, I try to focus on what my sitter can do in order to get their desired outcome. I know that doesn't really help you but sometimes we just get it wrong. Who knows why, it just happens.