Happy Squirrels?

Padma

Hi all, I was just reading a very old thread from 2004, about when the Happy Squirrel cards began popping up in tarot decks. A lot of the posts talked about the Happy Squirrel card being in the Simpson's show, when a fortune teller tells Lisa about her future wedding... and the also discuss what the Happy Squirrel card might actually mean, within context of a reading!

you can see the thread here if you are interested (it is about 15 pages long!) : http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=24667

Anyways, now that several decks seem to have a Happy Squirrel card, and it is 8 years later, any thoughts about what the Happy Squirrel has meant to you, in your readings?

Just curious! I wanted to get the Touchstone Tarot and I understand it has a Squirrel card in it...maybe those who participated in the 2004 thread could (pretty please!) share your insights for the benefit of new members! (well - and if new members have Happy Squirrel cards, feel free to say what they mean to you, too!) Thanks :)

PS here is a listing of some decks with Happy Squirrel card included...for those who don't have a deck with one.
http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/decks-with-a-happy-squirrel.shtml

Sinduction

I'm quite curious as well! I don't own a deck that has the Happy Squirrel card but the deck I'm currently designing will have one, just because I want one!

Le Fanu

Anyways, now that several decks seem to have a Happy Squirrel card, and it is 8 years later, any thoughts about what the Happy Squirrel has meant to you, in your readings?
I still dislike them as much as I ever did. Is it really 8 years of hate? Time flies.

I shall come clean; I'd think really carefully before buying a deck with a Happy Squirrel. I only have one and I didn't really realise till it came as there were a few other extra cards too. It seems gimmicky and forcing pop culture references. It feels like the deck is saying "aren't we krazy referencing the Simpsons?"

A deck with a Happy Squirrel is hard for me to take seriously. But I don't lose sleep over it.

Well you did ask! :D

Alta

I guess I am a spoil-sport. Decks can come with an extra card or two, the Magic Realist folks often include an extra interesting card for example. While I like them and keep them, I always remove them from the deck before using it. Except one, I leave both versions of The Lovers in the Victorian Romantic as I think each card has its own message.

Aulruna

I portrayed the Happy Squirrel last year at the costumed banquet at the Readers Studio ... and I introduced it as "The Happy Squirrel brings nothing but DOOOOOOOM!"

For readings, I don't use it unless I'm prepared to bring a few lighthearted remarks in. In the few cases it came up I treated it as some kind of Joker card.

Normally, I remove it.

Aulruna

I guess I am a spoil-sport. Decks can come with an extra card or two, the Magic Realist folks often include an extra interesting card for example. While I like them and keep them, I always remove them from the deck before using it. Except one, I leave both versions of The Lovers in the Victorian Romantic as I think each card has its own message.

No ... so am I! I'm removing these extra cards too, even the 2nd Lovers.
The one exception is the Dark Priestess form the Infinite Visions, which I irrationally love. To be even more inconsistent, I have removed the Dark Magician from the same deck!

Le Fanu

But I think having alternate Lovers cards, or two Emperors or even Hermés in the BBC can be traced back to tarot or the various aspects of a card; the Lovers, The Emperors quite easily have (at least) two dimensions and Hermés is an aspect of the Magician.

But the Happy Squirrel is just "I saw it in a cartoon and I'm going to be soo post-modern and reference it. Coz I'm witty." Nope. Don't buy it. :D

Of course, each to their own and loads of people will come forward and say "yes, but... yes, but..."

I just don't want it. It reminds me of those signs in the office "you don't have to be mad to work here but it helps". Forced kraziness...

Aulruna

I agree that often the extra cards have some foundation or other in the Tarot itself.

Still, it has always bothered me to have another aspect for a random Major and not for the others. And Danse Macabre and Memento Mori fit the theme of the deck, but have no Tarot foundation, either.

Le Fanu

I agree that often the extra cards have some foundation or other in the Tarot itself.

Still, it has always bothered me to have another aspect for a random Major and not for the others. And Danse Macabre and Memento Mori fit the theme of the deck, but have no Tarot foundation, either.
True. Interestingly, these are cards I don't like to leave in. Just realised that now. The other week I was reading for someone with the pewter BG and I'd forgotten to take out the Memento Mori card and it came up and I was a bit stumped as I hadn't sorted out my meaning for it yet! But as a rule, I tend to leave these ones out and the "added dimension" Majors stay in though I agree with you; why one and not the other?

But lets face it; Danse Macabre, Memento Mori, Dame Fortune's Wheel Significator and any of the other invented extras are a bit classier than the Happy Squirrel.

jema

It can't be that common though, I got 112 decks - used to own like 50 more - and never ever had a happy squirrel card! What are the odds?