I'm Just Curious...

SagiChar

In some of my high school years (and through a bit of college) me and a friend of mine would occasionally dabble with Ouija boards and tarot cards (although the tarot cards, not so much...we used them maybe 3-4 times and the deck I had got lost in a move).

Anyway, to make a long story short, I saw her last year (we only see each other yearly now) and told her (excitedly!) how I bought a new deck and am into tarot. Boy...did she give me the scariest look! :eek:

She proceeded to tell me the most spooky stories of things that had happened to her (evil/Devilish things - which is a whole other story).....and how she turned to religion to "ward out the Devil" and now she says her life has changed tremendously.

The reason I'm sharing this story is because it's gotten me to thinking. Ultimately, she blames it all on tarot (and maybe even Ouija boards)...and naturally, I'm thinking a majority of you feel the way I do (TAROT ISN'T EVIL)...but hey!...maybe not...sooo....:confused:

What I'm asking is...how many of you out there have heard similar stories, maybe even truly believe that tarot IS evil, or possibly have friends that think tarot is evil? })

Also...what do you TELL people that have a stand-offish feeling about tarot and it being evil?

I'm Just curious as to what everyone else has experienced on this subject...(or thinks!)

Thanks!

vee

I just ask "Well, what do you know about Tarot?" and then launch into a long winded pedantic explanation and usually somewhere between Visconti and the Hermetica, their eyes glaze over and they're no longer worried.

Being nerdy and boring is the ultimate rebuttal to charges of evil, because evil is always sexy and dangerous, right? ;)

SagiChar

vee said:
I just ask "Well, what do you know about Tarot?" and then launch into a long winded pedantic explanation and usually somewhere between Visconti and the Hermetica, their eyes glaze over and they're no longer worried.

Being nerdy and boring is the ultimate rebuttal to charges of evil, because evil is always sexy and dangerous, right?

HA HA!! That's great!! (If only I knew some of those eye glazing long winded explanations....) hmmm.....and yeah...nerdy and boring is a GREAT rebuttal...I like it - Thanks Vee!!!

Aurora369

I was at a family get together a few years back and this unfolded in such a way that I had to keep silent or risk having a family war. I have a cousin who is deeply into his Christian religion, so that should tell you where this is going. Another cousin of mine went for a tarot reading and was so excited about telling me what the reader had told him. The minute he started to relay what happened at the reading, my other cousin jumped in and started mouthing off as to how this was devil's work and if he was a good Christian he does not need to see what his future is. It is already written by God, etc. There was no rationalizing with my one cousin so I walked away and kept quiet. I do know how it is to have people hate tarot with such a passion that it disgusts me.

Sometimes, there is just no explaining to some people.

Edited to say, I do not believe that tarot cards are evil or bring evil into a person's life. I hope I have not strayed from the topic.

Frindle

Because I feel as though it is on topic, I will share this story.
There is no one who has lived in my childhood home who denies that it is haunted.

I took a huge brunt of the house's energy. This pertains to tarot because
when I would read the cards (in high school) I could literally feel (and see) a
presence watching me, although attacks never happened while I was handling my cards.

And there was much religion debate about the
house which does not belong here, but let's say that when my mother found
the devil's playthings (cards) and threw them out, the attacks from beyond
still did not stop, and it was there before I obtained said occult attractions.

Your friend may have tried to transfer that kind of association from her youth
(getting away from something else, tarot becomes a scapegoat).

All of that to say,no, I do not believe the cards are evil, bring evil with them,
conjure up evil, and that only someone who has made a pact with satan can use them.

SagiChar

Aurora369 said:
I was at a family get together a few years back and this unfolded in such a way that I had to keep silent or risk having a family war. I have a cousin who is deeply into his Christian religion, so that should tell you where this is going. Another cousin of mine went for a tarot reading and was so excited about telling me what the reader had told him. The minute he started to relay what happened at the reading, my other cousin jumped in and started mouthing off as to how this was devil's work and if he was a good Christian he does not need to see what his future is. It is already written by God, etc. There was no rationalizing with my one cousin so I walked away and kept quiet. I do know how it is to have people hate tarot with such a passion that it disgusts me.

Sometimes, there is just no explaining to some people.

Thanks for sharing your story! I have relatives that are Christian as well, and have NOT brought it up just for those reasons (devil's work - written by God etc..), although I DO have a really cool Grandmother who I've spoken to this about (and she is HIGHLY religious) and she believes it is okay and is not the devil's work! (Not that I need validation, but, I don't like family members thinking I'm into the devil's work!!!)

Aurora369 said:
Edited to say, I do not believe that tarot cards are evil or bring evil into a person's life. I hope I have not strayed from the topic.

Not at ALL...and thank you - I totally agree!!

SagiChar

Frindle said:
Because I feel as though it is on topic, I will share this story.
There is no one who has lived in my childhood home who denies that it is haunted.

I took a huge brunt of the house's energy. This pertains to tarot because
when I would read the cards (in high school) I could literally feel (and see) a
presence watching me, although attacks never happened while I was handling my cards.

And there was much religion debate about the
house which does not belong here, but let's say that when my mother found
the devil's playthings (cards) and threw them out, the attacks from beyond
still did not stop, and it was there before I obtained said occult attractions.

Your friend may have tried to transfer that kind of association from her youth
(getting away from something else, tarot becomes a scapegoat).

All of that to say,no, I do not believe the cards are evil, bring evil with them,
conjure up evil, and that only someone who has made a pact with satan can use them.

Frindle, thank you for sharing YOUR story as well! What must it have been like to feel a presence watching you, and ... attacks??? I've never had any of those type of encounters and wonder ... you must have been scared if you also referred to "attacks"...but, I suppose I am getting off topic....

I'm glad to see another person saying no to evil!!!

VGimlet

Tarot cards are paper and ink.
Ouija boards IMO, are wood with a nice overlay, and a planchette. I don't think either are capable of being evil. There are those who might argue with me about the latter.

I fooled with my Ouija board a lot as a kid - never called anything bad, even while we were living in a 'bad' neighboorhood where a lot of negative energy seemed focused. (This was not just me who thought this, either.)

SagiChar

VGimlet said:
Tarot cards are paper and ink.
Ouija boards IMO, are wood with a nice overlay, and a planchette. I don't think either are capable of being evil. There are those who might argue with me about the latter.

I fooled with my Ouija board a lot as a kid - never called anything bad, even while we were living in a 'bad' neighboorhood where a lot of negative energy seemed focused. (This was not just me who thought this, either.)

Yes (and I agree with the cards being paper and ink, and Ouija Boards being wood and a planchette), and somehow I also believe that if used with bad intentions....bad things can happen....???

Aurora369

Yes (and I agree with the cards being paper and ink, and Ouija Boards being wood and a planchette), and somehow I also believe that if used with bad intentions....bad things can happen....???

I agree with you on this completely!