Tarot or Oracle

louiseb

so i have a nice collection now of tarot and oracle, i just carnt me head round the oracle cards, is it harder to read oracle, whats your view?

DownUnderNZer

I find the LENORMAND and other oracles easier than TAROT.

TAROT for me is in too many layers and depths, but it does give more emotion perhaps.

I like to the POINT and SPECIFIC though.

Q: Is the the sky blue?. ANSWER (Lenormand): Yes, the sky is blue.
Q: Is this apple red? ANSWER (Tarot) Yes, it is red, BUT watch out for the worm inside as there could be one, and before you buy it make sure it is pest insecticide free or maybe make sure it is organic as that might be better. Going deeper still...where was it grown. The apple might be red, but there is alot more to the apple than just the outside etc etc etc.

Rev_Vesta

I find the best way to read any deck Oracle and Tarot... put the book back in the box.....

get yourself in a meditative quiet state.... choose one card.. breathe..... inhale, exhale slowly..... look at the card for 30 seconds..... then on a blank page... write down everything this card says to you.. colours, symbols, feelings, emotions, sensations, any thoughts, words, anything that seems to stand out.........

Then choose a 2nd card and repeat exercise.......and continue through the deck.....

then put choose two cards together..... and do the same thing....... then continue through the deck with different combinations...

try it with three card combinations........trust with self what you get is correct......

Hope this helps....

DownUnderNZer

My nephew would do that...look at the cards...go with what he got, but he was pulling things out of his backside. Seriously. It was like he was using his thoughts, what he knew, but coming out with things that did not resonate at all. Really bothered me....

I do think there are many that are naturally in tune to the tarot or oracle...as any divination.

Some just arent at all.

Point is...each person has to find her/his own way and strengths. Some need to learn from others, books, external sources...some from their own intuition...some from their guides. Each person is an individual and is unique, so what might work for one...might not work for another.

zannamarie

Tarot is one specific type of oracle so they are all oracles.

Some people do better with defined structure and tarot seems to have more of it than many other oracles.

Alamaris

Think of oracle decks as tarot's redheaded stepcousin -- they're all "oracles", so to speak, but they just have different systems. And in the case of oracles, many of those systems don't go beyond 'here's a nice affirmation of how special you are that doesn't actually answer your question'. A lot of what people call oracle decks are really just affirmation decks, and trying to interpret a decent reading out of them is a nightmare.

Say you ask the deck how to handle being laid off from work. The deck says, "You are loved by the angels!" Huh? Well, thanks, but...

Just like tarot has RWS, Thoth, various Marseilles traditions, and other quirky systems, depending on which deck you buy, so do oracles. I personally don't find it harder to read oracle cards -- I find it easier! There are usually less cards in an oracle deck, so it's easier to memorize a bit of the meaning of each card, so that you aren't always reaching for a companion book to interpret them. If you read intuitively, you need an oracle deck with clear and imaginative stories on the cards, not just symbols or people standing around looking pretty. As with tarot, for some people, half the challenge is finding the right one, with the right system and worldview for you.

Kris Hughes

I think you have to answer your own question about what is easier. Perhaps, first, you need a little clarity on what your reading purpose is. Is it self knowledge and growth, is it more about prediction of events or answering specific question, or maybe you are looking for advice. Next, I'd pick two or three of the decks that you have which appeal to you most, have a read of the books and ask yourself which system is going to fill your need the best. Then get stuck in and get to know that system for a month or two. If you like it, keep going. If you don't, try again.

As someone who is creating an oracle deck, I've also come to realise that the reasons why decks come into being can differ, and in some, I think the energy or intent of the creator is stronger, and worth honouring to a greater extent than others. Some deck creators are primarily artists, and creating a deck is a way of expressing themselves visually. They may be making personal or spiritual or occult statements through the deck, or not. This goes for both Tarot and oracle. Other decks are intended to have fairly specific meanings, which may not be at all clear from just looking at the picture. If you think it should be clear from looking at the picture - then pick a deck where this is the case. Equally, if the deck creator seems to have a strong belief that their cards should have fairly specific meanings, perhaps it will work better if you follow their method, or choose a different deck.

SunChariot

so i have a nice collection now of tarot and oracle, i just carnt me head round the oracle cards, is it harder to read oracle, whats your view?

No, but it's a different technique. Just like Runes are easy enough to read, but the read differently. Tarot and Oracles are easy enough to read for me, but I guess when reading an Oracle, you need to put away and forget for the time being anything you know about Tarot. It does not apply in an Oracle reading.

That being said, maybe the reason each are equally easy for me is that I read both Tarot and Oracles mainly through the imagery. So in a sense my reading styles for both are very very similar.

Babs

louiseb

I find the LENORMAND and other oracles easier than TAROT.

TAROT for me is in too many layers and depths, but it does give more emotion perhaps.

I like to the POINT and SPECIFIC though.

Q: Is the the sky blue?. ANSWER (Lenormand): Yes, the sky is blue.
Q: Is this apple red? ANSWER (Tarot) Yes, it is red, BUT watch out for the worm inside as there could be one, and before you buy it make sure it is pest insecticide free or maybe make sure it is organic as that might be better. Going deeper still...where was it grown. The apple might be red, but there is alot more to the apple than just the outside etc etc etc.

how simple you explained this but so true, even though im not sure how to use the oracle i can now see the simplicity of this.
Thanks

louiseb

I find the best way to read any deck Oracle and Tarot... put the book back in the box.....

get yourself in a meditative quiet state.... choose one card.. breathe..... inhale, exhale slowly..... look at the card for 30 seconds..... then on a blank page... write down everything this card says to you.. colours, symbols, feelings, emotions, sensations, any thoughts, words, anything that seems to stand out.........

Then choose a 2nd card and repeat exercise.......and continue through the deck.....

then put choose two cards together..... and do the same thing....... then continue through the deck with different combinations...

try it with three card combinations........trust with self what you get is correct......

Hope this helps....
this helps i will try this. Thanks