Feeling like I've "been there"..

Parasphere

I thought I would post this in the RWS forum but decided to put it here instead, because it can apply to ANY deck. My question or concern may have been discussed before, and I apologize if it has. Anyhow- ever since I looked at the RWS for the first time ever (when I was about 14 maybe), I have had an almost dreadful feeling. I look at the background of the pictures (the town, the castles, flags, the sky etc) and I feel strongly that I have BEEN there before. I cannot explain it. It invokes a powerful feeling in which I resonate very strongly with the place the images occur in. Does anyone else feel this way about a particular card or deck or image? I don't want to get into the whole past-life thing, because I am not sure about that, but any feedback would be appreciated. For what it may be worth, my background is not 'Western', so I don't have any heritage from the regions depicted in the cards.

Thanks.

Luna-Ocean

I thought I would post this in the RWS forum but decided to put it here instead, because it can apply to ANY deck. My question or concern may have been discussed before, and I apologize if it has. Anyhow- ever since I looked at the RWS for the first time ever (when I was about 14 maybe), I have had an almost dreadful feeling. I look at the background of the pictures (the town, the castles, flags, the sky etc) and I feel strongly that I have BEEN there before. I cannot explain it. It invokes a powerful feeling in which I resonate very strongly with the place the images occur in. Does anyone else feel this way about a particular card or deck or image? I don't want to get into the whole past-life thing, because I am not sure about that, but any feedback would be appreciated. For what it may be worth, my background is not 'Western', so I don't have any heritage from the regions depicted in the cards.

Thanks.

Hi Parasphere

I'm not really sure what your question is about, i think your asking about a past life connection with a deck or the RWS, unless i'm wrong which wouldn't be the first time. :)

For me the 6 of cups in the RWS will have a past life experience with me, it maybe just a childhood town or place that looked similar to that card that is still logged in my memory, but definitely a connection that could possibly be coming back again, but it won't necessarily mean i should be scared if it does.

Parasphere

Thanks Star! Sorry if I wasn't clear. All I was saying is that when I look at the cards in RWS, I get a strong "connected" feeling as though I have been INSIDE those cards before. Make sense? In any case, thanks for your answer. I think I should meditate further on the cards to see if I get any sort of message purely out of the feelings I get.

Richard

Thanks Star! Sorry if I wasn't clear. All I was saying is that when I look at the cards in RWS, I get a strong "connected" feeling as though I have been INSIDE those cards before. Make sense? In any case, thanks for your answer. I think I should meditate further on the cards to see if I get any sort of message purely out of the feelings I get.
Yes, it makes sense. It's a type of Déjà vu. I have it frequently. It may have something to do with the timining mechanism in the brain, in which one sees something, but there may be a delayed reaction, so that the realization of what one has seen seems like it was in the past. Or maybe it is more mysterious than that. This may explain why I am particularly attracted to the RWS. It sort of fits me like a glove, and the accuracy is incredible. Yes, the background scenes do seem uncannily familiar to me. Perhaps the artist was tuned into some aspect of the collective unconscious, so that we resonate to the images. I've known of a few other people who react this way to the RWS.

Alta

I also feel a strong connection to the RWS, and it is in a 'I have seen this before' sense, but in other ways I feel oddly detached. Sort of like viewing a play, you can get caught up in the story but still be aware you are in the audience.

Chronata

I have ALWAYS felt a connection like this to the RWS as well. I am glad I am not alone!

When I was younger, I actually tried locating some of the scenes (like the shapes of the castles, or the way a river looks in the card) but I never found anything concrete.

It's like she was tapping into a dream place in the collective unconscious or something.

Parasphere

Thanks guys! I am also glad I'm not alone. The idea of her tapping into the collective unconscious makes a lot of sense, hence our similar reactions. This is amazing. Now I love the cards even more :)

SunChariot

Not to go too far into telling you something you said you did not wan to discuss much, but my take on it is that you most likely HAVE beento those places in a past life or two and that unconsciously you still have the memery of being there,

That being said, here is an idea. Why don't you ask your cards about it, why you are having this feeling, where it comes from, ...I am pretty sure tha ought to reveal somethign instesting. I know I would be intersted to hear what they might say about it.

Babs

bellathebrave123

Yes, i know this feeling well. I get it too. Paticularly with certain cards. Its weird, sometimes i think its just familiarity with the cards themselves but other times i feel like its the location itself.

raeanne

Hi Parasphere,
I have never had the feeling that I have been at the location of a tarot card but I did have a very strange experience when I watched the first Harry Potter film. When Harry walked into the wand shop for the first time, I got such a strong feeling that I had been in that shop before! Then I thought, "Wait a minute - this is a movie set of a fiction story". The feeling persists. Even today, if I re-watch that movie, I will get the feeling that I have been in Ollivander's Wand Shop! I know how that shop feels, I know which boards on the floor creak, and can even pick up the smell of the wood and boxes. Beats me why this happens. I kind of enjoy it though!