Intuitive decks?

dolphinprincess

.. hope i word this question clearly...

** there are many tarot decks out there that have very intuitive pictures (instead of pips, keywords, etc..).. and even though you have the defined meaning of that card, one can read just by looking at the picture... (ex. robin wood...)...

**.. with most oracle decks i have seen, even though you can use intuition.. the pictures are rarely intutitive... like the medicine cards just has a pic of the animal, the fairy ring has a picture of the fairy... etc.... even though you can get a sense of the card from the look of whatever is depicted... the scene itself does not allow for a story... ... or many oracle cards use keywords...

my question.. are there any oracle decks that have very intuitive pictures... where you can kind of build a story from whatever is going on in the card..... just by looking at the cards... ???

hope this makes sense :eek:)

raeanne

Hi Dolphinprincess,
I think you stated your question very well. One thing that you might be overlooking is the individuality of oracle decks. To you the Medicine cards are just pictures of animals. To someone else, a picture of a fox might tell them many stories; what type of personality a fox has, where it sleeps, what it had to eat last night, how many young ones it has, what it fears, what it considers to be pleasurable, how people are like foxes, etc., etc. It all depends on what you listen to. I think oracle decks either pluck your strings or they don’t. Are there any specific areas you are interested in? Native American? Celtic? Pagan? Crystals? Space? Since each oracle deck is it’s own little world, I think the person using it has to invest a bit of time making the connections. Let us know some of your interests and maybe we can point you to some decks that might make your heart sing.

Le_Corsair

The Psycards, illustrated by Maggie Kneen, are very simple in their archetypes, for the most part. There are only forty cards, no reversals as such, and the images self-explanatory. The Voyage, for example, shows a ship at sea; Prison shows a person behind bars; Money shows coins turned up by a plow; Friendship shows companions drinking in a tavern; Destruction shows a scene of warfare; The Message shows a note in a bottle. I find them incredibly easy to use, and the artwork (Kneen also did the Old English Tarot) is pleasant and warm.

Bob :THERM

Astraea

Soul Cards I (and II, presumably, though I don't have the second set) operate completely intuitively and are quite beautiful.

raeanne

Astraea said:
Soul Cards I (and II, presumably, though I don't have the second set) operate completely intuitively and are quite beautiful.

I have Soul Cards I and II. They are both very expressive! Thanks Astraea for mentioning these! I strongly recommend both decks, either individually or as a larger double set.

dolphinprincess

thank you for the replies :eek:)

.. i forgot all about soul cards.. i'll have to check them out :eek:).. i'll also take a look at the psycards...

raeanne- the fox analogy was an excellent way to approach oracle cards.. I actually really like oracles and try to do that when I read them.. ( i have the wolf song deck..)...

just for a different spin, i was looking for a deck that relied more heavily on the picture itself to tell the story.. there are tarot decks that are like this - but the meanings are still tied to the traditional tarot meaning... so i thought an oracle deck would allow for greater creativity... !

lunalafey

take a look at the infinite

http://www.infinitetarot.com/
This is a deck that is called tarot, but does not follow the old fashioned-traditional meanings. The images are comfortable & modern. When I first got this deck, I knew it was going to be something all new to learn(not like a transition from RW to say, Legends) I would lay the cards out for a reading & go with the images & placements. I would write up a pre-book-look reading for the cards & then review it to what the book had to say.
It is a very easy (not simple) deck to work with (IMO). I have also found that the deck (or it's just the deck in my hands?) likes to address past lives in certain readings about certain things.
There are several readings I have done with this deck, some of the very first ones, in the reading exchange.

dolphinprincess

thanks for the great suggestions..

i am loving the soul cards and i really like the infinite tarot :eek:)

i also stumbled on to the symbolon deck, which looks pretty interesting too...

hmmm.. decisions!