has this ever happened to you

louiseb

i have never had the ability to read for myself, is this common amongst readers, i just blank i dont see things clear. whats your views guys do you have the same problem and if so is there a reason for this blockage;

Thanks guys

Dan181

I would think that you draw a blank because you only want to hear what you want to hear The best thing is to write down what the spread as a paragraph with the generic one sentence meanings, for the decks lwb as sentences. Start the sentence with what the spread card position is for, and end the sentence with th meaning. Write this down as a paragraph and then read it out loud. It is not much, but it is a start and then go from there.

Zoreena

I think I can relate to your problem...

I too was pretty mystified when the cards started to show different and un-relevant meanings to my questions. But I found out a secret!! The Cards also sometime just address the issue that is most important at that moment, even if its different from what you asked the cards to show you.
I also agree with Dan181, perhaps you just THINK that the spreads are not working for you. Write down the spreads, because something that could happen later on in your day might actually make you say," Wow, that earlier spread that I couldn't figure out, now makes sense!" That's how I am all the time:)
Also don't stress over it. Remember to always keep an open mind too:) If you believe in your cards and use them with good intentions, they will always help.

*Also maybe you need to spiritually cleanse your cards too.
(Meditate for a while, then envision golden light spreading from your aura, through your hands, bathing the cards while you shuffle them.) or Google a procedure:)

Argenta

It was difficult at first, yes.
So I changed questions around a bit -- not so many yes/no questions, more open-ended ones, nothing I'm losing my head about.
I also went on-line to get readings for myself and see how these turn out.
And I write them all down, so I can evaluate my readings later on.

WingspreadPhoenix

I have indeed had situations where I completely blank out when trying to read for myself. Thankfully, this happens less and less the more I practice.
It may continue to happen regardless of the amount of practice you have, but that's normal. Sometimes things just happen. But if it does happen, it may just be a sign that you need a short break from reading.

Grizabella

It's just hard to be objective and impartial when it comes to reading for ourselves. The closest I usually come to reading for myself, even after quite a few years of reading for others, is just to lay out some cards every morning and see what they say, not specifically for me but just in general. Sometimes I actually do find a message for myself but since I'm not specifying that I'm doing it for myself, there's not that block I might otherwise get. And I never ask a question.

Lula Jing

I mostly read for myself and have learned a great deal about myself and the cards in the process by 'living' the cards (often understood retrospectively) which is why it's important to write them down. Being concise usually works for me using fairly short spreads with fewer cards. It helps to recall them later when you have an aha moment. I think if you can tackle reading for yourself, reading for others feels much much easier.

Sulis

Most of my readings are for myself and always have been.. Tarot has helped me through many problems but I think it is difficult because you often really want to see certain cards and a certain outcome.
I think when reading for myself the best thing to do is to pretend that I'm reading for someone else. I don't think objectivity is a problem really because it helps to know the situation.. You have to be open to anything coming up though and keep asking yourself 'If this was a reading for someone else, how would I read these cards?'
Remember too to keep yourself as the main focus of the reading, so be very aware of the type of question you're asking - things like 'How can I?' and 'What do I need to know?'.

One exercise that I've found really helps for self reading and for reading for others is to use a pretend querant - I use Tarot Mouse; a stuffed mouse I made 30-odd years ago in school.
I pretend that he is the querant, he asks his question and I read for him. I imagine his answers and we have conversation as I would with a real querant. It's a really good visualisation / role playing exercise and it really does help with the objectivity and also with finding your voice - I speak the readings as I sometimes find that I know what the cards are saying but have trouble putting it into words so Tarot Mouse helps with that too (in fact it was for finding my voice that I really started using him)..
Give it a go, you've got nothing to lose and I've found it's really helped my readings get better over the years.

MaineGirl117

Like other people have mentioned, I think objectivity really plays a huge role in reading for yourself. I still do daily draws (sometimes small spreads, sometimes large spreads) and ask about what will happen 'Today' or within 24 hours - not saying that the spread doesn't provide a sequence of events that extend beyond this time frame, but I usually see results in that time frame as they relate to 'me'. I've learned a lot from this sort of practice, especially about cards that usually cause one to pause, like 5/swords, 3/swords, 10/swords, Tower etc... It's gotten me over my initial gut clenching response to these cards and how they just 'play a role' and aren't an 'end all be all - HORRIBLE - event.'

Lula Jing

I think when reading for myself the best thing to do is to pretend that I'm reading for someone else.
Yes, I do that too. And I love your tarot mouse idea! :)