Newbie To Tarot confused with meanings help

Gracie2k

I am taking 2 course on Tarot. I am feeling out of my depth as, I decided to confuse myself very badly. I switched from their views to looking online at other's views and this is where i became lost. Each site each person has their own way with the cards. My problem is where to find the best book as a basis to know the meanings of the cards.
I am struggling. I am studying one course and the plan is then to study the next course.
I don't know how best to rectify the situation. Advice needed please thank you.

gregory

If you are confused, then quit with the courses for now (did they cost MONEY ?) and try reading up on Thirteen's meanings - she is here and can answer questions directly.

The button that will help you most is top right:

www.aeclectic.net/tarot/learn/

Try the top link ! Thirteen is not confusing at all :D

But you will find this in everything to do with tarot. Almost no two people agree about anything. You need in the end to start to develop your own meanings. It will come - don't stress out.

Annabelle

Forget the books and courses. All you need in order to read tarot cards is simply . . . a deck of tarot cards. The meanings are what you make of them. Read what you see.

newlillith

Hi Gracie2k, it's easy to get confused in the beginning. A lot of beginners (me included) try to read too many sources and just overwhelm themselves with information. I would definitely recommend look at the link gregory gave you, as it's FREE! Also, meanings can vary from deck to deck, but it's helpful to acquaint yourself with the basics of any system you're using. Rider-Waite decks are different from Marseilles style decks are different from Thoth style decks. Which type are you using? If you don't know you can post here and someone will tell you or you can try looking it up in the decks section of Aecletic Tarot. Finally, I recommend just giving yourself time. Use the book or the web link whenever you're reading or just sitting down with the cards. You'll get it soon enough.

Mallah

The cards are messages between your (well, you can call it lots of things...higher self, guide, angel, unconcious, superconcious, etc etc...it's the same thing...) and your concious, "ego" self.

You higher self (or whatever) can track whatever meanings you happen to retain and assign to a given card. It will gradually "stretch" you to see more and more meanings and those can get added to the meanings you already have, or re-assigned/re-programmed by you, your concious self...it's as if you say, "Ok, higher self, this card is going to mean THIS to me. And it will. Untill you (or your higher self) decides to change it. When that happens, you'll be sitting there, and the card will come up, and you'll say to yourself, "hmm, I know this card usually means X, but today it seems to mean Y." Then, you have a card that meand X and Y. And don't worry about memorizing it all, your unconcious/higher self is in charge of all that, and will remind you, and bring to the fore, the meaning it wants you to apply today. Personally, I think it's good to read books (cause that's the way I did it, and of course, I did it the right way ;-). Read bunches and bunches of them if you want... and if you see something that really leaps out at you and gives you one of those "OF COURSE! EUREKA!" moments, then great! If not, don't worry, you'll forget it along with the rest of the stuff you've forgotten. But the stuff that really impresses you does so because it touches deep, and your higher self will somehow (who knows how, really) retain that, and remind you.

Grizabella

When I started with Tarot, I thought it was a matter of just getting some meanings memorized and off I'd go. Boy, was I wrong! It's like that old saying, "The more I know, the more I know I don't know". :)

Don't tense up and try to cram. You'll be knowing just what you need to know as you go along. You'll be forever adding to your knowledge, but for each reading you do, you'll always know just what you need to know to complete that reading as it should be done at that particular time. It's one of the beautiful mysteries of the Tarot.

Cenozoic

I'm still learning Tarot too. The important thing to remember is that each time a card shows up, it will mean something slightly different, given the situation. With tarot there's no exact book to follow, because it's like a picture that describes a thousand words. It's up to you to describe what you feel is the story.

Each person will have their own way with the cards. That's how the cards are special to them. You just have to do it your own way, and follow your own heart. That's what the tarot is all about.

Just remember the meanings in general. I only looked up the meanings online and through the booklets that the cards came with. The best way to learn though, is by doing readings on yourself. You will begin to see how the magic unfolds as your own story is shown, and you'll have a better bond with each card.

Gracie2k

Yes the courses are paid for and I am not quitting the courses as, I enjoy knowledge it is giving me a routine to follow and it's something I really need after the loss of my mother. I want to have something to study and get me through each day, For me the solidarity of it all is really important to me.Their meanings are different to mine and I do trust the readers. No I didn't part with high end money. I can see people scowling but, I need this right now.
I need to learn and it's helping me find books I hadn't heard of.

gregory

If you spent the money - fair enough; I wouldn't quit either if there were money involved - that's why I asked ! And good for you - routine is great at bad times. So then, just don't let their meanings tie you down - as they are NOT written in stone, just pointers to help you find your own, IMHO.

Gracie2k

I am focusing on the major arcana right now studying them closely and taking it slowly.