Packed 8th house

LovelyMissAries

Hi all :)

I'd like to know how a packed 8th house would affect/not affect one's love life? I have Saturn, Uranus, and Neptune all in Capricorn there. So far what I can tell is it helps in attracting people with Capricorn and Scorpio in their natal chart.

I will try to keep up with the thread but if it delves too deeply into the unknowns of astrology, you might see me disappear! That's not to say I'm not reading but I'm still very much a beginner and won't have anything to add or debate upon. Just questions...

Minderwiz

Hi all :)

I'd like to know how a packed 8th house would affect/not affect one's love life? I have Saturn, Uranus, and Neptune all in Capricorn there. So far what I can tell is it helps in attracting people with Capricorn and Scorpio in their natal chart.

I will try to keep up with the thread but if it delves too deeply into the unknowns of astrology, you might see me disappear! That's not to say I'm not reading but I'm still very much a beginner and won't have anything to add or debate upon. Just questions...

Traditionally romance and your love life (which should be enjoyable) are fifth house. If you're in to medical astrology the eighth 'rules' the sex organs, which are not the same thing (though clearly problems with them may have a significant effect).

It's possible that any/all of these planets might square any planet in the fifth and if Saturn rules the eigth cusp and squares the fifth cusp or planets in the fifth or the ruler of the fifth, then it might signify possible restrictions on enjoying yourself.

As you are almost certainly using Placid us cusps, it's not certain what sign is on the fifth cusp - Libra would be a possibility but so would Scorpio or adjacent signs depending on where the eighth cusp is.

Psychologists, especially Freudian ones don't necessarily see you love life as enjoyable and may identify it with the eighth through Scorpio as the eighth sign but that's a misunderstanding of both love lives in general and Astrology in particular.

LovelyMissAries

Traditionally romance and your love life (which should be enjoyable) are fifth house. If you're in to medical astrology the eighth 'rules' the sex organs, which are not the same thing (though clearly problems with them may have a significant effect).

It's possible that any/all of these planets might square any planet in the fifth and if Saturn rules the eigth cusp and squares the fifth cusp or planets in the fifth or the ruler of the fifth, then it might signify possible restrictions on enjoying yourself.

As you are almost certainly using Placid us cusps, it's not certain what sign is on the fifth cusp - Libra would be a possibility but so would Scorpio or adjacent signs depending on where the eighth cusp is.

Psychologists, especially Freudian ones don't necessarily see you love life as enjoyable and may identify it with the eighth through Scorpio as the eighth sign but that's a misunderstanding of both love lives in general and Astrology in particular.

I was using Whole Signs as I was advised that was what was used a long time ago. In Placidus, those three planets are in my 7th house and Pluto goes back onto the cusp of my 5th and 6th houses (though is read in my 5th because of a two degree difference) Saturn and Neptune are both sextile Pluto. I've tried finding information on this that applies to the individual, but so far it keeps referring to the aspect(s) as "generational" so I assume it doesn't matter in my love life whatsoever.

Minderwiz

I was using Whole Signs as I was advised that was what was used a long time ago. In Placidus, those three planets are in my 7th house and Pluto goes back onto the cusp of my 5th and 6th houses (though is read in my 5th because of a two degree difference) Saturn and Neptune are both sextile Pluto. I've tried finding information on this that applies to the individual, but so far it keeps referring to the aspect(s) as "generational" so I assume it doesn't matter in my love life whatsoever.

That'll. teach me to jump to conclusions LOL. You are quite right Whole Sign Houses is the original system of topical houses, I.e. used to assess areas of life. Quadrant houses were used lovely to assess planetary strength in the length of life calculation.

Aspects between outer planets are debatable at a personal level. Nearly all textbooks use that word 'generational' and that means the effect (if any) applies to everyone. However a large number of astrologers still use the aspects in a personal way through the houses. I don't do that so won't comment on those aspects

Minderwiz

Using whole sign houses, Capricorn is the eighth place (house). That means that Libra is the fifth place (house). Your issue comes down to:

Are there any planets in Libra (squared from the eighth by sign)
If so are there any of these squared by degree
Is Venus (ruler of the fifth) in Aries and squared, either by sign or degree)

Assuming the answer to these is no, things are looking good (though I don't have your full chart so
Treat that provisionally)

You could also look at the various Lots of marriage if you want to go into it in more depth

LovelyMissAries

Using whole sign houses, Capricorn is the eighth place (house). That means that Libra is the fifth place (house). Your issue comes down to:

Are there any planets in Libra (squared from the eighth by sign)
If so are there any of these squared by degree
Is Venus (ruler of the fifth) in Aries and squared, either by sign or degree)

Assuming the answer to these is no, things are looking good (though I don't have your full chart so
Treat that provisionally)

You could also look at the various Lots of marriage if you want to go into it in more depth

Venus in Aries is in the 11th house and does square Saturn and Neptune, no planets in Libra so nothing is squaring from there.

dadsnook2000

The "generational" planets

When we see the phrase "generational planets" we should see this as a reminder of that which we should already know. Uranus and its outward sister planets are not "personal" but inhabit a sign for so many years that a whole generation (or at least a half generation) has them in common.

How should you deal with them?

FIRST, recognize that they most commonly exhibit their energies on the world scene. For example, Pluto into Capricorn is seen as being in the process of dismantling structures such as banking systems, governments, corporate practices, political processes, etc.

SECOND, know that your personal planets have to have an aspect relationship with one of the generational planets in order for that planet to typically express itself. Mars conjoining Pluto will enable you to kill the Ogre living in the basement, or Venus conjoining Uranus gives you permission to have a one-night fling --- or perhaps not.

There are other factors to consider. One of the outer planets going across a chart angle will point to subtle long-term changes occurring in your life. Or Jupiter and/or Saturn (the planets representing the business of life, your business of your life) aspecting an outer planet can fuel changes in the way you interact and work with others so as to take advantage of them or what they offer to improve your life status.

Just some thoughts. Dave

LovelyMissAries

When we see the phrase "generational planets" we should see this as a reminder of that which we should already know. Uranus and its outward sister planets are not "personal" but inhabit a sign for so many years that a whole generation (or at least a half generation) has them in common.

How should you deal with them?

FIRST, recognize that they most commonly exhibit their energies on the world scene. For example, Pluto into Capricorn is seen as being in the process of dismantling structures such as banking systems, governments, corporate practices, political processes, etc.

SECOND, know that your personal planets have to have an aspect relationship with one of the generational planets in order for that planet to typically express itself. Mars conjoining Pluto will enable you to kill the Ogre living in the basement, or Venus conjoining Uranus gives you permission to have a one-night fling --- or perhaps not.

There are other factors to consider. One of the outer planets going across a chart angle will point to subtle long-term changes occurring in your life. Or Jupiter and/or Saturn (the planets representing the business of life, your business of your life) aspecting an outer planet can fuel changes in the way you interact and work with others so as to take advantage of them or what they offer to improve your life status.

Just some thoughts. Dave

I appreciate it! I didn't reailze (even though it's obvious) they have to aspect a personal planet.

Saturn, Uranus and Neptune all aspect my Sun and Moon in a way. Someone told me the effects are akin to having a Capricorn Moon/Venus, Aquarius moon, Pisces moon, etc. Still confusing though. My moon and pluto make an opposition regardless if I'm using Placidus or Whole signs, which I was told was a Hades moon, and similar to having a Scorpio moon. I suppose I'm just throwing out what I know now and not making any sense but at the same time you and Minderwiz surely sound experienced enough to tell me if that kind of logic is hogwash or valid.

dadsnook2000

Aspects and planets

Each type of aspect has its own specific meaning. Except for the conjunct and opposition, each of the other aspects has both an opening and a closing version --- think of the opening sextile (60 degrees from the conjunction-point) and closing sextile (300 degrees from the conjunction-point). The opening aspect is waxing (increasing) and overlays the aspect meaning with a sense of urgency, action to do something, enthusiasm, self-orientation. The closing aspect is waning (decreasing) and overlays the aspect meaning with a sense of patience, maturity, need to accomplish and give outwardly of oneself.

Conjunctions tend to blend and fuse their planet's interpretation.

Oppositions tend to, well, oppose. They differentiate, create a tension, highlight a polarity between people and energies, seek to find a means of bridging differences, alternate between one view and another.

Squares confront, each component taking an approach that works at cross purposes with the other component. There is a strain, neither wants to give way to the other, there is less or little cooperation in a typical sense.

Trines tend to facilitate the energies between two planets, even if that means letting two different and incompatible energies alternate being doing and waiting.

Sextiles find ways of talking, negotiating, finding common ground, communicating.

All of these aspect meanings seem based on phase relationships such as those voiced by Dane Rudhyar in his Lunation Cycle or Marc Robertson in his Engine of Destiny. Even the more uncommon or minor aspects pick up on phase relationships. Dave