How do I go about becoming a pro?

tarotenthusiastako

Hello everyone,

I had been studying the tarot for a year now. I feel that I am ready to go professional. But my problem is I don't have a clue hoe to start doing it?

I tried to look into telephone readings but it seems that they are looking for a more experienced readers. I must admit that the people I had read for mostly are here in this forum in the reading exchange.

How did you guys prepare to become a pro? I went to a reader and he told me that I can go pro and I will be successful doing it but I told him that I am only studying the tarot for a year and a bit skeptical on what he told me but he insisted that I am more than capable of going pro.

So where can I get a part time job reading for people? I love doing readings for others and I have a passion in helping people with my intuition reading the tarot.

Grizabella

Well, I'd just suggest starting out by reading for live people. I don't recommend the phone lines or the online places that hire you because those people take most of your money. You might as well just start with friends and then go pro after you've done semi-pro stuff. Get in some live, face-to-face practice. Just tell them you're getting ready to go pro and offer them readings for free the first reading or for a small amount or even in exchange for something like a soda or coffee or whatever you feel like. (What I mean is, a free first reading and then they can start paying for return visits.)

I've always preferred reading for donations. It works out real well for most people. Here in Oregon there's even a restaurant that operates on donations and they say it averages a greater income return than if they did it by standard pay rates. Some people pay generously if they can, some people don't pay, but in the long run it works out very well. Put out a cup or other container and just do it that way. :)

tarotenthusiastako

Grizabella,

What do you mean that phone lines and nonlinear psychic work would take most of my money? You mean they wont pay me back or not pay a good rate? I heard that they pay between $12 to $15 an hour? Is that false advertising for some nonlinear and telephone lines?

tarotbear

I have to ask what you mean by or think of by 'Going Pro.' For most of us that means we get some kind of compensation for the reading, by barter, donation, doing parties, etc. It isn't a 'basic living wage' by any means. It mostly means that we believe that due to our experience (or dare I say 'expertise'?) that we feel comfortable by asking for payment.

For someone who has only been reading a year (no dissing your abilities here) and you want to "Go Pro" ... well, I'm skeptical, for one! I was thrust into it by circumstances. But IHMO - you need to be out there doing lots of readings for the general public to prove your abilities before you hang up that shingle and take out an ad in the phonebook...or create a website. Reading Tarot as a professional is a business. Doing something you like is one thing; doing something because you are getting paid for it is quite something else.

I think you need to develope as a reader before you 'decide' to become a reader. I don't think you should be looking for the $12-15/ hours pay rate, because that is a pretty mercenary way to look at the reason for 'Going Pro.'

tarotenthusiastako

hi tarotbear

yes i would like to spend lots of time reading for a lot of people but i just don't know how to go about it or perhaps give lots and lots of readings only here and people I know. where should I do it in public? I really have no clue and perhaps that is one reason why I want to do a telephone reading because it's there available to apply.

Yineth

hi tarotbear

yes i would like to spend lots of time reading for a lot of people but i just don't know how to go about it or perhaps give lots and lots of readings only here and people I know. where should I do it in public? I really have no clue and perhaps that is one reason why I want to do a telephone reading because it's there available to apply.

These are some of the suggestions/methods/attempts I've seen other ATers report about on their first outings for reading in public. I don't know if they're tried and true methods, but hopefully they'll jog some ideas for you. Take things slow and start from familiar grounds by reading for friends and family. Good luck.

Ex 1: Halloween Bash

Witches, Goblins, and Monsters Galore! Bobbing for apples is dandy and all, but why not push for the extra mile by having someone read peoples' "fortunes"
Whether you get paid or not is strictly up to you and the other party, but the possibility of reading for others is there.

Ex 2: Reading at coffee shops, cafes, your local Starbucks, etc.

-Recommendation: Speak to the shop owner/manager before approaching this idea-

Grab a table, set up a little table tent saying "Free Tarot Readings" and enjoy a cup of tea or some fancy fake-Italian named Starbucks drink. People who are interested may approach you, or you may end up sitting there for a few hours.

Grizabella

On first glance, sometimes it seems that becoming a paid Tarot reader is a cinch. "Oh heck, all I gotta do is memorize some card meanings and I'm good to go. What a sweet way to earn bucks." It's not like that at all. It's not that easy, for one thing. And for another, it's a responsibility you can't take lightly. The people you read for often base major life decisions on the results of your readings for them and that's a big responsibility for you because you have to be quite sure of what you're reading for them. If you get it wrong, then they get it wrong and it may have great big ramifications in their life. You never know.

Also, the people here are a lot more understanding and easy on you than the people who are going to pay you for readings. It's not easy. Live readings and doing a lot of practice before going pro will give you the basis for deciding whether this is something you really want to do or not, or whether it's just a shark tank and you'd rather do something else.

The reason I say the phone lines and places like that take your money is because you usually only get a fraction of what they get. That $10-15 dollars you may get means they're getting $45 or more dollars off YOUR work. Now, it's true that that's what happens when you work for someone else, but some of those places allow the customer to always be right and that means if the customer disputes your reading, they take the money away from you. There are tons of people who work that system and will dispute your readings just to get the readings for free, and they have many other scams to get free readings so you work for someone else who will take 3/4 of the money you're charging---when somebody doesn't rip you off--and then let people rip you off into the bargain without taking your side. I know because I did online readings for one of the companies for awhile. I never had a dispute, but I've heard lots of the stories.

See, the meanings you've memorized and the practice readings you've done are just scratching the surface. You have quite a road to travel before you should hang out a shingle. Like I said, barter or donations or better yet, do live free readings for awhile and consider that your internship. By "awhile", I'm talking much longer than just a month or a few weeks.

divinerofcards

For what it's worth, I would agree with Grizabella on this. I know the querants will ask you how long you've been reading because 7 out of 10 times that I read I get asked that question. I don't believe I would feel comfortable answering "one year", and your clients may well doubt your reading - as good as it may be! - as well.

This is my 2 cents, but you have to do what you feel is right for you. :) Good luck!

Toni

magpie9

Grizabella's hit it on the nose. You really need a lot of f2f readings before you're ready to go pro. Reading for free/donations at a local coffee-shop gives you great practice and teaches you how to deal with the people attached to the readings. You need that. Client expectation is a lot different when there's money involved. The standard is much much higher.
Last week I had a young woman come to me hoping for a reading job saying sje's been reading for 8 years for friends and family and everyone loved her readings, etc. So I asked her to read for me...she had to look every card up in a book, and read the book aloud to me. Couldn't relate the cards to each other, Couldn't even summarize the reading as a whole. She thought maybe she'd do better if she memorized the meanings, and planned to if she got the job. Not Ready For Prime Time. I'm not suggesting you're not a whole lot better at it than she was. But even so, a year is just not enough time to get the level of practice in and the ease with the cards and spreads you need to go pro.Let alone the people skills.
The easiest readings and best practice is f2f. You have the advantage of seeing each others expressions, body language...all of those communications methods humans use beyond speech. It's important stuff.

What will you say when a terminal cancer patient wants to know how much longer she'll live? What will you say when a mother asks you if her son will beat the murder rap? What will you say when you get your first suicidal client? Or one who thinks he's the first wave from Anterias, and when will the rest of the fleet be arriving, and should he be getting started on The Plan? How about the woman who wants to know why her baby died?
It's not all "does he love me" and "will I get the job" Important as those concerns are. It's life decisions and the scratchy hard parts of things. You may think I'm exaggerating, but these are all questions that have come across my table. It ain't easy out there.
And a year is not possibly enough.
Give it time and practice. Take it slow. No need to rush....it will be clear when you really are ready.
For one thing, you'll probably be scared to death and half convinced you can't possibly do it well.
I remember when Grizabella was there, and look how well she turned out! :joke:

AJ

Hello Alex, welcome to AT! You made a smart move in becoming a subscriber.

I just went and looked through your first reading offer thread, I like how you handle the cards.
Like you, it has been really difficult for me to find people to read face to face for. It isn't so much that tarot is looked down on in this region but more as if it doesn't exist at all :)

I like how you use a spread, it gives the querent an idea of where you are coming from, a stepping stone to walk through the reading. You might look through a spreads book, or through our giant spreads forum here and pick out three or four more.

You handled the terrorists are taking over our country query well, that would be very tough in person because neither you nor the querent have a hope in heck of affecting the outcome in any meaningful way.

Maybe we should twist our pinkies together and make a cafe date date and throw ourselves to the wolves :) Have you followed any of Mallah's threads on reading at the big mall where he lives?

edited to add: most of the 'read free in a cafe/park/whatever' posts have indicated that most people will leave a tip, and those that do leave more than the practicing reader would have asked for...