I don't feel like doing tarot at all. WHY?

kamya26

I have people cming for reading But I don't feel like doing tarot card reading. I feel I do not connect with my cards or I lack somewhere or I always have to peep in notes to read.

(Yes I still use my notes which talk about each card, in readings)

What do I Do? Please help? Why is this happening? I started with tarot this year in january!

gregory

Stop reading for a while. That's all you can do. It happens to everyone. You've not been reading very long - you will have it happen again, and again !

And if you are receiving payment for readings and still using the book - I think that's a bit off, myself. Maybe that's why you have trouble - the cards know you shouldn't be doing that ! If you are accepting money, you should be doing it on your own. I would never pay a reader who had to look things up in the book. I could do that for myself ! :)

kamya26

Exactly! Thats my problem. This is the reason why I don;'t feel like reading anymore. No matter what I am just not able to get messages intuitively.

Also to me a card has only 2-3 meanings but when I look into the notes I realise the meanings expand to lot more. And I want that I should know them intuitively.
I am regular at meditating and have been listening to isochronic tones for quite a while to become more intuitive.

Could you please help?

DaughterOfDanu

Perhaps try looking at other techniques, if you use illustrated cards not just unillustrated pips you could try laying the cards down and view them as telling a story instead of just giving meanings you learned.

Intuitive to me, means not even thinking about traditional meanings, just going off your feelings, what sticks out to you either in the artwork, or things that may pop into your mind.

Sulis

Exactly! Thats my problem. This is the reason why I don;'t feel like reading anymore. No matter what I am just not able to get messages intuitively.

Also to me a card has only 2-3 meanings but when I look into the notes I realise the meanings expand to lot more. And I want that I should know them intuitively.
I am regular at meditating and have been listening to isochronic tones for quite a while to become more intuitive.

Could you please help?

Time, experience and practice. There is no quick way to learn to read cards, it's an ongoing thing and most really good readers are good because they have been doing it for years.
I often say this but learning tarot is like learning a language; you can pick up enough to get by on quite a superficial level quite quickly but to become fluent so that you know the cards like you know the language you speak takes time, lots and lots of it.

If you're trying to earn some cash and you're still using the books, you're trying to cram and you're going too fast. Focus on using tarot as a hobby, put the books away whilst you're doing a reading and just read the cards. By all means read as many books as you like when you're not actually doing a reading but stop relying on books whilst readings. I found that my readings got loads better when I stopped second guessing myself by looking things up in books.
Look at the whole spread, look for the patterns, repeating numbers, elements that are missing etc and try to make the cards tell a story.

When you're not actually doing a reading try playing with the cards.. Lay some out and forget about what you think they are supposed to mean, just tell the story you see using the characters on the cards.
Try pulling a card and writing down how it makes you feel. What do the colours say or the characters, how are they interacting with others on the card, does the number mean anything to you? That sort of thing.
Or pull a card at the end of the day and try to relate it to your day. Write down your thoughts and then return to your notes in the future and see if you can get anything else from them. That way you get to see how the cards speak to you, personally.

Most of all, take your time, have fun and enjoy the journey :).

gregory

What Sulis said. 6 months is nothing. There are readers here with 10 years and more under their belts - and they will tell you they are still learning. Play, until the reading comes by itself. Tell stories. Read for people in TV shows - they can't answer back !

Kgirl

What Sulis said. 6 months is nothing. There are readers here with 10 years and more under their belts - and they will tell you they are still learning. Play, until the reading comes by itself. Tell stories. Read for people in TV shows - they can't answer back !

LOL that's awesome I love this! :laugh:

danieljuk

Hi kamya, You could make your professional path of Tarot harder by asking people to pay whilst you look up the bits you forget! What if people say to their friends that you were looking things up? Go slower! Perhaps you are pressurising yourself too much. Keep practising with the cards each day until you become an expert and then charge for readings!

If you offer friends and close loved ones readings for free and ask for feedback, then they won't be offended if you look up some things you can't remember or make mistakes. Or try doing reading exchanges on here.

Take a break from it, try a new deck, maybe there is one that fits you better? slow it down if you are finding it hard. There is no rush!

I am just going from learnt book meanings and looking in sources to trying to get an intuitive message. I am on the very early steps of it. I did a reading for a good friend and one of the cards I knew was about starting or joining a new class or group. However something came into my head then that was "art". almost like screaming at me. There was nothing in the card to show that. I said to her that maybe you will join an art class and she said she was thinking of doing that and enrolling. I felt so pleased that I went with that idea! It's slow development, you can't rush it. Hope it gets easier for you and you get back into it!

Gracie2k

Maybe it's energy right now? Solstice

Alamaris

It isn't a phenomenon relegated to tarot. I'm a self-employed artist, author, jewelry maker, and seamstress, and whether I'm doing those things for money or for personal use, I have days or even months where I'm just not feeling it. I generally only write novels in the fall/winter months because hot weather frustrates my author-brain, for example. Last month I was all about wire-wrapping jewelry; this month is about sewing. We get burned out on things, or tired, or for a million other reasons just don't feel like doing something we normally enjoy. It happens!

At the same time, we can't allow apathy to be an excuse. When I don't feel like doing something for my business, sometimes I just need to sit my butt down and do it anyway, because otherwise I wouldn't make any money. The more I do things, the better I become at them, until it isn't an enormous effort to do them even when I'm not really enthusiastic about the process. In your case, I feel that you're jumping in a little too quickly -- would you sell art before you knew how to paint, or apply for a job as a chef when you weren't an expert cook? Tarot is no different, especially since readers come to us with a certain level of expectation; we're there to ease their fears, or interpret advice, or assist decision-making. Looking at a book or at notes while reading for someone, especially a stranger, lowers the confidence of the sitter. As Gregory said, if I went to a reader who relied on books or notes, I wouldn't be impressed because I could have done that at home for free.

When I was first learning, I was incredibly impatient. I wanted to know it all, NOW. I wanted to have all the meanings in my head so that I could rattle them out upon request like multiplication tables. Many new readers feel that tarot is all about learning the meanings and then you're a master, as if memorization is all you need. Unfortunately, it isn't. Similarly, many new readers assume that intuition is something we all naturally have from the start, something you can turn on and off and influence with crystals or candles, and in my experience intuition is nothing like that -- reading the cards intuitively is hard work, harder than learning meanings, and is much more than just looking at a card and letting the meanings "flow" through you. If I waited for a novel to flow through me from above, I wouldn't have wrote six of the things in the last few years, and logically speaking, Novel #6 is a heck of a lot better than Novel #1. Improvement doesn't happen overnight, and intuition isn't something you can learn from guided CDs. The myth of the Muse is as pernicious in the tarot world as it is in the art world, and implies that if it's hard, you're not doing it right -- when in reality, unless it's challenging, you aren't learning.

In short, practice. Practice, practice, practice. Read for friends and family and stuffed animals and television shows and characters in books, read about the weather and stocks, read even when it's hard. If you want it to be your business, spend time learning before setting yourself up as an expert -- your clients and your future self will thank you. But if you're really not feeling it right now and look at tarot as a chore rather than a hobby, take a break! Hell, I took a two-year break and came back clearer than ever, so there's evidence that sometimes, a break is not only good, but necessary for growth. If you still want to practice reading, try something entirely different to cards, like runes or I Ching or a junk oracle. The more you practice reading anything, the more practice you have at interpreting what lies in front of you, the faster your skills will develop. Anything worth learning is worth the work.