Tarot reading room - Interior design

leopardcana

Hi all,
I am about to make an scene decoration for a short movie,
which deals with tarot reading.

I was searching here but I could not find a thread with the room design decorations or somthing like that, for inspiration since I cannot find any interesting psychic shops, palm reading room.

Although i watched movies that has good ones, but the ones that are in use by real people i could not find.

thanks a lot

Crystalflute

Hi! The first question that came to my mind was " what era/time frame does this movie take place in?"

Tarot reading rooms, like everything else have changed evolved over the years. From the dark side rooms, to the tents at carnivals that were dark and smokey, to the more modern reading rooms that have more open airy feel.

I have done set decoration for stage, so if you let me know what time frame, I may be able to help you get some ideas!

leopardcana

Thanks a lot for your response Crystalflute,

the movie deals with modern era,
but a woman tarot reader is going to read tarot cards to a man who is already dead, appearing in her imagination, who happens to be her husband.

therefore my thoughts were more on a modern way of dark and smokey room
with spiritual decorations, to appear somewhat deeply mysterious,
so that in some way it can explain metaphorically the situation

thanks a lot again

Crystalflute

Modern. ok. here is what I "see" . Its a small room dedicated to readings. there is a window with a light sheer sort or curtain over it (the veil between the worlds). The is a round table (the ongoing circle of life) with a deep violet full length cloth covering it. (violet is to help activate intuition)On the table, aside from the cards, there is a crystal ball, a pendulum and an incense burner ( giving you the smokey thing. The wall are a pale green. a border of moons and stars along the top. There is a book case on one wall. besides a collection of books on spirituality, there are also pieces of quarts crystals, amethysts and the like. The top of the case hold a CD player for relaxing music.

well..thats my take. use what you wish!!!

And GOOD LUCK!!!

tarotbear

I beg you - please do not 'stereotype' this room out! LOL!!!!

I always liked the set-up 'Solitaire' had in 'Live and Let Die', lest the truth be known!

Grizabella

Well, here's a scenario for you----and modern day it certainly is:

I'm a great-grandmother with a dead husband and I do readings one of two places, usually. Either sitting in my recliner chair with the footrest up and my laptop open on my lap.

Or---

I read in my kitchen at a round table that's also our breakfast, lunch, dinner table. In the kitchen there's the usual stuff a kitchen has in it, but also has my great-grandson's high chair nearby and his rubber duckies sitting in the window sill because I bathe him in the kitchen sink.

Nothing stereotypical about that, is there? :p But I think it's probably pretty typical of most modern-day readers. We just read wherever we are and wearing what we normally wear except for Halloween or some other special occasion.

Mulya

Most of the time I do readings in my bedroom. I have a round card playing table where I have cards. My laptop is on my bed and I am sitting next to it. Another place is a kitchen counter/table top. I don't use candles, don't pray before reading, but I close my bedroom door and ask don't talk, while I am shuffling cards.

tarotbear

When I had a reading room, it was nothing fancy. It had a round table with two chairs, a CD player with speakers on each side of the room, a bookcase with my Tarot books and decks, and a few things on one wall. In one corner I had a low dresser that I had turned into an altar, and on the wall over it was a large 3' x 4' mirror. I also had a small cabinet with my magickal stuff in it. O.K. ~ I did have curtains of dark navy with astrological stuff on them ... but that was my 'Reading & Magickal Room.'

Morwenna

I read on the bed. But that doesn't mean I don't lust after some of the reading spaces referenced in that post above with the links! :) For the record, our bed is covered with a blue-based darkish paisley quilted bedspread, which is getting horribly faded with the years but try as I might I cannot replace in kind, so it stays. Accompaniments are two dozing cats, whom I fervently try not to wake lest they come marching through the spread.

When I was reading at renfairs, it was under a canvas roof with other readers, and I used a card table covered with a lavender-striped madras bedspread for a cloth, and sometimes a scarf or shawl on top of that. And a few small decorative objects, very few (being outdoors, they sometimes doubled as paperweights).