The High Priestess, The Star, and The Moon (fantasy)

JonathonWilder

I have in a fantasy setting a seer that drew these three cards as part of a reading for another and I would like others thoughts on possible meanings of these three cards together and in the order shown.
For a bit of backgroud the seer is blind, so she had the reader draw the cards and try to work out the meaning of the cards yet the reader did not know what the cards mean.

On the reader she actually has a connection with the stars, can communicate with them. This being a trait she was born with, and she has been speading quite some time trying to figure out her destiny and why she can speak with and understand the stars (though they do make it hard for her to do so).

Grizabella

I'm sort of confused. Let me see if I have it right. You've a fantasy story situation in which there's a blind seer and a person who has come to her/him with a question. The seer uses Tarot cards and has drawn the High Priestess, The Star, and The Moon but doesn't know what they mean.

No---on reading it again, it's a blind seer who has come to a Tarot reader. The seer's question pertains to why he/she can speak to the stars? And the cards the reader drew are the High Priestess, The Star, and The Moon. However, the reader can't decipher the meaning of the cards. Is that right?

And you want us to tell you what those three cards would mean together? Is that what you're asking?

NorthernTigress

Actually, I think the question is more in the first category. The Seer is using Tarot cards to answer a question from someone. But because the Seer can't... err... see, she is asking the person to, essentially, read their own cards. And it is the "reader" (who is actually the querent) who doesn't know what the cards mean.

So, here we go

High Priestess. Keeper of Secrets. Seeker of Knowledge. Skilled in the art of intuition. This represents the fact that the "reader" is striving to learn more about her Special Talents. It may even be a validation that these Talents exist. A reassurance that it's not "all in her head".

The Star. Hope. Possibilities. Renewal. The woman in the Star card empties her two water jugs, one into the water, one onto the land. This represents the idea of giving what you have to achieve a hoped-for goal. But it can also represent emptying oneself of old ideas (like stale water) in order to be filled up with something new. Like the High Priestess' teachings. This, of course, is in addition to the special, personal message that the image of a Star would be to the "reader" when she sees it.

The Moon. Mystery. Illusion. The World of Dreams and Fantasies. Inspiration and Intuition. Going beyond logic. This card can represent what might happen to her once she learns to better understand (better control?) her Talents. Listening to the Stars? Speaking with them? It may all seem like an impossible dream. It will be up to her to decide what's real and what is fantasy. And also to decide what messages from the Stars will be of benefit to her, and what may lead her astray.

That's my Vision of it, based on your description. But in the end, it's up to you to decide.

JonathonWilder

I'm sort of confused. Let me see if I have it right. You've a fantasy story situation in which there's a blind seer and a person who has come to her/him with a question. The seer uses Tarot cards and has drawn the High Priestess, The Star, and The Moon but doesn't know what they mean.

No---on reading it again, it's a blind seer who has come to a Tarot reader. The seer's question pertains to why he/she can speak to the stars? And the cards the reader drew are the High Priestess, The Star, and The Moon. However, the reader can't decipher the meaning of the cards. Is that right?

And you want us to tell you what those three cards would mean together? Is that what you're asking?

Seems I did not explain this very well...
The situation is this, a woman goes to the blind seer... or more she was guided to this seer. The seer uses Tarot cards to tell a persons fortune, but partly because she seems to feel that the seeker of the fortune should discover their own fortune and partly because of her blindness the seer has the seeker draw the cards... try to figure out what they mean.
I want to know what the three cards mean together

Again I apoligize, it is a fairly complex situation

JonathonWilder

Actually, I think the question is more in the first category. The Seer is using Tarot cards to answer a question from someone. But because the Seer can't... err... see, she is asking the person to, essentially, read their own cards. And it is the "reader" (who is actually the querent) who doesn't know what the cards mean.

So, here we go

High Priestess. Keeper of Secrets. Seeker of Knowledge. Skilled in the art of intuition. This represents the fact that the "reader" is striving to learn more about her Special Talents. It may even be a validation that these Talents exist. A reassurance that it's not "all in her head".

The Star. Hope. Possibilities. Renewal. The woman in the Star card empties her two water jugs, one into the water, one onto the land. This represents the idea of giving what you have to achieve a hoped-for goal. But it can also represent emptying oneself of old ideas (like stale water) in order to be filled up with something new. Like the High Priestess' teachings. This, of course, is in addition to the special, personal message that the image of a Star would be to the "reader" when she sees it.

The Moon. Mystery. Illusion. The World of Dreams and Fantasies. Inspiration and Intuition. Going beyond logic. This card can represent what might happen to her once she learns to better understand (better control?) her Talents. Listening to the Stars? Speaking with them? It may all seem like an impossible dream. It will be up to her to decide what's real and what is fantasy. And also to decide what messages from the Stars will be of benefit to her, and what may lead her astray.

That's my Vision of it, based on your description. But in the end, it's up to you to decide.

Thank you, that is exactly the sort of thing I am looking for :)

NorthernTigress

You're welcome.

I'm curious, if you the author aren't very knowledgable about Tarot yet, how did you choose these 3 extremely appropriate cards? Your instincts are very good.

JonathonWilder

Well to be honest it is a Roleplaying setting, but I did choose the cards.

To answer your question I actually have a book that gives me the 'individual' meaning of each card and because of my understanding of my character I have an idea on what cards are important.
You see this is what makes the situation 'interesting', the one going to the seer... she can see the future herself because of her connection to the stars just not her own future. Much to her annoyance the stars refuse to tell her what her life holds and sent her off to find another seer to do so. She was guided by the stars to this blind seer.

SunChariot

Seems I did not explain this very well...
The situation is this, a woman goes to the blind seer... or more she was guided to this seer. The seer uses Tarot cards to tell a persons fortune, but partly because she seems to feel that the seeker of the fortune should discover their own fortune and partly because of her blindness the seer has the seeker draw the cards... try to figure out what they mean.
I want to know what the three cards mean together

Again I apoligize, it is a fairly complex situation

They would probably mean very different things to each seeker, according to their personality, way of thinking and even their mood at the moment. Espeically if the seeker is not a reader but even if they were. If a number of seekers were presented wth this situtation I don't think you could get two identical answers.

If you believe that each seeker must discover their own fortune, that also presupposes to me that each woudl see something different and that is why they are asked to findi iet themselves.

But, all that being said, here is mine... what those cards might mean to me. The HP for me is the card saying that I already know the answer inside me. That the answer is exactly what I think it is and that my feelings on the matter are accurate and I am seeing it clleary.

The Star is the card about hope and faith, about having them.

And The Moon, for me, is the card that talks about romance. That is the only meaning that I personally have for it.

So to try and put that together....It would likely be an answer talking about my romantic life....given the last card.

So let's say it woudl likely be saying to me that when it comes to my romantic life I am seeing things very clearly. They are just what I sense that they are. What I am sensing in that area of my life is accurate. Also that I should have hope and faith in what we share and in what will come in the future. And that yes something romantic is coming.

THis acutally makes a lot of sense to me as a message where I am in my liife, and woudl be a good message for me. Even though it was not aimed at me. It makes sense to where I currently am. :grin:

Babs

SunChariot

. But it can also represent emptying oneself of old ideas (like stale water) in order to be filled up with something new. .
Thanks for this part. I really liked that and am going to hold onto it.

Babs

JonathonWilder

So to try and put that together....It would likely be an answer talking about my romantic life....given the last card.

Actually that would fit to an extent into my character's life as well as she has a falled romance she has not gotten over.

The one in question had treated her so well, respectful, generious, and always nice... yet she found out that he was selling out his services of finding things out about others to shady groups and individuals. She found he had a double life of sorts and when she couldn't talk him out of leaving it behind him she left.