Querents who can't/won't shuffle

Middy1452

OK, this may be more to do with my reading technique but the last few readings I've done I've had querents who say they can't shuffle and so in between readings I've had to rigorously shuffle myself. They may and probably are (based on feedback) getting an accurate reading but I still feel they're not getting the best. Now, I refer at the top of this post to it possibly being my reading style. See, before we start handling the cards I talk about what they want from the reading, whether it's a question or general reading etc.

Your experience please - hand the cards to the Querent as soon as they sit down and get them shuffling? Do tell your 'routines' please.

Grizabella

If the sitter doesn't want to shuffle, then I do it and just let them cut the deck and choose their cards from a fan.

Carla

I only ask querents to cut the deck into two stacks, anywhere in the stack they choose. I do all the shuffling myself. I then restack the deck and lay out the cards.

I don't want them touching the cards. The way I work, I feel I am connected to the querent (by being open to their energies) and the cards are connected to me. The cards will communicate with me, not them. *shrug* Everybody's got a different feeling about it, though.

VGimlet

If they don't like to shuffle, I shuffle, and tell them to let me know when they think the cards are well mixed. :D

I always use an easily replaceable deck for clients.

Barleywine

This is a curious phenomenon I've never encountered. Most people are fascinated by the cards and want to examine them. Did any of them share their reasons for avoiding the shuffle, like maybe they're afraid of or intimidated by handling the deck? To me, in a reading scenario the cards are simply a conduit, a tool, not some kind of mystical entity that is vulnerable to contamination. The exchange of energies is interpersonal, the cards are primarily a suggestive spur to stimulate the imaginations of the querent and the reader. Certainly having the querent simply cut the deck or draw cards from a fan is an acceptable alternative, but the perceived need for this work-around is puzzling. The only downside I can see to having the querent handle the deck, especially if you're "on the clock," is that they might be so curious about the cards that they want a guided tour of each one :).

Crystalflute

I've had cases where clients - for physical reason - could not shuffle. (Arthritis, a stroke and am amputee)

I started by asking them to hold or rest a hand on the deck until they feel they had imparted their energies. I then let them know that I would shuffle for them, and when they felt I had shuffled to let me know.

My readings were highly accurate, and the clients left happy!

Zezina

It's fine for you to do the shuffling in the presence of the client, maybe while they tell you what they want to ask the cards.

Then place the shuffled deck face-down and ask them to cut the deck towards you. You pick the deck up and you deal the cards.

poopsie

whenever i would seek a reader to read for me, i notice that they would shuffle the cards. the only time i held the cards as a querent was when i was asked to choose which cards to draw out. when iow do readings for others, i do the shuffling myself. i follow the same technique - i ask the querent to choose so many cards depending on the spreads i use.

Rev_Vesta

Hi..
I prefer for me to shuffle the cards and general will only get the clients to choose the cards for the spread once I have fanned them infront of them....

I only let the client shuffle the cards if I feel it is appropriate for the client on a spiritual level but that is very rare.....

Mainly I prefer if the client does not shuffle the deck but I do....

Remembering this is what works for me considering I read all day everyday....

Grizabella

This is a curious phenomenon I've never encountered. Most people are fascinated by the cards and want to examine them. Did any of them share their reasons for avoiding the shuffle, like maybe they're afraid of or intimidated by handling the deck? To me, in a reading scenario the cards are simply a conduit, a tool, not some kind of mystical entity that is vulnerable to contamination. The exchange of energies is interpersonal, the cards are primarily a suggestive spur to stimulate the imaginations of the querent and the reader. Certainly having the querent simply cut the deck or draw cards from a fan is an acceptable alternative, but the perceived need for this work-around is puzzling. The only downside I can see to having the querent handle the deck, especially if you're "on the clock," is that they might be so curious about the cards that they want a guided tour of each one :).

Some people just don't want to shuffle the cards. I've never really asked why. Maybe they don't know how and would be embarrassed to try for fear they'd fumble or damage the cards. Not everyone knows how to shuffle cards and even if they do, the dimensions of a lot of Tarot decks are different than a regular deck of cards. That might have something to do with it.

I haven't felt like pressing the issue by asking why or trying to get them to try it even though they don't want to. It just puts people on the spot who might already be somewhat apprehensive about having a Tarot reading in the first place and it's not vitally important to me that they shuffle their own cards, anyway.