Tarot bag cording

marimorimo

I have just received an uncorded bag from the Baba Sale and would like to add the cord myself. What's the name of the cord they use so I can try sourcing it? It's a moderately thick and smooth cord that works beautifully on drawstring bags. I remember it's the same type used on the organza bag that came with the Mystic Faerie tarot kit.

Hope some of the more crafty people could help me.

(As an aside, anyone else have other suggestions for cording material?) Thank you :)

Debra

Good heavens, there's all kinds of wonderful cords and ribbons in Japan!

marimorimo

Maybe there are, but I really don't know where to look :D And everything is soooo expensive here; I want to be sure of what I buy.

Sulis

I'm not sure what type of cord they use in there bags but there are loads and loads of different cords around.
My advice is to go to a haberdashery counter or shop and have a look at what's available. And cord shouldn't be too expensive.

Starshower

Me too! lol. I received a wonderful set of 5 beautiful tarot bags of varying sizes (1 is HUGE!) from the Baba Prague sale & am delighted with them ... but also need to find some nice cord & beads for my small, red Bohemian Cats' tarot reader one. I'll try to find an old-fashioned haberdashery stall ...

marimorimo

@Sulis: Thank you for the advice, and thank you for pointing out what kind of store I need to go to: a haberdashery! I didn't know what to call it in English, so I had no hope of finding out how to say (and thus find) it in Japanese. I've found a suitable chain of shops on the net that I plan to visit soon :)

@Starshower: Hey I think we received almost the same set of 5 bags :party: I too have the red uncorded Bohemian Cats tarot reader and and a huge Alice in Wonderland bag. It's too big for tarot cards but it's just perfect for the Tea Leaf Fortune Cards (200 cards in the deck) :D

The other designs are the sitting elf boy, Bohemian Cats 2 of Wands, and a pretty painting of a woman and a dove....

tarotbear

The satiny cord used to be called 'rat tail'; don't know if it still is. I would say just walk into a fabric store and take a look! There are flat braids like satouche, round cords, edgings, pipings, all sorts of things that can be used to cord a bag! Just remember - the easiest bags to open and close have two cords. If you find something you really like, be sure to dab some clear nail polish or anti-fray liquid on the ends so the cords don't fray.

Starshower

Hey, yes, marimorimo! I got the very same ones: elf boy, B Cats 2 of wands, lady with dove, tarot-reader cat & huge Alice king & queen of hearts with white rabbit etc. Beautifully made with lovely rich silks with gorgeous colours & silk linings. Total bargain. :)

Thanks for the tips, tarotbear.
I'll be off to seek out cording & beads as soon as the torrential rain & thunder stop.

marimorimo

@Tarotbear: Thanks so much for the tips! Starshower and I will be putting them to good use when we cord our bags.

@Starshower: Whoa, I thought Baba Studios would send out a larger variety (as I thought they were basically disposing of odds and ends) but it seems there's a lot of overstock and hence overlap in the kinds of bags sent. Not complaining though, as the bags are wonderful-- my first proper tarot bags and I'm already spoiled! }) Btw, I made a mistake-- It's the Boho Cats 2 of Swords, not Wands. My bad XD

Winterchild

Rats Tail Cord

Yes I believe it still is known as Rats Tail cord..... any sewing store should have it it msany colours!