Symbol ID please

gregory

I THINK this is better posted here than under decks but mods please move if not....

The Page of Cups in Crow's Magick has a symbol on it - bottom right - that I am SURE I recognise and cannot identify. I've run it through google image search - which turns up MILLIONS of images of people playing hangman :mad: and looked through several sites full of symbols - and a friend here went through the Goetia for me last night - nada. Can anyone tell me what it is so I can hit my head on the desk and say DUH a lot ???

Or say that you know for sure Londa Marks made it up ?

See attached.

Thanks.

Attachments

• what is it.jpg
    what is it.jpg
    9.7 KB · Views: 122

rwcarter

If no one has figured it out by the time I get home (5-6 hours), I have a symbol dictionary that shows actual symbols like the one you've shown. It might be in there.

gregory

I even almost emailed you last night ! Thanks :)

I am now only curious - yesterday I was FRANTIC ! :D

MandMaud

It looks astrological, as if it was Sol above a confused Neptune or a bent Venus... it's not in any symbol key I have but perhaps there are more obscure symbols than Llewellyn's pocket planner contains. I don't know correspondences, what it the Page of Cups? Come to that I don't know many symbols either...

mm

ps I found a pic of the whole card here: http://www.learntarot.com/cwdesc.htm at the bottom of the page. I needed to have a look at it in context. Weird deck :) I like it!

Alta

I am starting to wonder if it is a combined symbol. It is the suit of Cups/Water, and the bottom part could be an inverted trident for Neptune. A circle with a dot in the middle is the astrological symbol for the sun. Which is odd, if the Page of Cups is Water of Earth, then it should be a circle with a cross in the centre, representing earth. Okay, not helping, right?

:) oops, I see I posted very much as MM did just above.

ETA: :laugh: 'geometric spirits' ???? whatever they are. hahaha.... try Googling that. I'll bet that is what you referred to as an 'organization chart' on the Page of Cups.

Richard

Compare with John Dee's Monos Hieroglyphica.

Attachments

• mh.jpg
    mh.jpg
    4.2 KB · Views: 81

Ze Monsta's Haus

I can't say anything for sure but I got nothing via google image search and tineye, even after I reversed the contrast so it was a black symbol on a white background. When I saw it, like others here, I immediately thought of a combination of Neptune's trident and the sun. If it helps at all, my book "The Illustrated Book of Tarot" lists the cups/water as corresponding to Cancer, Scorpio, and Pisces (the symbols for which can be found on the bottom left of the card). Perhaps she's combining those signs' planetary symbols? They are Cancer-Moon, Scorpio--Mars/Pluto, Pisces--Jupiter/Neptune.

Mythic Silence

You and I went to the same place, Fire Cat. :)

I spotted this similar symbol as well for Mars: http://www.symbols.com/encyclopedia/42/4223.html

I'm still browsing around. There are quite a few symbols that are very close, but none that exactly match it. My google image search only yielded one similar symbol on a product listed as "Shaman Stones," which seemed to be a dead end. Here is a link to the product page for anyone who might be curious.

http://ravenmoonlight.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=1480

The lower left hand stone's symbol looked pretty close to me.

gregory

Fascinating - thanks all. I feel a little less STUPID ! I have the BOOK for the deck - but in the UK, so if it says what it is in there, I shall be able to look next week...

I did go through a MASSIVE site full of alchemical symbols - but that's a good point; I will try Adam McLean...