Using a Tip Jar... Pros? Cons? Advice?

Rhoswen

Tomorrow night I'll be reading at a small annual fund-raiser. Last night it was announced that, for the first time, readers may put tip jars on their tables.

A tip jar! So many things to think about...

Am I even comfortable putting one out? good question

What might I find in my home that would work, with little or no added bling?

I'm not good with crafty stuff. I also don't want to run around town spending money to make money.

Should I put a little sign on/in front of the jar? Should it say simply "Tips," or should I add something like "Totally voluntary"? Most folks patronize this fund-raiser because the short readings are at a bargain price; I don't want sitters to feel that they're obligated to spend additional $$$.

Does anyone have experience with this? I welcome your comments and input.

Chronata

I use tip jars all the time...at some events that is all I have!

Depending on the event, the tip jar changes.

Sometimes it's a small gold fish type bowl with "Tips" painted on with a paint marker.

Sometimes I use my blingy fancy mirrored tissue box cover (it looks Victorian and has a hole on top for stuffing in money)

But the problem with that is no one can see what's inside.

And people like to see how much is acceptable to tip...

so I usually use a clear jar with a very visible one dollar bill and a five.

My favorite tip jar is actually a large oversized wine glass, which is beautifully decorated.

The sign I use most often is "Gratuities are Gratefully Accepted"

tarotbear

Go with what Chronata says - just do not put any 'loose change' in the jar, which will make people think about dimes and quarters instead of Ones and Fives.

Also - if you do start racking it in - periodically empty the tip jar so you don't tempt thieves. People should see 'some' money ... also, if people see 'too much' money, they might be less likely to tip well.

Yineth

I've seen tip jars in places like Chipotle and other fast food joints (which I feel is really unnecessary for what they are) so I don't see why not :p

Have fun at the fund-raiser!

Zezina

When friends ask me to read their Tarot cards, before I begin the reading I ask them for a gold coin, because I was taught that you should never give this skill for free. A 'gold' coin is either $1 or $2.

I took a small tin, and hammered a hole in the top, painted the tin gold and pasted part of 'The Fool' image on top.

I have it on my Tarot table, and indicate it to querents before I begin the reading. Photo below:

Attachments

• Zezina's gold coin tin.jpg
    Zezina's gold coin tin.jpg
    227.5 KB · Views: 205

Rhoswen

@Chronata—This is wonderful info. I’m off to PetSmart and CostPlus (or whatever it’s called these days).

@tarotbear—Re: coinage… yes, last night we were laughing about our memories of preachers suggesting “silent” collections. Good points about security and psychology. Duly noted.

@Yineth—I agree totally about Chipotle, etc. Thank you for the thumbs-up!

Thank you all for the nitty-gritty and the encouragement. This is just what I was hoping to learn!

Rhoswen

@Zezina—Your tin is lovely! Thank you for taking the time and effort to share the pic. This is photo evidence that you DO have more craft ability than I! :-D But it gives me ideas for some things I might be able to do in the future.

Grizabella

I always use a tip jar. That's even what I'm using online----being paid by donation. It's working quite well so far.

Canid made me a beautiful tip jar but right now it's still in storage somewhere, unfortunately. She painted "Grizabella's Tip Jar" on the side in pretty paint and has a dancing Gypsy figure on it. It's clear glass so people can see there are bills inside.

You've gotten great ideas so far from other members but I just wanted to let you know it works well for me, too. I'm sure it's not going to make me rich but it works just fine.

Chiriku

Tip jars and I are old friends from back in the days when my major reading outlet was at charity/not-for-profit events. Chronata and tarotbear already hit it on the nose. Listen to what they said. The psychology of punters is a fascinating one.

But Zezina taught me something new. So that's how one gracefully encourages friends or acquaintances to acknowledge the value of the reading they want from you. I escaped this problem for most of my tarot life because for years, I never read for people I knew, only strangers.

But in the past couple of years as I've begun reading at parties of acquaintances and encountered groups of people who dabble at reading, themselves, I've come into contact with more people who want--and expect, and ask for--free readings from me, by virtue of the fact that I'm a "friend of a friend." I don't much care for their presumptions. There should at least be an offer of something---a meal, a drink, whatever; it's the offer that counts most to me, because it indicates they are aware that what they are receiving is something of value.

The tip tin looks very good. And because you're dealing with an individual and not the public at large like the OP is, it wouldn't need to be see-through. They'll know you'll know who put what amount in and when, and perhaps that will guide them accordingly.

Rhoswen

@Grizabella—Thank you so much for adding your input! You are a most inspiring model. I appreciate your taking the time to offer details and encouragement.

There should at least be an offer of something---a meal, a drink, whatever; it's the offer that counts most to me, because it indicates they are aware that what they are receiving is something of value.

@Chiriku—You are SO right. I’ve been asked by several friends to do readings, and have obliged. I find that, in the long term, I kinda resent the one person who offered nothing—not even a drink of water during the reading (at her home), and absolutely nothing in terms of payment. Now, I hadn’t set any parameters regarding payment, and was, yes, flattered to be asked, but I’m finding that, over time, this nothing-in-return rankles. Especially because everyone else who’s asked for a reading has offered something in return. Some have been most generous with cash donations.

So I take your words to heart. Thank you.

To everyone: Having visited PetSmart and WorldMarket (aka Cost Plus), I’ve purchased nothing. Instead, tonight’s plan is to use an adorable small glass juice pitcher that I received eons ago as a wedding shower gift. (So long ago that the glaciers had just receded…. :-D.) I hope to put a grand bow (tulle? velveteen?—early hours at the fabric shop tomorrow) on the handle. Then I'll label the pitcher, probably with text pasted onto a blank index card that's propped against it.