Bells for clearing the energy?

seaglass

Hey everybody,

I hope this is the right forum for this question. I was first exposed to tarot cards through a friend with whom I've lost touch. She had these two flat bells connected to a string (it looked Tibetan or Asian, I would say). Before she did my reading, she had me place my hands over the deck and she struck the two bells together and then whirled them over my hands.

Basically - my question is - does anyone know what kind of bells I'm talking about? Where does one find such things? A link to an online seller who ships to the US would be great.

Grizabella

It sounds to me like they were what I've heard called ting-sha bells. Not sure of the spelling on that. Did they look like two little dishes or cymbals, sort of, connected by a little string? You can find them in places that sell Asian things like singing bowls and prayer flags and things like that.

Gia

Using sound to clear energy is wonderful! I use a Tibetan singing bowl to clear between clients when I am unable to use sage. Any bells, cymbals, bowls (metal or crystal) will do the job!

celticnoodle

interesting! I've never heard of this practice, but I think it sounds like a good idea. I don't like burning sage myself, and don't necessarily use any method save shuffling the cards between clients myself, but maybe I'll consider this method. I like it!

starrystarrynight

When my mom was in hospice last year just before her passing, it was the ritual on the floor to ring these Tibetan cymbals when a patient moved on so that all who could hear them could say a silent prayer or take a moment to reflect. I believe it is a Buddhist practice, and I thought it was a beautiful thing that they did--a symbolic way to bring the two worlds together (which is sort of what we do when we read tarot cards sometimes.)

These bells of which you speak sound much like those cymbals.

celticnoodle

oh starry, that is a beautiful practice.

eta: I know my father comes often and will make our chimes chime. Now, most of the times, windows are open, ect. and so people will say, "well, a breeze must have come by to make them chime.

However, even when we have the house shut up tightly, (winter/storms/nighttime), the chimes will ring. It always makes me think of daddy, as I wonder and do believe that it must be him coming to check on us again. :)

Cerulean

I have heard/seen Tibetian cymbals used in Western contexts

and I liked the idea.

A poetry teacher used it to call in wandering students; people used them in festivals to call people's attention to a space; and I saw it also used in a class after a meditative quiet to awaken us.

So yes, the ring of the small cymbals can ring in a lovely way for ecumenical and other contexts. The sound hangs a little in the air and you can almost feel the sound following the way someone holds the cymbals and puts them down.

Hope it works for you! They are lovely.

Cerulean

velvetina

when I used to read professionally, I used mine between each client, to 'clear the air'...I still use them at home now - the sound is wonderful!

seaglass

Yes! Tinsha! Lovely things. I'd love to get a set.

Thanks so much for your help everybody.