I'm gonna go to hell for sure. It's official now.

Grizabella

Today when I went to the bank to open an account for linking to Paypal, the young man signing me up asked me what kind of things I do online that I wanted to use Paypal with and it took me by surprise. I just chuckled and said, "I read Tarot cards." He thought that was COOL!!! Darn it---I forgot to take my business cards in with me, too, or I'd have left a couple with him. :D :thumbsup:

I have to tell you honestly, though, that in the split second between him asking and me answering, there was a huge battle that went on in my mind what to answer. I've never been a good liar, though, so I just went for it. Now I'm glad I did. I wasn't even shaking and nervous about it, either. I stayed calm and mellow through the whole thing and as I said, I was even able to chuckle when I told him.

People who have seen my posts around here for the past several years know what a big coward I've been about people in my real life knowing I use Tarot. I wasn't just in the closet about it--I had sealed myself up in there with brick and mortar!

I just thought I'd share so that maybe it will be encouragement to others who have the same kind of fears about people knowing they use Tarot. There's always that mistaken idea floating around that Tarot is evil when it isn't. So let me be the example for you. You won't get tarred and feathered or burned at the stake---it's okay to let people know. :)

HOLMES

somestimes it is hard to humble.

I remember this one time I saw the way this dude looked at me and started to try to tease me about the tarot,,
and I stood there and counter attack with my words and stood my ground.

as i left my friend asked "why didnt' you just back away and leave him alone " i said to her,, he knows what I do,, he wants to put down my beliefs, and i wasnt' going to let him.
also as a younger person about 19/20, I was thinking I am a ojibwe warrior type of mentality.

so sometimes when you do share your truth,, it might for some reason like, having a bad day, a human experience like things just weighing you down,, the person who is out to push the tarot reader buttons like the guy said before he punched the reindeer in jingle all the way (when the reindeer charged him)
"YOU PICKED THE WRONG DAY".

nisaba

I wasn't just in the closet about it--I had sealed myself up in there with brick and mortar!

You won't get tarred and feathered or burned at the stake---it's okay to let people know. :)

Congratulations!

angelika

Thanks for sharing this. I am relatively new to Tarot compared to many on this site and am keeping it quiet from most people in my life at the moment. And it is a shame. Even the ones who know I can't say very much to. I suppose that is why I enjoy sharing things here because I know there won't be any funny looks or ridicule. But I am probably being over sensitive. Good for you.

inanna_tarot

Well done Grizzi!!

Plus, it highlights how much more self-confidence you have developed in that time. Awesome stuff

:D

SagiChar

Good for you!! I'm kind of the same way...I'm still pretty much "in the closet" myself...way to "come out" Grizabella!!! (and I don't think you are going to hell....)!!!

A question for you though...I've seen a lot of tarot websites that do not accept Paypal as a payment option...and then, after much scouring, I've finally seen some that DO accept Paypal...I was almost thinking that Paypal would turn down us tarot type people...guess that's not true?

PulchraElectri

I was hesitant about telling people too. Mainly because of the things I have heard people say about tarot. I live in the bible belt and there is definatly some people around here who view reading the tarot as witchcraft and devil worship. I am also wiccan so I find this to be a big road block for me admitting what I do in my personal life. I have told a few people and I get a lot of ridicule for my beliefs. I don't really know how to handle it. I have come across people who think its cool but they are few and far between. I've also been trying to date, to find someone to settle down with. I have been honest with every guy I have gone out with about my beliefs and the fact that I read tarot. Simply because I don't want to really fall for a guy just to have him leave me later down the road because of my beliefs and practices. I'm glad that you have had the guts to come out and say what you do in public. Maybe I will get there some day lol

Grizabella

Good for you!! I'm kind of the same way...I'm still pretty much "in the closet" myself...way to "come out" Grizabella!!! (and I don't think you are going to hell....)!!!

A question for you though...I've seen a lot of tarot websites that do not accept Paypal as a payment option...and then, after much scouring, I've finally seen some that DO accept Paypal...I was almost thinking that Paypal would turn down us tarot type people...guess that's not true?

Well, they didn't even ask what I do. I don't think Paypal cares what people are selling as long as they get their cut of the money. I didn't know there were Tarot sites that don't take Paypal. I'm just using it because it's convenient and quick.

One reason I could openly say what I do and not get any flak from the young man at the bank was partly because I'm old, I think. I don't look old from where I sit looking out, but to those looking in, I guess it gains respect because of my age for some young people. :p

The way I see it, I feel like I have as much right to do what I do as anyone else does to do what they do. I don't try to convert people to my Tarot practices and they don't need to try to convert me, either.

There's something about having moved to this house----I feel sure of it. I wish I knew more of its history. Maybe I can find out what it is. Not only do I just feel like I belong here and that it's always been mine but since I've been here, my fear of letting people know openly that I use the cards is gone, too. Is that possible?

ETA: I just came back to add that there are more kind and loving people here at AT and among real world Tarot people I've met than in any other place I've been associated with in my life. That has to speak volumes, if you ask me, about whether or not Tarot is evil. It's certainly not!

PAMUYA

You mean I won't get tared and feathered? Love your posts!! Maybe I should get a pay pal account.

PS I always have an old crumpled business card at the bottom of my handbag..it makes them look more mystic....LOL

vee

I've just moved to the South and I'm kind of afraid to talk about Tarot in public, but also kind of excited. I've always had positive responses like that. Perverse, but I kind of want someone to tell me I'm going to hell. :laugh: It sounds hilarious.