Well, it's official. I have too many decks.

Asbestos Mango

I know I don't have the biggest collection here on AT, there a couple of people here who would probably be killed if their collections fell on them but...

when I realized that I was in fact accumulating a collection, I started to worry that I was acquiring too many decks. Then I decided that I would know I had too many decks when I couldn't identify them all by the bandanna each was wrapped in.

Last night it happened. I was looking over my collection and I actually had to unwrap a couple of bandannas to see what was inside.

And I still want more...

PAMUYA

I know I don't have the biggest collection here on AT, there a couple of people here who would probably be killed if their collections fell on them but...

when I realized that I was in fact accumulating a collection, I started to worry that I was acquiring too many decks. Then I decided that I would know I had too many decks when I couldn't identify them all by the bandanna each was wrapped in.

Last night it happened. I was looking over my collection and I actually had to unwrap a couple of bandannas to see what was inside.

And I still want more...

The Devil has got you obessed, you have an attachment to the cards. ;) Do you "read" with them? or just like to own them? I only own a couple of decks and have no desire to collection them, I only like to keep decks that I actually read from.

How many do you have??

BTW: I actually don't see anything wrong with collecting beautiful things... ;)

Asbestos Mango

I actually do read with them, all of them in their turns. I won't keep a deck that I wouldn't read with.

I actually have twenty-five decks now, including my Tiny Universal Waite and the Pocket RWS that lives in my purse.

PAMUYA

I keep a standard size deck in my handbag, maybe I could get a mini-sized deck? I would have to see if I can read them without my reading glasses... I will look to see where I can get one...Thank you! :heart:

Winterchild

Reading

I have to be able to read with all mine too... and like them... relate to them..otherwise I cant have them.... I have three here right now which I wanted and have been trying to gel with..but zilch.... a few more days and they are up for sale or trade!

Wendywu

I started out just getting decks I would read with. The trouble started when I found that when they arrived, not all of them were as appealing as they were on-line. (There are no IRL tarot shops near me). Some I put up for trade or sale but I kept a lot too. Eventually I ended up with nearly 200 decks most of which were RWS. Then I fell in love with TdM decks.

Finally I decided to do something about it because I didn't ever want to be a collector. I have no problem with collecting but it just isn't what I wanted to do at all. I've been gradually selling off the decks I know I won't read with. I'm down to about 40 decks that I am keeping, and one rather large basket of decks/sets for sale or trade. I'm pretty pleased about that! I know that the the basketful will go when I really decide to make an effort but in the meantime 40 decks I actually read with suits me fine :)

Disa

It's hard to tell how many is too many. It's definitely a personal choice.

I was never in it for the collecting aspect. Part of me feels like I got each and every deck for "a reason" which may be determined later(I've given many decks away to people who seemed to resonate with them). Part of me feels like it was just buying for the sake of buying while I was trying to figure out what I liked. I buy such a small amount of decks these days- maybe 2 or 3 per year.

I have contemplated selling all of the ones I don't really use and probably never will. I'm just not sure of how to go about it yet. I like the boxing them up and selling them as a package idea because it seems so much easier than doing it individually- but then, everyone may not want everything in the lot..

It's so hard to part with them, though.

Moonbow

....... Then I fell in love with TdM decks.

Finally I decided to do something about it because I didn't ever want to be a collector. I have no problem with collecting but it just isn't what I wanted to do at all. I've been gradually selling off the decks I know I won't read with. I'm down to about 40 decks that I am keeping, and one rather large basket of decks/sets for sale or trade. I'm pretty pleased about that! I know that the the basketful will go when I really decide to make an effort but in the meantime 40 decks I actually read with suits me fine :)

I'm pretty much doing the reverse of you, and I am selling my historical ones for lighter decks. Particularly in the Celtic/Arthurian style. Don't worry I still use the Marseilles more than any others but after having a year off Tarot I've now come back with a different agenda. :D For the moment historical study is put on the back-burner and I'm taking up an interest I've always had in pre-Christian and British mythical decks. We should trade... :D

greatdane

It's only too many if....

YOU feel it is too many. Like several others who posted, I'm not a collector and like to just have decks I read with, but I see nothing wrong with wanting the decks to just have them. People collect all kinds of things, it doesn't mean they use them. For some of us, less is more and for some more is more :). When I have a deck that is sitting too long, even if I like it, I tend to move it along. But I freely admit I would love to see some of the big collections AT peeps have! Would be like going to a tarot museum.

Amanda

I just realized I have 21 decks. I feel like that is too many, but some of them were gifts and I do try to use them all so I probably won't get rid of them. When I came to AT I know I had less than 5... probably only 2 or 3 that I can remember.