Dressing differently to read

SunChariot

Here is a question I am curious about since i do not personally do this but I know others do. When you read for others in person (which I also do not do) do you dress differently to do readings, how, and why do you do so? I have always been curious. Especially the why part why people do that, eg the gypsy clothing...

I had someone tell me once when they first met me they were surprised I did not dress that way as they knew I was a reader beforehand. So enough people must be doing it to create that expectation. I am curious as to why readers dress that way for readings.

Babs

tarotbear

It's called 'Give the audience what they are paying for.'

Right now I am in sneakers, cargo shorts, and a t-shirt ... is this conducive to giving a reading? For my friends, yes. To go to someone's house party, or have them come into my home - probably not ... if it makes a difference.

When I would go do big party readings - like at Mardi Gras - I always wore my 'Mr. Wizard' outfit; for a private house party I would wear what I referred to as 'Basic Black with too much jewelry.' Black pants, black shirt, and a stunning piece I bought in a shop in P-Town that has an enamelled Sun and Moon pin connected by rhinestone strands.

Basic black or purple, or a combination - would be my best suggestion. I would skip the 'Miss Cleo' look - even if that is what the people are expecting. Let the phonies dress like phonies...

FenestraThought

I agree. It with TB. When one changes outfits or puts certain clothes on to do certain activities, it creates a psychosomatic shift that some come to rely on (ie..they can't read with out the right jewelry).

When you go to work you wear certain clothes, when you go "Out on the Town"..ect...
It allows people (that follow this practice) to focus "subconsciously" on what they are doing.
Hence the purpose of Ritual and Ritual Clothing. What one "Does" does not require the ritual, but as you change clothes, and put on the jewelry, the ritual acts engage the subconscious and superconscious in what is about to take place. The same level of focus is attainable with out such Rituals, it is just a matter of Perspective (as is much of life)

In agreement with TB, the "Atmosphere" that you create with clothing and certain props (a nice casting cloth, candles, incense) engages the Quarent on a "Deeper" level. Instilling a sense of faith and belief in what is about to take place. Taking down unnecessary walls that may pop up to block their focus on the reading if you were to just read in normal clothes.

You would be more trepidations if a doctor worked in flipflops and T-shirt, or a lawyer showed up to court in a Hawaiian shirt and shorts, then if they showed up looking like you "expected" them to look.

Its a Tool to be acknowledged and used (if you see fit), nothing more. Just like some people feel they "Need" crystals ...

I also agree with TB on the note that you don't have to go quite as "campy" as some (unless that is your heritage) You can Make it more professional (I like the all black look TB was talking about)... But Like TB said. You are a professional, a Tarot professional, The outfit is only to instill a sense of confidence in the Quarent on a psychosomatic level.

Mental Triggers are powerful... and some are Very ingrained in society, and how they see Tarot Readers and Psychics. Embrace this hidden power to your advantage... and tweek it to your "Personal Style". . . or not lol.

:) Love and Light ~

Disa

I happen to like "Gypsy" clothing..long skirts, flowing shirts,... I have since I was a tiny girl. I don't wear it often enough. Usually when I've done readings it was in a pretty casual setting among friends, family and their friends and family, so just capris and a top and whatever jewelry I like best. The jewelry I wear to work in an office differs than what I wear on the weekends or when I'm off work. For readings I would wear weekend jewelry- things I love to wear anyway, but are just too much in an office environment. I imagine if I were to do a Halloween Party or a some type of event I would just ask what the organizer felt was appropriate. I do have one friend coming over who is a bit afraid of getting her cards read, so in order to make her more comfortable, I asked if she wanted a casual kitchen table reading or if she wanted me to go all out. She just laughed and said a casual kitchen table reading will be fine.

I guess some who dress in the "stereotypical" fortune teller dress are doing it for show, but I think some people just like to dress that way anyhow and have occasion to do so.

Most of my metaphysical friends wear larger jewelry and a lot of black when we're at classes, meeting for lunch, or at the shop anyhow- so I don't think it's that much of a transition from our normal stuff to our reading stuff. Just different occasions call for different attire is all.

Grizabella

Dressing up for the part is fun. Parties sometimes call for it, and it does set a fun mood. Or a mysterious mood, if that's the aim.

When I dress up for a nicer occasion, I usually wear something flashy just because I like the dramatic effect. I always have ever since I was a little girl. I usually wear black with big, dramatic jewelry. (Well, big for me, anyway. I do scale it to my size pretty much because I'm not a big person.)

Other times, though, I just dress however I dress for a day at home. Believe me, that's not at all fancy, either.

tarotbear

This old thing? I've had it for years!

Does this look like something I would wear every day? LOL!!!!!

Attachments

• Equinox Pin.jpg
    Equinox Pin.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 174
  • headshot2.jpg
    headshot2.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 169

Disa

Does this look like something I would wear every day? LOL!!!!!

Well, I don't see why not ;) teehee

I think that's a great thing for you to wear for readings. It's gorgeous!

Grizabella

I love the pin! I'd wear that every day. Sure! Why not?

tarotbear

Sparkle, shimmer, and shine!

Sit down before you look at the prices! LOL!!!!

http://www.lunchattheritz.com/

I remember in their catalogue at the time I bought the Equinox pin they also had a Zodiac belt with a medallion for each sign - it was in the $1200 range!

Sinduction

Wow really?

I do not "dress the part" at all. I think it only furthers the stereotype and makes me look unprofessional. In my area, I'm also probably the only tarot reader they are likely to ever see in person, so I like to make sure I leave a positive impression.

When I do private parties I dress business casual. I look polished and professional. When I read at bars, I dress to suit the bar. Most often it's a goth bar.

I suppose if the situation called for it, like it was a costume party and my host requested I dress that way. But I wouldn't for any other reason.