Explaining the Logic to Tarot/Tarot Party advice

Girl Archer

I am nervous and excited all at the same time, as it will be my first tarot party ever. However, I know there will be the inevitable question of explaining the process to (some of) them. And honestly, I wonder too.

What is the logic behind the cards? What makes them tick? How do we get answers to unspoken question from a bunch of cards? Is there any scientific basis to it? Do we know any famous men of logic and science (like say Newton?) who might have been a champion of Tarot?

Now, I am myself not a science student, having studied commerce, so people kinda make fun of me most of the times, kinda "dumbing it down" so I can get it. I get it, I am not stupid. I have read Jung's theory of Synchronicity, but how exactly does it work in readings? I have not of course done a detailed study on Jung and the Tarot. Can anybody recommend any good articles online that might give my answers a solid basis, and those who want to check might as well do it straight away from their smart phones?

(I won't of course be explaining myself to some random disrespectful skeptic, just the curious and genuinely interested ones).

Oh, and any other tips for a tarot party? Like how to conduct oneself with sitters, interaction with cards, attire, attitude, anything...

gregory

We don't know. What more can ANYONE say ?

Carla

Most sitters won't ask how it works. If they do, I'd just smile and say, 'I don't know, but for some reason they do! Shall we read your cards today?'

Girl Archer

We don't know. What more can ANYONE say ?

How would you answer someone if they asked you how the answers to their unspoken questions can be given by a bunch of cards?

Girl Archer

Most sitters won't ask how it works. If they do, I'd just smile and say, 'I don't know, but for some reason they do! Shall we read your cards today?'

Actually, they did. I kinda explained whatever little I knew which piqued their curiosity enough to come over for readings and then we decided to make a little terrace picnic/tarot party of it. But I will certainly try your approach too :) thanks Carla!

Barleywine

I don't know of any plausible "scientific" explanations (maybe "brain waves?"), but there are several "occult" ones that may be a bit much for the casual enquirer to swallow :). I do know that some psychologists have used tarot as an adjunct to there normal practice, and Sally Nichols wrote a book on Jung and the Tarot that might give you some insights. I don't own it now and don't recall whether it was worthwhile in this regard.

Alta

My general reply is along the lines that I don't know "why", but I have doing them long enough that I know that they do.

I did a reading with (it was a learning session) someone in person not long ago, in the past couple of weeks, who is fairly new to tarot. The situation we were reading on was serious though. Afterwards she sat back, and in a puzzled voice commented how absolutely appropriate each card was to each position. I gave the above reply.

Girl Archer

I don't know of any plausible "scientific" explanations (maybe "brain waves?"), but there are several "occult" ones that may be a bit much for the casual enquirer to swallow :). I do know that some psychologists have used tarot as an adjunct to there normal practice, and Sally Nichols wrote a book on Jung and the Tarot that might give you some insights. I don't own it now and don't recall whether it was worthwhile in this regard.

Yes, that should do it for the "smart" ones. I will mention the book and tell them it is all in there, and for now we should just proceed with the reading :laugh:

Girl Archer

My general reply is along the lines that I don't know "why", but I have doing them long enough that I know that they do.

I did a reading with (it was a learning session) someone in person not long ago, in the past couple of weeks, who is fairly new to tarot. The situation we were reading on was serious though. Afterwards she sat back, and in a puzzled voice commented how absolutely appropriate each card was to each position. I gave the above reply.

Thanks Alta, that is a good line. My friends think I am Phoebe-esque to believe in Tarot, PLR and all that...

gregory

How would you answer someone if they asked you how the answers to their unspoken questions can be given by a bunch of cards?

I do (it has happened) say "I have no idea, but it seems to; amazing isn't it ?" I did on one memorable occasion, ask a very Christian person who has nothing against tarot, and who was just asking out of general interest rather than with a reading (we were on a bus with no cards !) how prayer worked. She laughed and said it was a fair cop :D