would you leave cards out?

greatdane

If you were asked to read for a young audience as part of a Halloween fair, would you leave out the Devil and Death, if asked? Would you also tone down your readings if it was made clear that this was an event that had to fall within certain parameters of being fun but very kind of generally family friendly, especially for those who might not normally get a reading?

This is a possible scenario for many, me possibly included. The time of the year when some things are more accepted is coming up quickly. On one hand, part of me thinks it's a compromise or the other hand, that it's an easy way to show people who have never seen a deck of cards it's not so scary. Like an easy introduction.

Thoughts? Any one faced this situation or one similar?

tarotbear

I have read for the type of event you are speaking of - at a high school for students.

No - I don't think there is any need to feel as though you need to 'censor' the deck. In doing so you invalidate yourself as a reader. If you feel this need to keep things in a 'fluffy bunny' atmosphere then I suggest you change your deck to something like the Halloween Tarot, or even *shudder* the Hello, Kitty tarot (I can't believe I typed that - the title alone makes me want to puke!) Skip the heavy-duty dark Goth-type decks ... or maybe even just read with a deck of playing cards instead.

Eyebright

I guess you could use a deck that has retitled those cards, you know like Transformation for Death etc etc?

greatdane

what if you were asked to, TB?

What if the organizers specifically asked you to leave those two cards out because your audience was really pretty conservative? I know sometimes tarot readers aren't even asked because of the connotation some think it suggests. That's why I would feel torn between showing people it needn't be scary and also not removing cards. If it came down to you couldn't read at a very conservative, young and old, family friendly event or taking the cards out, would you?

greatdane

interesting thought Eyebright

There will be fairs, like at libraries and things. I could have the chance to read, but CONSERVATIVE (in caps) people will be in attendance, some more, some less. I thought the Halloween Tarot, but organizers want to know any deck and even though this is a realllly benign deck and most cards just fine, well, there was a concern Death and the Devil were too much esp if young kids or really conservative peeps would be there. See my dilemma?

gregory

No. You demean yourself and your cards. If they want a tarot reader, they have to accept what that means. If they can't accept that in its entirety - use playing cards, as TB says.

Heck - half the FUN for teens is wondering if the Death card will show up }) Same kind of fear-testing thing in them as watching vampire movies.

Eyebright

I see your point but if someone has come for a Tarot reading, then they have made the choice to do that knowing so difficult cards may come up. If you were that conservative you wouldn't get a reading surely?
So I would be inclined to keep the cards, it's not tarot if they aren't here, might as well use a DV oracle instead. The most I would compromise would be to pick a deck that has "gentler" titles....

greatdane

I SO hear you there, Gregory...

It's just that there will be all ages, not teens, in fact, the majority would likely be pre teen and parents. THis isn't a regular scary type of Halloween Fair, more like an event for younger kids. But I get it isn't really reading if you're not using all the cards! And I wouldn't feel I was really reading. Now if I could find a deck that didn't SAY Death or the Devil that would work! Thanks! That give me another way to go. You and Eyebright made me think of just finding a deck that used different words and really non-scary (even for preteens) imagery!
Just started a thread re non-scary fall/halloween decks and I'm looking for suggestions!
Halloween Tarot would be out because of the Devil and Death....

Disa

If you feel this need to keep things in a 'fluffy bunny' atmosphere then I suggest you change your deck to something like the Halloween Tarot, or even *shudder* the Hello, Kitty tarot (I can't believe I typed that - the title alone makes me want to puke!) .

Tarotbear, it's official- I think I love you :) hahahaaaaaaaaaaaaa

GD, I agree with the others that it shouldn't be about leaving cards out, but finding a deck with alternative titles. However- I really do think you have a great opportunity for a "teachable moment" here.

Carla

I think if they don't want tarot readings they shouldn't hire a tarot reader. If they just want a 'fortune teller' attraction for the kiddies, do Lenormand, playing card, or any 'safe' oracle readings instead. The kids won't know the difference.