Tarot Decks Getting OTT......?

Winterchild

I have looked at both Llewellyn and LS sites over the past few days, and I feel kind of saddened.... it's the same feeling I get at Christmas, walking through a shopping centre... kind of half excited by the seasonal smells and music and the cold, (well maybe not in NZ, but I don't do Christmas here, even when I am here...) but mostly I get this sick feeling, knowing it will all be in sales a few days later.... and everyone is rushing and grabbing... and I just want to run to the nearest wood... preferably a snowy one, where there will magically be a pot of hot tea awaiting me!

So may decks, so many new things... and a tarot called Illuminati? is that name not rather unfortunate... given the current political conspiracy theories? New wondrous apps, like nothing seen before are promised, 3D Tarot.......?

I dunno.... feels like too much chocolate, chocolate that is only 10% cocoa, if that....

I am as bad as the next for the occasional new deck.... love my new Zombie.... but really... is it not getting too diluted? Too *much*?

Sulis

You don't have to go along with it though and buy into every new deck that comes out. I've gone back to tarot roots with the TdM and that's enough for me these days. All those new, shiny decks can be there for those who want them but they're not for me. Just do what you do with tarot and leave the stuff you don't like to those who want it.

AJ

Turn off the madness. Buying decks is just a habit like anything else. Beanie Babies make of paper rather than fabric, all the same with different colors
Quit trolling ebay, quit following the mob threads, really use the decks you have.

Amanda

Yes, and I will keep saying that we need an online tarot rental place for those of us who are not intent on collecting but still love getting our hands on the newest thing. Then we can send it back when we've had our fill or opt to buy. I know it's a small market, but also it would be naive to think that people would only rent one deck at a time. :D

Siochanai

Wow Amanda that is a great idea I think I might have to start workingg on that website/business. That would be so awesome.

Amanda

Wow Amanda that is a great idea I think I might have to start workingg on that website/business. That would be so awesome.

You have my full support! :thumbsup:
I don't have the resources, or it would have been done by now. :D

vee

Turn off the madness. Buying decks is just a habit like anything else. Beanie Babies make of paper rather than fabric, all the same with different colors
Quit trolling ebay, quit following the mob threads, really use the decks you have.

This!

The things that seem like cheap candy to you may be rich treats to others, so I wouldn't be so quick to condescend, but still...don't buy something that's just going to give you a stomachache. :laugh:

If you're interested in traditional decks, there are a slew of those coming out (restorations, reproductions, reimaginings) that you can look through and find the ones that call to you. Make your relationship with tarot personal, not something dictated by the whims of the market!

Winterchild

Beanies!!!

LOL!! Thankfully I have never entered any of the crazes..... never been into fashion or beanie babies or anything. I collect books and Tarot decks, but I used Tarot for years before I purchased a second deck even. I have been looking at some older decks. I really buy newer ones for the art....more than anything but I do like to be able to use them.

I suppose looking at it I have only noticed the current trends since I have been an AT member... so it's a small world trend really..... and its no bad thing :)

Kosjitov

Yes, and I will keep saying that we need an online tarot rental place for those of us who are not intent on collecting but still love getting our hands on the newest thing. Then we can send it back when we've had our fill or opt to buy. I know it's a small market, but also it would be naive to think that people would only rent one deck at a time. :D

It sounds great... and I'd be totally behind it except....

*deep sigh*

Let's face it. People are jerks. They'll man-handle the cards, the dog/baby will chew one, coffee or soda will spill... and it'll make the rest of us want to SCREAM when you send us THAT deck. You know the one I'm talking about. The one where the LAST ***hole stole one (or more!) of the cards that ressonated with them. These are the same people who rip out pages of books and keep them. (I hope there's a special place in the afterlife for these people.)

*clears throat*

OP: I had the same feeling after I stopped being super serious about tarot. I got tired of seeing all the gushy threads about the newest deck. Maybe it was partially jealousy because I couldn't run out and get it. Either way, I've slowed down my purchasing and stopped at 14 decks. May not seem like much to anyone else here, but considering that I only ever wanted 3 and have started to give away some... well, I put more thought in what I buy. There's nothing wrong with it. :) At least when you get the crazy inkling and give in you can remember all those times you resisted and that it's okay to treat yourself!