Tarot Creators/Concievers Amongst Their Cards

Eeviee

I'm very interested in the discovery of Tarot Authors/Creators/Concievers placing themselves amongst their Tarot Cards.

I just discovered this phenomena with the Witches Tarot (Llewellyn, 2012), by Ellen Dugan (Author/Conciever) and Mark Evans (Illustrator).

Upon my review of this deck, and note of Dugan's appearance, several other AT-ers shed some light that it is not a new or (apparently) uncommon practice. Several commentors brought new information to my eyes in regards to this practice.

I thought it would be interesting to start a (more appropritate) Thread in regards to this topic.

I would like to composite a list of Decks, Authors, and the Cards they appear in.

Anyone who has any new or relevant information, please share! I will update the list as new information comes. Post with what you know/think, etc. Feel free to include scans/images when you have them! Also, Confirm/Deny/Correct any information that appears here. =]

Deck - Publisher (Date) - Author(s) & Illustrator(s) - Card(s):

All Hallows - Self-Published (2006) - Robyn Tisch Hollister - 3 of Wands (Hollister) Provided By: @Chronata

Ancestral Path Tarot - US Games (1996) - Julie Cuccia Watts & Tracey Hoover (companion book author) - The Fool (Hoover) Provided By: @Chiriku

Angel Tarot - Hay House (2012) - Doreen Virtue & Radleigh Valentin - 9 of Cups (Virtue) Provided By: @Hämy

Celtic Dragon Tarot - Llewellyn (2003) - DJ Conway & Lisa Hunt - The Magician (Conway) Provided By: @magpie9

Connolly Tarot - US Games (1990) - Eileen Connolly & Peter Paul Connolly - The Empress (Connoly's Mother) Provided By: @Lotus Padma

Dali Universal Tarot - US Games (n/a) - Juan Llarch & Salvador Dali - The Magician (Dali) Provided By: @nisaba

Gaian Tarot - Self-Published (2010)/Llewellyn (2011) - Joanna Powell Colbert - The Lovers (Colbert) Provided By: @magpie9 & 9 of Earth Provided By: @Carla

The Everyman Tarot - @tarotbear - The Fool (@tarotbear) Provided By: @tarotbear

Granny Jones Austrailian Tarot - Kangaroo Press (n/a) - [Card Backs] (Jones) Provided By: @nisaba

Quantum Tarot - Kunati Inc. (2008) - Christopher Butler & Kay Stopforth - Queen of Wands (Stopforth) & King of Wands (Chiro Marchetti) Provided By: @nisaba

Sacred Circle Tarot - Llewellyn (1998) - Anna Franklin & Paul Mason - Queen of Swords (Franklin) & Page of Swords (Mason) Provided By: @enchantedbroom

Silver Era Tarot - Schiffer Books (2010) - Aunia Kahn & Russell Moon - [All Cards] Provided By: @janie144

Witches Tarot - Llewellyn (2012) - Ellen Dugan & Mark Evans - The Sun (Dugan's son Kraig), 6 of Cups (Dugan's children Kyle and Erin), Knight of Cups (Dugan's son Kraig), King of Cups (Dugan's husband), Knight of Swords (Dugan's son Kyle), Queen of Swords (Dugan's daughter Erin), & 9 of Pentacles (Dugan, herself) Provided By: @Eeviee

LAST UPDATED: Sept. 13, 2012

tarotbear

The Everyman Tarot

Although the thread is not specificially about the deck, I did explore the images I was creating to illustrate my newest book:

http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=177546

And I did put myself in many cards, including the suit of Pentacles.

Attachments

• 00 Fool.jpg
    00 Fool.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 251

Alta

In my opinion, The Hermit in the Tarot of Ceremonial Magick is the creator, Lon Milo Duquette.

Chiriku

Not quite the same as a creator, but Tracey Hoover, the author of the companion book to the Ancestral Path tarot, is pictured on The Fool card of that deck. The deck's creator, Julie Cuccia Watts, is also its artist.I think I've seen women who resemble Watts in her decks, but Hoover is the only one I know of that is confirmed.

magpie9

The creator of the Celtic Dragon tarot (Edan McCoy?) is featured as the Magician. She and Lisa Hunt are both in their Shapeshifter deck, I don't remember what card(s).
The Gian author is also the woman in the lovers card. There are more out there...I'll see if more come to me.

tarotbear

It is not that unusual for the creator/artist of a deck to make themselves the Fool, Magician, or HP of their deck, or to put themself into their favorite card.

ThunderWolf

The creator of the Celtic Dragon tarot (Edan McCoy?) is featured as the Magician.

I think that you're thinking of DJ Conway. She was involved in the creation of the two decks you mentioned, and after comparing that card to a pic of her taken in January I can most definitely see the resemblance from the nose down. I don't think the artist captured her eyes really well, but I can see how that would be her on that card.

Amanda

The person in the 7 of Cups in the Bright Idea deck looks like the creator to me.

Padma

The Empress in the Connolly Tarot deck is a portrait of the artist's (Peter Paul Connolly) mother, Eileen Connolly, who conceived of/implemented ideas for/designed the idea behind the deck. Even if she didn't do the illustrations, the deck was hers. :)

magpie9

I think that you're thinking of DJ Conway. She was involved in the creation of the two decks you mentioned, and after comparing that card to a pic of her taken in January I can most definitely see the resemblance from the nose down. I don't think the artist captured her eyes really well, but I can see how that would be her on that card.

Yes, you're right...that's who I was thinking of. thanks!