What were they talking about?

beekie

Has anyone ever tried to use Tarot to see what was the conversation between 2 people, when you know nothing about the possible topic?

For example, there was a big power lunch today with some of the yuppies at my job... and I wanted to know what their lunch time discussion was about. It could have all been work, or personal, or a mixture of both. If you have done any readings similar, how would you tell or know that the convo was work related vs personal?

tarotbear

Most readers will tell you that you should not use Tarot to eavesdrop on people.

rwcarter

I agree with tarotbear that my tarot ethics forbid me from prying into other people's business when not asked to do so.

But generally, Wands (Fire) are associated with business/work, so a Wands card (or many Wands cards in the reading you do) might indicate that business topics were discussed at lunch. Swords might indicate that there was an argument (although you wouldn't necessarily know about what) during lunch. Cups might indicate that personal matters were discussed. Pentacles could suggest that health matters (i.e., personal matters) were discussed or that building some kind of foundation or consensus (i.e., work matters) was discussed.

Zephyros

I don't see why not; it's not either/or for me, it's shades of gray. For one thing, Tarot isn't like installing cameras in somebody's bedroom; to me at least, it doesn't work that way.

While there are certain topics I would consider eavesdropping, especially regarding to personal matters, I don't see why being interested in a business meeting pertaining to me would be that bad. It is perhaps walking the line, because beekie said they discussed personal matters as well, but if the intent is business, I prefer to be a little more flexible. A lunch with many people attending isn't what I would call private. Hidden from me, yes, but certainly not personal.

rwcarter

While there are certain topics I would consider eavesdropping, especially regarding to personal matters, I don't see why being interested in a business meeting pertaining to me would be that bad.
Except nowhere in the original post does it say that the poster thought they might have been discussing him/her.

tarotbear

...there was a big power lunch today with some of the yuppies at my job... and I wanted to know what their lunch time discussion was about.

closrapexa - my impression (sorry, beekie) is that this was a private meeting to which the poster was not privy, and the poster was not a part of their discussion, Therefore, wanting to use Tarot to find out what was discussed - which may have been personal to the attendees - would be eavesdopping.

Depending on whether you see Tarot as predictive, intuitive, or both - it might be impossible for Tarot to answer such a question to begin with.

beekie

Thank you everyone! Wow this turned in to quite the discussion!

I wasn't intending on actually doing this type of reading, I was just curious if it could be done and I used my lunch meeting as an example. I figure we can use tarot for just about anything, why not this? I guess it goes back to "others" readings in general, to not snoop but also you could read things incorrectly.

It all leads back to my wondering if what we see is correct, but that's the whole mystery behind tarot :)

Chiriku

The answer to your question depends on the respondent's entire tarot worldview and whether or not he or she believes tarot taps into some source of knowledge or information beyond the normal ken of the reader himself or herself. For my part, I do not believe this, and thus, I see no ethical problem with asking the question of the cards. It is tantamount to aasking oneself what one thinks they were talking about.

For me, reading tarot cards is "only" a sophisticated thought exercise, an elegant and elaborate means of answering "what if?" Or saying, "just suppose...". But that word "only" is very misleading in suggesting that this view of tarot belittles it; I consider it a very fruitful enterprise if undertaken with care.

Having said that, I once had occasion to ask "what did so and so think of me when they committed this wrong against me?" I asked not because I thought tarot would give me "THE real answer" (as much as anything can be), but because it helped me stretch my mind to see other possibilities than I may have thought of on my own, to answer "just suppose..."

Given the above views, my answer to you is: "I think tarot can help you imagine what they were talking about but I do not believe it is akin, or anywhere near, to having a tape recorder under the table, and I would not cling to the answer as proof of what was actually discussed."

tarotbear

Given the above views, my answer to you is: "I think tarot can help you imagine what they were talking about but I do not believe it is akin, or anywhere near, to having a tape recorder under the table, and I would not cling to the answer as proof of what was actually discussed."

So, in essence you are lending credence to saying that all Tarot readings should be 'For Entertainment Purposes Only'? :D

Chiriku

So, in essence you are lending credence to saying that all Tarot readings should be 'For Entertainment Purposes Only'? :D

Amend that to: "For insightful food for thought and self-reflection." ;)

But I think ethics in things like these (I.e. that don't cause great injury or harm to another) must be based on one's own beliefs. And if the OP does believe that the tarot taps into forces that definitively reveal things otherwise beyond our five senses' ken, then I think it might be unethical to read on what the people discussed at their meeting.