Good stone for my son for a successful school year?

swedishfish612

I'm wanting a small one to put in his backpack. He does great academically, but has some anxieties and has trouble making friends. I was thinking bloodstone, but I'm open to ideas! I'd love something that hits a lot of bases- calming the mind, success, creativity- and that's why I thought of bloodstone, but I'm not dead set on it.

- ETA- considering amber as well after doing more research. Any thoughts on this one? I know I'm trying to cover a lot of bases here, lol. I'd say what is most important is calming anxieties, helping him to be comfortable making friends and just being himself. Thanks in advance for any input!

Glass Owl

My daughter has been wearing a rose quartz pendent to school the last few days (tucked under her shirt so it is touching her skin, near her heart area). I've noticed that she has less anxious and is more positive. Plus, it seems that she has been more patience with herself and others and less prone to lash out in anger.

Padma

ugh - computer ate my response, so forgive if this randomly appears twice.

I think GlassOwl was giving good advice in regard to Rose Quartz...also, Prehnite protects the self-esteem as well as the (physical) self.

According to Cassandra Eason, a UK based author and crystal healer, red Jasper protects from emotional bullying; and Blue Chalcedony is very calming, and good for children...and Super Seven would be a good choice for your son, I think, because it contains 7 different mineral elements and so would cover a lot of bases - as well, she states that "children love Super Seven" and so I would imagine it loves them back ;)

Amber is a good choice too, considered to be a "Master Healer" and I bet if you got one with an insect inside it, he'd be delighted :)

Black Tourmaline would be my strongest suggestion, however - it is a stone of goodwill and joy, calms the self, aids in creative projects, and dissolves negativity in the self and in the environment. Good all around! I would recommend he keep it in a pants pocket, as it is related to the root chakra. I wish your son an excellent and happy year at school!

wildchilde

Hi Swedishfish612!

I agree with Glass Owl, its best if he can wear a crystal against his skin (maybe a bracelet or necklace) or put in his pockets. The backpack may not stay close enough to him throughout the day to have a strong effect. Although, if it is the only choice it is better than none and you can have him program the crystals to "stay with him" during the day by meditating with them at night in his hands.

My personal feeling is that unless he is being bullied, or you/he fears that his size or demeanor will attract bullies, the bloodstone may be too strong for this situation and could actually make him more agitated, especially the longer he uses it.

My suggestion would be Amazonite for it's ability to calm, energize, increase self-confidence, and help one to express oneself. (an added bonus is that it can help align one's posture which would be great for "slouchy" boys LOL) On a side note, Amazonite is also a great stone for tarot readers for insight and concentration ;)

Another possibility would be Flourite for it's calming affects. Especially good if he has signs or has been diagnosed with ADD or similar attention issues as it can focus the mind and calm the nerves. And, if you want to use them both together, Flourite is great at increasing the energy of the stones around it. So it is a great "twofor" stone! :)

Good luck! Hope you will report back your/his findings.

Chronata

Amber is doing amazing things for my self esteem, and is giving me the ability to have more drive and energy.

I would also recommend citrine, and rose quartz for making friends.

Glass Owl

I've also found that bach flowers are very helpful for stressful situations and really help my daughter's moods, particularly after coming home from school. I found a site online where I could customize a tincture for her based on her individuals needs.

Just this afternoon my daughter came home from school and took off her school clothes (including the rose quartz necklace). Within 45 minutes she had a bit of meltdown, crying about the kids in her class and not wanting to do her homework. This is a typical time for her to get upset so I don't think it relates to her removing the necklace although it is possible she would have had less of reaction. I think that she, along with a lot of kids, has a tendency to hold it all in during the day at school and then it spills out when they get home. Plus, it is a very long day and she is starting to get tired and hungry by that time. So, after a bit of prodding, I gave her a few drops and within 5-10 minutes she was doing so much better.

swedishfish612

Thank you all SO much for the suggestions; I am going to be busy researching for the next few nights since I'm making a run to the mineral store either Friday or Saturday! I want just the right thing for him...

My son is 9 and has Autism. He's on the high-functioning/Asperger's end of the spectrum. If any of you have any experience with HF Autism or Asperger's syndrome, you probably already know that this makes him a target for bullying. Fortunately, we haven't had a single problem at his new school (new as in we moved here in late Feb.), but we had a lot of bullying issues at his previous school. He has a lot of anxieties and can't deal with change well. He tries to make friends, and usually can make some, but he can't keep them. Academically, he's actually off the charts, but socially...he really suffers. :(

Lately, he's had a lot of issues with getting easily frustrated, being short-tempered, and going from irritated to outright angry pretty quickly. We're working on him developing empathy and putting himself in others' shoes, but it's really a tough thing to "teach" someone and a tough thing to learn. (These are the reasons he has trouble keeping the friends he is able to make!)

I'm going to read more tonight, especially with the warning that bloodstone might be too much for him, and see what I think would be best.

If anyone thinks of anything else, especially related to the new information I brought up, please feel free to add more input. I appreciate the responses and will be looking into all of the suggestions!

ThunderWolf

I agree about the gentle, loving energies of rose quartz, but I fear clear quartz may be too stimulating for someone on the autistic spectrum.

I also would suggest that rather than trying to deal with these issues specifically with the spiritual properties of stones that you might want to look into the (I'm about to create my own word) "spirituo-medicinal" qualities of stones that apply specifically to autism.

Melody mentions specific areas of the bodies and conditions that might benefit from the use of particular stones in her book. You may also be able to find this sort of information by googling it.

I just think in this case the social challenges he's having are specifically related to the autism and it might be better to find a stone that will work with the autism rather than just the symptoms of it.

Padma

I am thinking Amethyst might be very good for calming anger - and is also an excellent stone, being multi-purpose...

In Eason's book, she recommends tourmalinated quartz for autism, as well as Sodalite, Chrysocolla, Aquamarine (very soothing!) and Chrysocola.

I send you my best wishes for the continued success of your son at this new school ;) oh and also, I agree that the stone should be kept near his skin...and near the chakra it supports...for best results (based on personal experience!)