The Art Tarots of Parrish

Friture

So I was stuck in a mall today and decided to check out one of the bookstores. The English section did not have a new age category, which was a bit surprising because they used to. Maybe new age books are expensive (import duty, currency exchange), so the demand is low. Anyway, while lurking in the Mandarin section I found one tarot book & deck set printed in and imported from Taiwan (published by a Taiwanese astrologer Tiffany). I discovered that it is based on the artworks of Maxfield Parrish, the book (not booklet, it's quite thick with some interpretations for career, finance, love and social life) in the set is beautiful, nicely printed. But this is a non-standard deck. No suits, 85 cards, each card has its own name and meaning (refer to book) feels more like an oracle deck??? (is it correct I don't know much about oracle). Problem is the card is coarsely cut and there is QR code on each card (as this deck also comes with a free app http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/parrish-tarot/id405470591?mt=8).

Although I am captivated by the book, Parrish's artwork, and even how each of the card is named and interpreted based on his artwork, I felt let down by the card printing/cutting. The QR code seems to be in the way (I like staring at/intuiting on the artwork), and who knows it might even 'date' the card. Maybe I'll buy it and stick something over the QR code :p

So what do you guys think? Should I get the deck? :D

gregory

I'd quite like that deck... but NOT an app. In theory you can download the deck; I am looking into this to make sure it is virus free...

OH. NO - don't :)

Friture

I'd quite like that deck... but NOT an app. In theory you can download the deck; I am looking into this to make sure it is virus free...

OH. NO - don't :)

Ohhh :) If I'm getting the deck I wouldn't plan to download the app anyways. But here's one vote for no. Haha!

By the way, do you happen to know if anyone ever attempted to make a deck using Parrish's artwork? I did search on this forum, someone mentioned Film Noir of 30s era. I wonder why no one else published one, like the one I'm looking at. Maybe they prefer to create their own deck?

gregory

No - I found a download site for just the deck. OUCH.... BAD idea !