Why are 'Oracle Decks' stigmatized on AT?

tarotbear

I have always tended to notice it, but now I'll ask outright ~

Whenever anyone is discussing a deck on AT, they always make sure to emphysize - usually in capital letters or bold - "that XYZ is NOT a Tarot deck; it's an ORACLE deck."

Someone will always reply "All Tarot decks are Oracle decks; but not all Oracle decks are Tarot decks."

Then the first someone will explain something such as the character has the wrong hand lifted or the wrong foot in the water and re-emphysize 'THIS makes it an ORACLE deck, not a Tarot deck.'

So, my question is: Why does everyone seem to put forth this attitude that "If it is NOT a Tarot deck ~ then it's just freeze-dried dog doo-doo?" :bugeyed:

Bhavana

ie the freeze dried dog doo doo comment: Are you sure you aren't talking about TAROT decks vs. DOREEN VIRTUE decks?

Personally, I don't find the average oracle deck all that interesting, but I don't think they are as ostracized as you think. First and foremost, this is a tarot site, so it makes sense that the majority of those here put tarot above all other types of decks. I own about 5 or 6 oracle decks - but I never use them, I just don't find them very challenging.

Richard

I don't get the idea that oracle decks are necessarily put down on AT, just distinguished from Tarot according to structure.

AJ

we must read different threads. I love oracles and have never read any put downs in all the time here other than very deck specific. Nor for using painted glass stones, sticks, runes, etc.

Zephyros

I won't go into what the others have said. No offense, but a question was asked; one can always find exceptions and people saying "But I... etc."

In any case, although I (of course!) do not have anything against them, I suspect that in a way, they are seen as "easy." Sure, some artists create some amazing ones, with artwork rivaling the best Tarot decks, but they can still be seen as merely any number of cards holding anything the artist wished them to, and then marketed as an oracle.

Now, I don't think this is the case, but I'm not sure it isn't, either. Although, like I said, there are always exceptions, it is in the oracle decks where you find the most unicorns, the most "affirmations," the most ready made answers. If they are stigmatized on AT, they are as stigmatized everywhere. I don't know enough about them to really say if they are like that, but perhaps that is an advantage, I'm speaking as a person who knows close to nothing about them.

gregory

I think I have only seen that said when people are discussing TAROT and someone comes in and says they prefer - say - Froud's Fairies - and then someone - it could well be me - will indeed say "but that's an oracle, not tarot." Because it ISN'T tarot - it doesn't share the structure. So in a thread about TAROT, it isn't relevant. I am not dissing them - but just asking that they not feature in TAROT threads.

Many oracles do great stuff. I know people here who love them - I can't get results from them myself. Someone like Alta, on the other hand, does. More power to her and I love reading her readings from them - but I don't GET them like I get tarot. Basically - I just don't understand them, I guess ! I don't understand Japanese either, so I don't read Japanese books, but it is a great language for those who do.

Le Fanu

I have always been bemused by these dichotomies.

For me an oracle is anything that gives answers; runes, a person, someone on delphi, maybe someone on drugs, bones, entrails. To my mind it always has someone interpreting. The bones themselves are not the oracle, they are a method, and the person then interprets them. Oracles has now come to mean a set of cards which is not something, i.e tarot.

I really don't like this definition but it has come to pass and is no longer questioned.

I simply don't buy the idea that a deck of cards that doesn't number 78 and doesn't have Majors & Minors etc etc must be an oracle. Others are free to refer to it that way but in my mind an oracle is something else. I am quite happy to think in terms of a "set of cards".

I still think of some of my favourite decks as tools for cartomancy. Nothing more. I use the word cartomancy a lot to distinguish it from armomancy (divination with one's own shoulders) or ololygmancy (divination via the howling of dogs), neither of which I do. For a fun list see here.

But sadly, oracle has come to mean those card decks that we don't fit into the lofty confines of "tarot".

I don't look down on "oracle" decks, however I do look down - most severely - on anything which has "affirmations" or "healing" on the box. But, in my own mind, oracle is more than just "not" tarot.

I prefer to think in terms of "cartomancy" and a "cartomancy" deck/tool. Each to their own.

gregory

A tarot deck MUST have the tarot structure, for me. Which MUST have the majors and at least 4 suits. I am not 100% sure about extra suits, myself. But while a tarot deck IS a kind of oracle, it also has that structure. An oracle deck PLUS, perhaps ?

Where does a LeNormand fit ? They are - to me - another category entirely - and I can't read with them either. But they DO have a structure, so aren't as free-form as an oracle deck CAN (but may not) be. Sure, an oracle isn't just a non-tarot deck, but nor can ine be called tarot. I do not look down on them at all, though.

Starshower

I LOVE FROUD'S FAERIES & THE HEART OF FAERY ORACLES! :grin:

Phew, that's better. Sorry to shout. lol. I have never seen oracles 'dissed' on here either - just differentiated from Tarot decks, as has been said in the replies above.
Actually, some tarot decks don't fit the 'Real Tarot' bill for me either, if the imagery seems totally random & devoid of most of the traditional expressions of numerological or esoteric significance; though I love exploring fresh ways that these can be thoughtfully represented in all kinds of modern & experimental decks. Humour can be good, too. Vive variety, both artistic & idealogical. But with some intelligence. :)

ps Over-laden & over-complicated symbolism puts me off too. It's so hard to express exactly what does appeal & what doesn't, until actually seeing a deck, when WHAM, I know intuitively whether it will work for me or not. That applies to oracle decks too.

pps and, like Le Fanu, I really dislike the word 'healing' or 'affirmations' on any cards.

gregory

Actually, some tarot decks don't fit the 'Real Tarot' bill for me either, if the imagery seems totally random & devoid of most of the traditional expressions of numerological or esoteric significance; though I love exploring fresh ways of these can be thoughtfully represented in all kinds of modern & experimental decks. Vive variety, both artistic & idealogical. :)

GOD yes. Think Charmed, Power Animals, HBO Carnivale etc....