Yoda Is The Hermit

direwolf336

I just figured this out watching The Empire Strikes Back. I know it's silly comparing a fictional character with a Tarot card, but as soon as Yoda came on, totally made the connection. Foolish Iv been!!

Zephyros

I just figured this out watching The Empire Strikes Back. I know it's silly comparing a fictional character with a Tarot card, but as soon as Yoda came on, totally made the connection. Foolish Iv been!!

It's not foolish at all, Star Wars is based on mythology, which shares the same archetypes as Tarot (if it interests you, read up on the monomyth. If you're really into it, read The Hero with a Thousand Faces by Joseph Campell). You can find the same sort of stories and figures in most stories, and practically all of them can be shown to be Tarot cards.

As to Yoda, yes I think you're right, I've seen that in him before. At least, he's the Hermit in the original films, I don't count the prequels as being movies.

Luke is of course the Fool who goes into the wide world, studies with the Hermit, and then through his hubris he suffers Death at the hands of the Tower. Later on, after having assimilated the lessons taught, he is ready to meet the Devil and his deceits (that's no Moon! yes it is!) and in the end, he achieves Justice and later, the World.

This is a simplification because I made it up on the spur of the moment, but I'm sure with enough time I could tell the whole Star Wars saga with Tarot, mainly because it is essentially the same story. :)

Dain

Of course, the Hermit Yoda is. Any different could it ever be? :p

I'd also suggest The Power of Myth by Joseph Campbell and Bill Moyers. The book contains transcripts of their discussions at George Lucas' Skywalker Ranch and they talk about ancient myths, modern myths, from John Lennon to, naturally, Star Wars.

Nice topic, by the way. I wonder if there is a topic somewhere that connects more SW characters and concepts to tarot.

direwolf336

The more Iv been thinking about it, you both are indeed right. Iv only been doing Tarot for about four years, but never really connected any movies to them. But indeed SW does have a great base to associate characters and situations with the Tarot!! Thanks guys!!!

Dain

The more Iv been thinking about it, you both are indeed right. Iv only been doing Tarot for about four years, but never really connected any movies to them. But indeed SW does have a great base to associate characters and situations with the Tarot!! Thanks guys!!!

You're very welcome! Why not start a topic about SW and Tarot? I'd certainly be interested! :)

earthair

I've just been watching Empire Strikes Back again and I had a thought...

In Transcendental Magic, Levi says-

"When a child says: “I cannot,” his
mother answers: “Try.” Faith does not even try; it begins with the certitude of finishing,
and it proceeds calmly, as if omnipotence were at its disposal and eternity
before it. What seek you therefore from the science of the Magi?"

So maybe the scriptwriters based the swamp scene on that quote? and maybe
the way Levi orders his words in 'what seek you therefore' is the inspiration for Yoda's curious sentence structure? So Yoda isn't just the Hermit, he's Levi in disguise? :D

Then there's this... http://beforeitsnews.com/paranormal...rom-freemason-conjuration-ritual-2464026.html in which case Yoda isn't the Hermit, he's the Devil?

(The swamp scene https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YkbgvRMpW0 )

Tanga

I've just been watching Empire Strikes Back again and I had a thought...

In Transcendental Magic, Levi says-

"When a child says: “I cannot,” his
mother answers: “Try.” Faith does not even try; it begins with the certitude of finishing,
and it proceeds calmly, as if omnipotence were at its disposal and eternity
before it. What seek you therefore from the science of the Magi?"

OMGs :)
You've thrown out just the quote that has buoyed my spirits.
Lol. Thanks earthair!

And what a cute picture of Levi and Yoda.

Kingu

Yoda is the hermit

If Yoda is the hermit card than Han Solo will totally be the Knight of Wands.

G6

I'll bite…Darth Vader is the King of Swords rx.