no more readings sold on Ebay

Zephyros

I can actually see their point. Although I don't like the dismissive attitude both in the article and EBay's comment, from the point of view of a vendor EBay can't really prove a certain product is defective. It's completely the word of the customer against the seller, and that could a lot of legal hassle for them, even if you leave aside the danger of charlatans.

However, they could have been more creative and sectioned off a "non-protected" section of the site. The simply chose the easy route.

Sulis

Then again....

There is already a thread:

http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=181192
That thread is in the Professional Tarot forum and only subscribers have access to it so I think this thread's fine as a general discussion of the change of policy.

I think it's fair enough. There are so many ridiculous spells, curses etc available on ebay and selling things that don't technically exist must be a nightmare to keep an eye on. It's so open to abuse so I think it's a good move.
People who are serious about doing readings will have to make a bit of effort and start a website if they want to sell readings. I'm not sure how Facebook etc see paid readings but free readings can be done there or on other social media sites.

gregory

Oops. Sorry - I didn't notice where it was !

OK - in that case to restate: given the trouble that many people have getting refunds for things - actual tangible things - that were mis-sold on ebay, I can't help feeling that I can't blame them for this. Sure - there are a lot of people on there selling good readings (I am not so sure about spells...) but there are a lot of scam readers. ALSO - and perhaps more to the point - there are a lot of people who will try and do anything to get their money back - and in the case of a reading - there is no actual PROOF of whether it is good or bad. Even the best reader in the world who doesn't deliver what the buyer wants to hear is at risk here.

And ebay has to mediate. How ?

Barleywine

The policy seems to include "all things metaphysical." I see that tangible items like amulets, charms and such are included, according to the mention of some people trying to find loopholes for them. Does that mean we won't be able to sell unwanted tarot decks on eBay?

Sulis

The policy seems to include "all things metaphysical." I see that tangible items like amulets, charms and such are included, according to the mention of some people trying to find loopholes for them. Does that mean we won't be able to sell unwanted tarot decks on eBay?

I doubt it since tarot isn't necessarily 'metaphysical'.. A tarot deck is like a book, it's not something like an amulet or charm which is meant to have innate magical powers.

gregory

To quote from the other thread:

Below is the current list of the categories to be permanently removed with the 2012 Fall Seller Update.
Discontinued categories
Everything Else: Metaphysical: Psychic, Paranormal > Readings
Everything Else: Metaphysical: Psychic, Paranormal > Spells, Potions
Everything Else: Metaphysical: Tarot Readings
Everything Else: Advertising Opportunities
Everything Else: Memberships
Specialty Services: Advice & Instruction: Business & Computer
Specialty Services: Advice & Instruction: Lessons & Tutoring
Specialty Services: Advice & Instruction: Other
Specialty Services: Advice & Instruction: Diet & Fitness
Business & Industrial: Businesses & Websites for Sale > Advertising Inventory
Business & Industrial: Businesses & Websites for Sale > Home-Based Businesses
Art: Direct from the Artist: Digital Art
Art: Art from Dealers & Resellers: Digital Art
Home & Garden: Inside the Home: Food & Wine: Recipes

AS far as I can see CONCRETE ITEMS are OK.... But no potions....

eBay Sellers notice said:
Items that will be prohibited include: advice; spells; curses; hexing; conjuring; magic services; prayers; blessings; Psychic, Tarot, Reiki, and other metaphysical readings & services; magic potions; healing sessions; work from home businesses & information; wholesale lists, and drop ship lists.

And decks are specifically shown as OK.

Lessons and Tutoring are gone, too. THAT's good - but I wonder about "qualifications"....

Barleywine

I doubt it since tarot isn't necessarily 'metaphysical'.. A tarot deck is like a book, it's not something like an amulet or charm which is meant to have innate magical powers.

Yes, I suppose amulets or charms, like potions, would be charged or imbued in some way, making them "special." But I'm wondering whether the policy isn't a smokescreen for some kind of conservative social agenda. It seems they could just invoke "caveat emptor" and make a statement that they won't accept liability for "services" of this type. I guess it wouldn't stop disgruntled people from calling customer service, though.

gregory

Yes, I suppose amulets or charms, like potions, would be charged or imbued in some way, making them "special." But I'm wondering whether the policy isn't a smokescreen for some kind of conservative social agenda. It seems they could just invoke "caveat emptor" and make a statement that they won't accept liability for "services" of this type. I guess it wouldn't stop disgruntled people from calling customer service, though.

I honestly think it is the issue of non-tangible goods. It's all very well to say they accept no liability - but real live stores can't pull caveat emptor. And in cases of actual fraud - they could be held liable along with their sellers. If a music store finds it has unknowingly been selling pirated CDs, they are as liable as their supplier. Ignorance is no defence in law.