Unfamiliar Spreads...What do you do?

SagiChar

I feel like this is a silly question...but I think about it almost every time I do a new spread...one that I'm not familiar with. (I hope this question was okay here, I was debating on whether or not it belonged in the Spreads' section...)

Here's my question: When you are doing an unfamiliar spread...do you just flip the cards over into the positions they belong in...or, do you concentrate on what the position MEANS - WHILE you are laying out the cards?

Hope my question makes sense to you guys!!

MissMacchiato

I feel like this is a silly question...but I think about it almost every time I do a new spread...one that I'm not familiar with. (I hope this question was okay here, I was debating on whether or not it belonged in the Spreads' section...)

Here's my question: When you are doing an unfamiliar spread...do you just flip the cards over into the positions they belong in...or, do you concentrate on what the position MEANS - WHILE you are laying out the cards?

Hope my question makes sense to you guys!!

I always think about what each position means as I lay out the cards.

I think of each question I am requesting as I accept the card from the querant, or alternatively, as I choose the card myself (for a personal reading), and I then place it where it is supposed to go.

Does that make sense?

Grizabella

I don't think of the specific position meaning of each one, if that's what you're asking. If I'm doing a Celtic Cross, for instance, I just put out the ten cards in the proper arrangement and then read each one as it pertains to the position description. Or if I'm doing a 7 card reading, I lay out the 7 cards and then think of the position meanings as I read each card.

ThunderWolf

I like to go over the meanings in my mind once or twice before using a spread the first time, but once I've done that I shuffle and lay out the cards as Grizabella does.

It doesn't matter whether I consciously remember what each position even means once I've gone over it once or twice so long as I am able to refer to something to remind me once the cards are laid. I figure that way on some level I know what they are before I do the spread even if I can't consciously remember what they're meant to be without a reference.

Zephyros

It's true, spreads have no more meaning for me than any other arbitrary arrangement. In fact, the only spread I actually remember by heart is the CC, which I use for first time readers, as it gives a nice story. Usually though, I read without one, or if the question demands it, I make one up on the fly. I guess whatever comes up is what should come up in the correct position.

I don't always have the querent choose the cards, either, sometimes I do. It seems to work in any case. It's nice to know you can't really botch up Tarot if your heart is in the right place. It really isn't about the mechanics of the reading. :)

SagiChar

Ah, thanks so much everyone....

MissMacchiato said:
I always think about what each position means as I lay out the cards.

I think of each question I am requesting as I accept the card from the querant, or alternatively, as I choose the card myself (for a personal reading), and I then place it where it is supposed to go.

Does that make sense?

Yes, that makes sense because that's pretty much what I do! I just felt like it was "messin' with my mojo"!!

I don't use a lot of different spreads, but, when I do...I'll catch myself slowing down my process so that I know exactly which card means what and where it goes, and I just feel like that wasn't working for me.

Grizabella said:
I don't think of the specific position meaning of each one, if that's what you're asking. If I'm doing a Celtic Cross, for instance, I just put out the ten cards in the proper arrangement and then read each one as it pertains to the position description. Or if I'm doing a 7 card reading, I lay out the 7 cards and then think of the position meanings as I read each card.

Yes, that's what I was asking - so good to know!!!

ThunderWolf said:
I like to go over the meanings in my mind once or twice before using a spread the first time, but once I've done that I shuffle and lay out the cards as Grizabella does.

GREAT!! That's exactly what I'm going to do from now on...familiarize myself with the spread and the meanings - briefly - then let the cards fly! I'll like this way SO much better and I know the flow of things will make me feel more comfortable as well! Thanks Grizabella and ThunderWolf!!

closrapexa said:
It's nice to know you can't really botch up Tarot if your heart is in the right place. It really isn't about the mechanics of the reading.

It's true...you're right!!! :heart:

Thanks so much for your replies everyone...I know Tarot is a "do it your own way" kind of thing...but I was getting a bit frustrated, so I appreciate you giving me your take. It's helped a lot!! Now I don't have to take forever looking back and forth from the layout positions - to the cards - from the cards to the layout positions etc...!!! :thumbsup:

KMilliron

As egotistical as it sounds (let's be honest, I'm an aries. It's kinda expected) I usually only use my own spreads. In that case I re-read the description for each one, then lay the cards out WITHOUT thinking about the specific position, and then I read.

SagiChar

KMilliron said:
As egotistical as it sounds (let's be honest, I'm an aries. It's kinda expected) I usually only use my own spreads. In that case I re-read the description for each one, then lay the cards out WITHOUT thinking about the specific position, and then I read.

TOO Funny!!!

This makes sense though (not about you being egotistical....ha!!!) that since you use your own spreads (I'm jealous!), that you are familiar enough with them that you don't have to sit there and him and haw back and forth....it's already ingrained in you what the meanings are and positions....so just flipping the cards into their positions must seem pretty natural.

I was getting stressed with...oh, this card, in this position means this (flips the card), this card will mean this (looks over at the position and definition of position - then flips card into the position), just a pain in the rear!! I'm not going to worry about that anymore!!! :D

Cenozoic

Don't worry about wondering what each position means while you're putting it down. Look up the positions afterwards while you're revealing them, or done revealing them all. I play around with many unfamiliar spreads this way.

SagiChar

Thanks Cenozoic...it makes me feel so much better....not to have to worry about the positions...I have a feeling my readings with unfamiliar spreads will be much easier/better now! It's also just nice to hear that nobody else puts much stock into that aspect either!!!