My Gilded Tarot cards are mean to me!

CelestialHorse

So, I wanted to ask my cards why am I depressed/anxious, blah blah, get some advice, behold, the cards looked positive in a way which doesn't make sense. I was expecting 10 of swords, etc or something for why am I depressed, blah blah.

Oh get this, I asked if I will find true love and true REAL friends. Got 3 swords and 10 swords. So I was like okay cards, one more chance but I felt irritated while shuffling and honestly? I felt irritated and not connected with the deck since I started using the Gilded.

So I was like ya know, screw you cards, then put them in the trash. Yay hopefully my new Rider Waite cards will be nice.

Is my irritation coming from the cards or just not connecting? I'm fine with the truth but I just think my cards are full of crap :/

ThunderWolf

Do you have a dx of any kind of depressive and/or anxiety disorder? I do. With me it's organic. In other words, the naturally occurring brain chemicals get out of whack, and I feel anxiety or depression when there's no logical reason I should be feeling that way. In that sense it really is a physical illness.

I mention this for two reasons. 1) You seem to be having these feelings and don't know where they're coming from. (Common with organic disorders such as mine.) 2) I've experienced exactly what you're describing right down to it affecting the accuracy of the reading.

It's been my experience that I can have a perfectly good deck that is normally wonderful to work with and gives very accurate readings. But as soon as I end up in that space and start asking the cards why, all I get is non-sense from them.

Don't blame the cards. If I were you I'd fish them from the trash, clean them off, and put them aside for when your head is in a better space. Sometimes it's not that the deck isn't compatible with us but that our head just is not in the right space to be reading. And if we're asking why we feel the way we do when the answer is that there is a chemical imbalance in our brain and everything else is fine, how on earth are we going to be able to interpret that from the cards even if they are giving us an accurate answer? ;)

CelestialHorse

Heh yeah :/ I do have depression(A therapist said I have dsthymic depression (Mild) and moderate to severe anxiety (Mostly social or general). I do get told I am very hard on myself and I tend to over think too D: (Guess that's the Virgo rising in me heh). Never heard of organic disorders but will google that :D Yeah :/ hard to say with cards sometimes D: Ah well. Good to know I'm not the only one that gets nonsense from cards who knows maybe they're saying "Well you already know..." or it's something not to ask when you're in an off mood, who knows D:

Sulis

I'd say that your irritation is because you're not getting the cards that you want to see so you've decided that somehow you're pulling the 'wrong' cards.

With tarot you have to be open to receiving the message that you need to hear. Basically if you can't accept what you're being given then maybe you shouldn't be asking.

It's best to try not to have a preconceived idea of what the answer to your question is, otherwise what's the point?

ThunderWolf

Never heard of organic disorders but will google that

The technical term is physiological. It just means that there is a physical cause to a psychological disorder. Most depressive disorders fall into this category, and I suspect that the anxiety ones may also. My doctor believes my generalized anxiety disorder is the result of past drug use. The only way I can imagine that would have such a powerful and long-term effect is if the drug-use somehow changed my brain chemistry, thus my supposition that anxiety disorders might also be organic/physiological.

triple_entendre

It's been my experience that I can have a perfectly good deck that is normally wonderful to work with and gives very accurate readings. But as soon as I end up in that space and start asking the cards why, all I get is non-sense from them.
When I get in that space, actually, my deck deals the four of cups. Five of cups, if it was an underlying physiological condition that was externally triggered. I'd thought it would be pentacles, what with it being a physical neurological thingummy...?

CelestialHorse said:
I'm fine with the truth but I just think my cards are full of crap :/
Well, maybe all the happy cards were suggesting that you were being "left out" when it came to so many other people's happiness? Perhaps that contrast is what might have been causing you grief.

And, the true love true friends swords thing... lots of legends about swords tie them to truth. Perhaps you'll have the good fortune to love someone who loves you back, but some other complication other than mutual feelings keeps you painfully apart. That complication wouldn't make the love itself less true. Or, maybe your true friends would be the type to tell you to your face if you've done something to offend them-- and you would take it as enmity, when on their side it was really a gesture of utmost respect (some people think it's more respectful of someone's feelings to complain behind their back.)

On the other hand, some decks really are just weird. I always just foist them off on someone else instead of toss them, since some people just like the art, or others can connect another way.

Here's an interesting article about connecting on a spiritual level. Right now I believe that I have a couple of spirits that seem to nudge the readings "off" but luckily my deck is formidable enough in herself that it doesn't happen when it's really important.

AJ

So, I wanted to ask my cards why am I depressed/anxious, blah blah, get some advice, behold, the cards looked positive in a way which doesn't make sense. I was expecting 10 of swords, etc or something for why am I depressed, blah blah.

You already knew you were depressed, what the cards gave you to think about was advice probably. And that wouldn't be lie down and have a moan, the 10 of swords.
You didn't say if you laid out positions (2 cards with specific queries because that was two questions...) or if you throw out a row of cards based on an ambiguous thought and try to make a meaningful story sentence out of them.

A reading isn't a tv program where the plot has been written and rewritten until we have a beginning, middle, and end, all wrapped up neatly.

A reading hands us a jumble which stays a jumble if we aren't specific or look for preconceived meanings.

The problems aren't in a RWS clone which is what the Gilded is, just give them a chance to speak to you. I've often lived with black depression too and my cards are one of my prime comforts because they force me to look beyond the confines of my skull.
Let us know how it goes and best wishes.
A reading takes longer than a 30 second quick glance

gregory

I'd say that your irritation is because you're not getting the cards that you want to see so you've decided that somehow you're pulling the 'wrong' cards.

With tarot you have to be open to receiving the message that you need to hear. Basically if you can't accept what you're being given then maybe you shouldn't be asking.

It's best to try not to have a preconceived idea of what the answer to your question is, otherwise what's the point?

I agree with Sulis except that I'd have said the cards you EXPECTED to see.

And WHY you are depressed may not be an unhappy thing at all. If you'd pulled the 10 for that - it would have told you that you were depressed. But you knew that.

Hell - the thing that finally put me in hospital all those years ago now was my daughters graduating and one of them getting engaged. Tipped me over the edge, all that good news ! They said I effectively blew a fuse.

As for the thing about true friends - maybe those cards were telling you that no - not while you are so low. You probably know that too...

Dain

I've fought depression too and sometimes I get the Ten of Swords when a card position has to do with me at that particular moment in time.
Sometimes the cards show something we lack, that happens to be the answer to our question; something we need to develop.

I certainly agree with what others have said in this topic and I'll only repeat that, from my personal experience, when I do a reading while I'm really upset, more often than not I can't understand what the cards are telling me. But I write down the spread and card names and very, very often the meaning becomes apparent after I've calmed down. Not always, but certainly very often.

entropy

My only comment is that you might want to re-think how you dispose of your cards. It depends on how you think of them... In my little world, there's a transfer of energy to anything I handle repeatedly, particularly something that's so deeply tied to my innermost thoughts and concerns. I don't want to send little pieces of myself off into the world with the tuna salad that's gone all funky. If you're determined to be rid of the cards, I'd fish them out of the garbage and burn them.