Ink coming off card edges....

Winterchild

Some card decks I have noticed, particularly darker colours have a tendency for the colour to rub off the edges leaving white marks...... my Legacy of the Divine has done it after just one shuffle....! Also my Tarot of Vampyres is going the same way.....

Both are by Llewellyn... I wondered if this happens to all dark bordered decks or just certain print runs?

Disa

Not sure if it happens to all of them, but- a long, long time ago when I got my gilded deck- I used a sharpie to color the edges of each card black- the very edges which are usually white or grey or whatever. I have had no scratching off of the faces of the card and they look so shiny when stacked up :) It took a long time to do it, but it was worth it to me. I wish they all were like that, but I've never done it to another deck.

ThunderWolf

I just had a look through a Legacy deck I've used many times. The only examples of this I could find, though numerous, were barely perceptible, and they were all on the center of the left edge where my thumb ring brushes against them. I guess I'm going to have to start removing the ring when the cards come out.

MermaidFeet

I've got this on my steampunk, world spirit and legacy -all black borders. My WST even came with a little white bubble on the back edge of my Sibyl of Cups; annoying really as I always know that card when I fan them. She also happens to be one of my signifiers... but I digress. Yes. All of my black-bordered decks seemed to rub off or fade within a use of two. However, as I use then the rubbing off lessens. My wST does have a slightly weathered look though and I've only had it since early this year. It's my go to deck. Legacy. I've used far less.

CelestialHorse

I have noticed that too with the Gilded I used to have. The borders would start turning white (which is weird since I didn't even have it for a month). I thought it just was because it was getting worn out or the material is kinda cheap?

Winterchild

New v Older

I am wondering if its the more recent printings that are more susceptible to this? I did think about black sharpie but thought it might look odd on the face of the cards..... as it has that slightly shiny black look. I wouldn't mind at all if it was age and use and real wearing, but this is just almost instant like the ink isnt too stable....

Padma

I've had this happen with other decks too, as well as the gilded. I think it is the shuffling - I shuffle hard ;) but it could just be the cardstock...

CelestialHorse

LOL yeah I shuffle hard too. Poor cards :p

missy

Some card decks I have noticed, particularly darker colours have a tendency for the colour to rub off the edges leaving white marks...... my Legacy of the Divine has done it after just one shuffle....! Also my Tarot of Vampyres is going the same way.....

Both are by Llewellyn... I wondered if this happens to all dark bordered decks or just certain print runs?

I personally am not that impressed with Llewellyn cardstock.

I have the Steampunk tarot (Llewelyn) and it has black borders. When I received it, I must have looked at it cross-eyed (hadn't even read with it, shuffled or hardly touched the cards) and spots began to appear on the black borders. (Leaving white exposed.) It arrived with some chips to begin with, which wasn't a good sign. But then on its own, other white spots started to appear. :bugeyed: I love the deck, but I am pointing it out as it is a characteristic of the cardstock.

The Fairy Ring Oracle is published by Llewelyn. The cardstock is very thin. It is okay, but not great.

I don't recommend the Sharpie, because I did try it with one card, and then that card was very noticeable from the side. So ... I don't know.

Black borders have been discussed in other threads ... maybe having a matte deck with black borders is worse, but then I got the Mary-el (shiny, not matte) and it had issues with lamination, etc. The print quality (Schiffer) didn't seem to be there. Or maybe I just got one out of a bad batch.

In contrast, I have the Dark Angels tarot by Lo Scarabeo. Matte cardstock, black borders. Really nice cardstock. No issues with chipping.

I also have the first edition Quantum (now OOP) published several years ago by Kunati with the fabulous silver gilded edges (like the Bohemian Gothic pewter. Yes, it is fabulous. :D ) It is matte cardstock and it isn't chippy.

Therefore, I still think if they started with a good cardstock to begin with that there would be less issues. (Including cards with black borders.) And I don't think most are using cardstock as good now as it was in years past.

missy

I am wondering if its the more recent printings that are more susceptible to this? I did think about black sharpie but thought it might look odd on the face of the cards..... as it has that slightly shiny black look. I wouldn't mind at all if it was age and use and real wearing, but this is just almost instant like the ink isnt too stable....

I agree. I can literally see the ink falling off the Steampunk! :eek:

I try to treat her carefully. :D

Chippy, chippy ... with such gorgeous artwork, you'd think more thought would have gone into the cardstock.