YOUR five star oracle decks

greatdane

I notice there are no five star oracle decks unless I missed something. For those of you who use any non-tarot deck (including lenormand, as I believe here they would fall under oracle, if non-tarot and oracle are the only two drop down menu choices under CARDS section), what are your five star decks?

Wynter_Wytch

Ciro Marchetti's Oracle of Visions. I can't get a feeling for most oracle decks, but Oracle of Visions has the distinction of being the only oracle deck with which I have made an instant connection. The cards are so intrinsically accessible, that I find I don't need the book. My only complaint is that the cards are just a tad too big for my small hands to shuffle well; however, given that they are well-made and sturdy with lovely gilt edges, I have chosen to overlook that.

greatdane

Question please Wynter_Wytch

You mentioned finding the deck very accessible. I was wondering, as I am not very familiar with the decke, just seen a few scans (which were very lovely), is there something in particular you resonate with? The images themselves, or the style in which they're done in, or both? You mentioned not feeling a need for the book, they are so available to you, and I just find that really interesting and would enjoy knowing more of your thoughts regarding this deck.

Wynter_Wytch

Possibly helpful reply...

I am not sure that I can explain why I resonate with this deck so well, but I will give it a go. If you go to Ciro Marchetti's website, you can see pictures of some of the cards. I will use cards 1, 2 and 5 to illustrate my point; since they are all pictured and the detail fairly clear, I will use them to try to explain what I see. I've never actually read the book, but I have scanned over the meanings of some of the cards I've drawn for daily reads. Most of the time I match the author's intent, at least fairly closely. Sometimes not at all, but I am okay with that.

Although I looked long and hard at the images before ordering the deck, there is really nothing like having the card in your hand and really focusing on the intricate details.

In card 5, we see a woman, clearly an adventurer, with one foot on a plank and one foot extended into the air. Above her flies a wooden ship, not flying under its own power, but suspended by the wings of birds--a lantern lights the way forward. Rationally, one realizes that the birds should not be able to support the weight of the ship and keep it airborne. But they do. Similarly, the woman has a strange, flimsy-looking contraption of small wings strapped to her back. The wings appear mechanically too small, the silk too frail to support her weight in a glide. Yet, the birds continue to support the weight of the ship. Intuitively, my mind supplies the meaning "leap of faith." And, if I draw that card, I meditate on that message, on situations where I am asked to take action or refrain from acting purely on faith; particularly of concern and always uppermost in my mind is the question, "Do I have enough factual data amassed to trust the rest to faith?"

In card 2, we see a woman, impossibly pale, with elaborately coiffed white hair in a similarly pale silver gown. A swan's head and neck appear to emerge from the thick curls atop her head. Around the swan's neck is a scarlet ribbon. The woman's only coloring appears to be her scarlet lips, rouged cheeks, and a red rose adorning a silver collar at her throat. A prosthetic silver beak is tied to her nose. At her right and left appear silvery white birds possessing silver collars. Their only coloration is red feathers at their throats and on their "cheeks." They have long, pointed silvery beaks. This woman has changed herself to fit in, to mimic those around her. Society dictates that we all conform our behavior and dress to certain norms. However, this card always reminds me to stop and question conformity, to really think about whether I am losing too much of what makes me "me" in order to fit in. And, it also reminds me to reality check myself when I start to make a snap judgment about appearances.

Conversely, In card 1 we see a lovely young woman, who appears nude, clutching what seems to be a brightly colored silk cloth to her naked flesh. She is masked and wears "horns" similar to those of a harlequin. She stands with her eyes closed in seeming peaceful contentment. Three doves fly free above a colorful treasure box; illumination streams from the heavens, although the full moon behind her gives clear evidence that it is night. An elaborate, closed wrought iron gate separates her from the trees and flowers behind, which appear to be misted over in the distance as if she is standing in a small sanctuary floating in the clouds. Some days, I read this card as needing to close the world away, to seek inner peace separate from other people, to close my eyes and get in touch with me again and shut out life's problems. Some days, I ascribe to the lady the attributes of the horned one, the devil in the major arcana--not evil but temptation--the need to give into temptation sometimes, to wrap myself in silk and just feel good, to buy a small gift for myself that will bring me peace and contentment, maybe chocolate or a new pair of shoes, or even take myself on a mini-vacation, somewhere where I can shut out the world behind an iron gate. The meaning is what I need it to be; my subconscious mind knows what it needs, what I need, and fills in the blanks appropriately to bring that awareness to my conscious mind.

I don't know if this answers your question, but I really feel that I can derive something meaningful from The Oracle of Visions just by studying each card closely, looking at not just what's happening, but the context, the colors, and the innate emotional reaction to the totality of the card. Even if it wasn't the meaning that Ciro intended, as long as the "reader" can interpret the card in such a way as to get a beneficial "message", hasn't the oracle done its job well? By not knowing the intended meaning beforehand, I think it leaves the individual "free", if you will, to interpret the card in a way that is unique but still valid for that individual.

Your thoughts? I don't post very much, so this may not be the insightful answer you were looking for. I hope it helps you see where I am coming from, though.

greatdane

Lovely wynter_wytch!

Very well done. I think it was an excellent job of explaining which for anyone can be difficult to explain, why certain decks resonate with us. I really enjoyed reading your descriptions. Thank you!

MoonGypsy

Very well done. I think it was an excellent job of explaining which for anyone can be difficult to explain, why certain decks resonate with us. I really enjoyed reading your descriptions. Thank you!

i agree wholeheartedly with gd! A very thorough and excellent explanation! :thumbsup:

MagsStardustBlack

Ciro Marchetti's Oracle of Visions. I can't get a feeling for most oracle decks, but Oracle of Visions has the distinction of being the only oracle deck with which I have made an instant connection. The cards are so intrinsically accessible, that I find I don't need the book. My only complaint is that the cards are just a tad too big for my small hands to shuffle well; however, given that they are well-made and sturdy with lovely gilt edges, I have chosen to overlook that.

I didn't know about the Oracle of Visions.... I have Legacy and read very well with it, i'm going to look into this deck Wynter Wytch - thanks for bringing to my attention :.)

Love and Light

Mags

Wynter_Wytch

I am glad my answer was at least somewhat helpful to you both. If you get a chance to swap for the deck or use a friend's Oracle of Visions, I encourage you to give it a try. I consider anything over $25 US to be pricey, so I would never advocate buying it if you're not sure you want it, but I do love the deck and think it's worth a hands on try if the price is right.

Shuffle and randomly pull a card; quietly meditate on it and deconstruct the images. Reassemble and interpret the images, colors, shadows, etc. in a way that just makes sense to you. After all, you're not reading the card to "get" what Ciro intended it to mean, but what you need it to mean.

I like being able to intuitively resonate with a deck, sans book, whether it be an oracle or a tarot deck. I think the reason I am unable to do that with the other oracle decks I have tried is that the imagery is too far removed from my paradigm of what the universe should be. I find that Ciro's artwork, while dreamy and fantastic, still comports with my basic sense of reality--people look like human beings, trees look like trees, if there is light then there is also shadow, etc.

I think each person has a point at which he or she can no longer suspend belief, where imagery becomes too fantastic, too outside the realm of the norm. I believe when that point is reached, we may find the artwork of an oracle beautiful (or even repellent), but we can no longer make a connection with it, for the purposes of deriving meaning from it, as our ability to resonate with it is gone.

What do you think?

Wynter_Wytch

You are very welcome Mags. You can see many of the card images on CM's website. If you do end up reading with them, please PM me and let me know how that went.

MagsStardustBlack

You are very welcome Mags. You can see many of the card images on CM's website. If you do end up reading with them, please PM me and let me know how that went.

His website is amazing - i guess that when i visited his website 2 years ago i fell in love with Legacy and that is all i wanted - i bought the standard deck and then had the Special Edition gifted to me which i so so gorgeous. So i looked no further with his art and looked to other artists.

I have one oracle Frouds Faerie's Oracle wich i would give 5 stars as it is just unbelievable with this mans talent, his mind must be a truly beautiful twisted magical place to be. Froud is iconic, he is my childhood hero - his art directed my childhood and took me on wild adventures in the woods with the Fae, my childhood would have been very different if i had never knows his art.

Five Stars to Frouds Faerie's :.)))))))

Yes Wynter Wytch i will let you know how i get on if i get the Oracle Visions deck by Ciro, thank's again.

Mags.